Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14462436 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #7605 on: April 11, 2012, 08:21:47 pm »

Apparently the laws of thermodynamics prevents evolution from occurring.  EVER.  Heck, when I was a Christian I knew this thermodynamics thing was totally bogus.
Warning: Continuous exposure to the Right Wing Watch Blog may result in rage-induced cardiac arrest.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7606 on: April 11, 2012, 08:55:38 pm »

The weirdest thing is that he goes in saying he'll disprove evolution with thermodynamics but goes on to argue against something completely irrelevant.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7607 on: April 11, 2012, 08:56:25 pm »

Apparently the laws of thermodynamics prevents evolution from occurring.  EVER.  Heck, when I was a Christian I knew this thermodynamics thing was totally bogus.

from what I heard, he said that the universe shouldn't exist because 'you cannot create or destroy energy or matter'

he fails to realise they can shange between energy and matter. matter is basically just condensed energy.

this is why people like that are people I tend to hate. look at their own arguement 'oh, hey! it has no flaws whatsoever!' then everyone points them all out.

Also, he insinuates that the solar system is the extent of the universe, although that may be just poor wording.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: April 11, 2012, 08:58:34 pm »

Considering the individual we're talking about here, I wouldn't be surprised if he thought the Solar System was the extent of our reality.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #7609 on: April 11, 2012, 08:58:45 pm »

from what I heard, he said that the universe shouldn't exist because 'you cannot create or destroy energy or matter'

he fails to realise they can shange between energy and matter. matter is basically just condensed energy.

this is why people like that are people I tend to hate. look at their own arguement 'oh, hey! it has no flaws whatsoever!' then everyone points them all out.

Also, he insinuates that the solar system is the extent of the universe, although that may be just poor wording.

Or watching Firefly.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: April 11, 2012, 08:59:24 pm »

It's not even a matter of that. It's a particularily lame attempt to pull a "prime mover" argument. Particularily lame because it starts with a nonsequitur (Lavoisier's law concerns chemical reactions. It makes little sense to start drawing cosmogonical conclusions out of it).
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: April 11, 2012, 08:59:34 pm »

It would not surprise me in the slightest if he genuinely believes that. After all, if he can't stand on other planets and the holey babble doesn't mention other star systems or galaxies, they obviously can't exist.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7612 on: April 11, 2012, 09:00:47 pm »

My mom just now realized that Puff the Magic Dragon was about pot. She grew up in the 70s, and I knew that from my first hearing of the song. Wth?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #7613 on: April 11, 2012, 09:11:03 pm »

My mom just now realized that Puff the Magic Dragon was about pot. She grew up in the 70s, and I knew that from my first hearing of the song. Wth?

Eh? I don't think it is...

*checks Wiki*

After the song's initial success, speculation arose -- as early as a 1964 article in Newsweek -- that the song contained veiled references to smoking marijuana.[5] For example, the word "paper" in the name of Puff's human friend (Jackie Paper) was said to be a reference to rolling papers, and the word "dragon" was interpreted as "draggin'," i.e. inhaling smoke; similarly, the name "Puff" was alleged to be a reference to taking a "puff" on a joint. The supposition was claimed to be common knowledge in a letter by a member of the public to The New York Times in 1984.[6]
The authors of the song have repeatedly rejected this urban legend and have strongly and consistently denied that they intended any references to drug use.[7] Peter Yarrow has frequently explained that "Puff" is about the hardships of growing older and has no relationship to drug-taking.[8][9] He has also said of the song that it "never had any meaning other than the obvious one" and is about the "loss of innocence in children".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7614 on: April 11, 2012, 09:15:23 pm »

Eh? I don't think it is...

*checks Wiki*

After the song's initial success, speculation arose -- as early as a 1964 article in Newsweek -- that the song contained veiled references to smoking marijuana.[5] For example, the word "paper" in the name of Puff's human friend (Jackie Paper) was said to be a reference to rolling papers, and the word "dragon" was interpreted as "draggin'," i.e. inhaling smoke; similarly, the name "Puff" was alleged to be a reference to taking a "puff" on a joint. The supposition was claimed to be common knowledge in a letter by a member of the public to The New York Times in 1984.[6]
The authors of the song have repeatedly rejected this urban legend and have strongly and consistently denied that they intended any references to drug use.[7] Peter Yarrow has frequently explained that "Puff" is about the hardships of growing older and has no relationship to drug-taking.[8][9] He has also said of the song that it "never had any meaning other than the obvious one" and is about the "loss of innocence in children".
Sure as hell sounds like it, though. I'm not entirely convinced that the band isn't just trolling.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: April 11, 2012, 09:16:42 pm »

Could be, who knows. I remember watching the kids' cartoon when I was little. It was pretty bizarre.

ETA:
Actually, if you watch the old cartoon and consider the allegations of drug references, it seems to imply that smoking pot will make you more sociable. Heh.

ETA II:
Watching that old cartoon now. So... weird... and nostalgic. Man, I haven't seen this thing since I was five or so, and suddenly I remember all the music...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PvvLJSmg8s&feature=related
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:22:43 pm by Lord Dullard »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7616 on: April 11, 2012, 09:26:29 pm »

Going back to an earlier post, I think Youtube is indeed borked right now. I tried resetting the modem as per a suggestion, and it didn't work. I still can't upload anything.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: April 11, 2012, 09:29:09 pm »

There's a poster here- forget his name- whose avatar is of two Nyancats with the caption "Double Nyancat! What does it mean?"

Well, here's the answer.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #7618 on: April 11, 2012, 09:51:56 pm »

I really doubt the band who specialized in saccharine covers of Bob Dylan songs for the mainstream would intentionally sing a song about drugs. Of course, considering Peter didn't even really write the thing and it was his college roommate it's possible that was the original intent. But I really doubt that too. I just think that people in the sixties liked to interpret songs as being about drugs whether there was any truth to it or not. Look at Mr. Tambourine Man which obviously isn't about drugs if you read the lyrics, or Norwegian Wood, which is obviously just about a spurned adulterer setting his mistress's house on fire. How about Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds? That's basically just a re-interpretation of one of the early chapters in Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: April 11, 2012, 09:58:22 pm »

I really doubt the band who specialized in saccharine covers of Bob Dylan songs for the mainstream would intentionally sing a song about drugs. Of course, considering Peter didn't even really write the thing and it was his college roommate it's possible that was the original intent. But I really doubt that too. I just think that people in the sixties liked to interpret songs as being about drugs whether there was any truth to it or not. Look at Mr. Tambourine Man which obviously isn't about drugs if you read the lyrics, or Norwegian Wood, which is obviously just about a spurned adulterer setting his mistress's house on fire. How about Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds? That's basically just a re-interpretation of one of the early chapters in Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass.

Norwegian Wood is as you say. Lucy, OTOH... I wouldn't doubt for a second that a lot of The Beatles' stuff is drug-inspired.
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 11040