Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14454768 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #5955 on: March 01, 2012, 04:51:58 pm »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: March 01, 2012, 04:52:22 pm »

So my ICT teacher is at it again, today he said Microsoft sucks and everyone should convert to Mac (my face was full of horror when I heard this).

And some people were convinced, because, hey, he's a teacher!

nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

Ug. Post like this make it really hard to restrain my irrational undying hatred for Apple enough to not spend the three or four hours it would take to wipe out most macs.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: March 01, 2012, 05:12:10 pm »

Isn't it nigh impossible for a system - any computer system - to be 100% virus free? All they are are algorithms, so finding a hole may be a monumental task but it isn't impossible, and even the U.S military recognizes that someone with no life is perfect for pulling off mad stunts like that (read: taking out somolian pirates).

Spoiler: mac jokes (click to show/hide)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: March 01, 2012, 05:13:34 pm »

So my ICT teacher is at it again, today he said Microsoft sucks and everyone should convert to Mac (my face was full of horror when I heard this).

And some people were convinced, because, hey, he's a teacher!

nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.
Cue convinced people complaining thier stuff doesn't work/their games don't work/where is everything.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: March 01, 2012, 05:25:46 pm »

Isn't it nigh impossible for a system - any computer system - to be 100% virus free? All they are are algorithms, so finding a hole may be a monumental task but it isn't impossible, and even the U.S military recognizes that someone with no life is perfect for pulling off mad stunts like that (read: taking out somolian pirates).

Not only are you correct, but when one of the tech sites did an exhaustive study of OS's several years ago (It was right after Vista came out, but Vista was not included because it was too new) Macs came in second last in terms of security (Between WIndows XP and several varieties of Linux.) The article I remember reading is one I can't find online anymore, but this was a combination of fairly large security holes combined with the total ignorance of safe browsing options. For reference, Red Hat took first, XP placed second, and the current version of Ubuntu placed last. I don't remember what other versions were tested.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: March 01, 2012, 06:41:17 pm »

Just heard that a teacher at another school told his graphics class that Adobe Illustrator is old news and that Corel Draw is the new industry standard.
I hate that program. Probably talking out of his ass anyway.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: March 01, 2012, 06:53:55 pm »

That first one? It isn't a joke... Windows is so virus prone because so many people use it so if you want the most hits, you build for the most popular platform.

Fun fact: Google employees use Apple computers instead of Windows, but why you might ask? Three reasons, firstly because they can still use Java thanks to all the hard work Sun did, nothing that Apple did themselves, secondly due to less viruses because nobody uses apple, and thirdly because less things work on apple, so less likely for employees to play games on their work computer.

No shit, those are the three reasons detailed in their procurement documentation.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: March 01, 2012, 07:53:07 pm »

Quote from: Max White link=topic=68850.msg3054334#msg3054334
...and thirdly because less things work on apple, so less likely for employees to play games on their work computer.
Now that's smart...

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: March 01, 2012, 09:40:20 pm »

Cisco uses Macs in their offices, too My instructor cringed every time he said that.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: March 01, 2012, 09:43:26 pm »

You'd think they'd use Linux if they really were intent on the no games part.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: March 01, 2012, 09:50:05 pm »

You'd think they'd use Linux if they really were intent on the no games part.
Most managers consider Linux to be below witchcraft on a list of things acceptable to use in the office. If they even know what the word means beyond something I heard a computer guy say once. I don't know what excuses tech companies have though.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: March 01, 2012, 09:52:04 pm »

Linux, open office, GIMP, heck anything that works well for free. The middle managers will have none of it.

I think it has something to do with the fact that who ever spends the most seems to be doing the most important job, thus is most likely to get promoted.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: March 01, 2012, 09:55:07 pm »

If they really did that they'd pay the employees more :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: March 01, 2012, 09:56:42 pm »

You might think that, but upper management sometimes looks at the budget, and when they see money going into procurement they think "Ooh good! More assets for the company!" but when they see it going into wages they get annoyed that it isn't funding their next vacation.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: March 01, 2012, 10:02:08 pm »

My programming prof absolutely hates both Microsoft and Apple. The only operating system she likes is one that was specific to the robotics industry in the early 80s and has since vanished off the face of the planet.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 11040