Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449837 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #5610 on: February 24, 2012, 03:36:19 pm »

That's... pretty messed up, True. Other side screws up, you don't fix their problem, and instead of the magistrate telling the other side to fix it themselves, she throws you in a jail cell for... something. I think something's gone to someone's head... just maybe.

Anyway, dunno about win, but you seemed to have done relatively right (by letter, at least), so... non-defeat!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: February 24, 2012, 04:24:01 pm »

Huh.

No offense, but I don't know if I would hire a lawyer that I met because he was my cell mate.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: February 24, 2012, 04:28:41 pm »

You're also not the average criminal, what's more important, a lawyer you can relate to and might be able to give you an edge through his (sometimes shady) practices? Or one who's eyes you can always feel, judging you for what you've done, even though they will defend you before the court?
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: February 24, 2012, 04:35:48 pm »

Huh.

No offense, but I don't know if I would hire a lawyer when I meet him because he's my cell mate.

None taken.

Think about it, I'm in a room full of people who don't wanna be there and I'm a guy in a suit who knows how to get them out of that room.... :) I'm exactly who they wanna see.

Also, gotta remember though, you're sitting in a chair somewhere, comfortable chair? Not been hassled too much? Yeah, you haven't just been arrested, booked, detained, and sitting in a cell all night cause nobody made your bail, and said lawyer told you exactly how you could manage that. Then said lawyer got out in about 3 hours after you've been sitting there sobering up all night from your DUI.... :)

People really do ask "So what are you in for?"  I then explain why I'm there and ask why he's there. He then explains why he is and says something like "so you're a lawyer huh? Let me ask you ______." It goes from there.... :P.

Some lawyers get their clients at the country club, I get mine at the county jail. Meh.

That's... pretty messed up, True. Other side screws up, you don't fix their problem, and instead of the magistrate telling the other side to fix it themselves, she throws you in a jail cell for... something. I think something's gone to someone's head... just maybe.

Anyway, dunno about win, but you seemed to have done relatively right (by letter, at least), so... non-defeat!

O she's screwed. Why do you think they let me out so soon and didn't even record it? I didn't have to make bail; they just let me out free and clear. Charges dropped.

“A prerequisite to a charge of contempt for disobeying a court order is the existence of a valid order.” Cortland United Methodist Church v. Knowles, 11th Dist. No. 2006–T–0110, 2007-Ohio-3383, 2007 WL 1883273, at ¶ 33. They know this new magistrate doesn't have a valid court order and also that 5 other people have made complaints against her. Two of which have been found valid and three of which haven't been thrown out yet/ are still pending. Not a good sign for her continued employment.

In any event, an attorney politely saying "With all due respect Your Honor, I am merely objecting to the admissibility of this evidence on best evidence rule grounds," doesn't constitute contempt.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:40:39 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: February 24, 2012, 04:40:35 pm »

Hey, if they're willing to let you help them and eventually pay you back for your help, thats about as good a place as any for getting clients, isn't it?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: February 24, 2012, 04:41:19 pm »

Hey, if they're willing to let you help them and eventually pay you back for your help, thats about as good a place as any for getting clients, isn't it?

It's where I get most of my criminal defendant ones.... Through appointment or otherwise.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: February 24, 2012, 04:42:14 pm »

Damn Truean, they should make a primetime TV series about your life. The nerdy (you play DF, it's a compliment), cross-dressing lawyer who finds clients in jail and brings judges down a few pegs. Sounds interesting  :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: February 24, 2012, 04:46:54 pm »

Forget that, I want to see Truean appointed as a judge. The courtroom antics would make international headlines.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: February 24, 2012, 04:49:53 pm »

Damn Truean, they should make a primetime TV series about your life. The nerdy (you play DF, it's a compliment), cross-dressing lawyer who finds clients in jail and brings judges down a few pegs. Sounds interesting  :P

O, this is the first time this has happened. Hopefully the last. My first rule of law is to never piss off the judge. Magistrate/judge, with minor differences, six of one half dozen of the other....  Anyhow, that wasn't possible here.

I'm secretly trans and a bit of a nerd. The lie I live doesn't really reflect much of those things. [shrugs].

I dunno, I never actually thought she'd do this and I really am a bit hurt by the whole thing, but you sort of just have to roll with the suckiness of it.

Forget that, I want to see Truean appointed as a judge. The courtroom antics would make international headlines.

The headaches I have now are more than enough, thank you.

Please don't quote me.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: February 24, 2012, 04:52:25 pm »

I dunno, I never actually thought she'd do this and I really am a bit hurt by the whole thing, but you sort of just have to roll with the suckiness of it.

If she does eventually get fired you should have a party.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: February 24, 2012, 04:53:03 pm »

The headaches I have now are more than enough, thank you.
But your headaches would be from yelling at people in an attempt to keep order rather than from having to sell the jury your case. That, and banging the gavel. You know you want to bang the gavel, don't deny it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: February 24, 2012, 04:55:40 pm »

You know, who are we kidding the prideful, wrathful, part of me is all for that, but .... I realize how screwed up the legal job market is out there and I don't want her to lose her job.

I just want her not to do stuff like this.

Please don't quote me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: February 24, 2012, 04:57:41 pm »

O, this is the first time this has happened. Hopefully the last. My first rule of law is to never piss off the judge. Magistrate/judge, with minor differences, six of one half dozen of the other....  Anyhow, that wasn't possible here.

I'm secretly trans and a bit of a nerd. The lie I live doesn't really reflect much of those things. [shrugs].
Lot's of TV characters have secret lives that they lie about. They still make for great entertainment.

Still, it's your life and you're probably the best judge of that kind of thing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: February 24, 2012, 05:03:07 pm »

You know, who are we kidding the prideful, wrathful, part of me is all for that, but .... I realize how screwed up the legal job market is out there and I don't want her to lose her job.

I just want her not to do stuff like this.

Bah.  When people start tossing you in jail for no good reason you get to be a little wrathful.  :)  Think of it as celebrating someone else gaining a job in the legal job market.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: February 24, 2012, 06:54:56 pm »

ohey, they are wanting you to fix the large company's lawyers for them >.<

I used to think 'pssh, companies don't bribe nearly everyone important' now I'm seeing why people say they do.

So the Credit Card companies can rewrite the laws on bankruptcy and basically get rid of usury (interest rates so high they are illegal). Then they write the contracts overwhelmingly in their favor without giving you a choice. Finally, when they sue you, they submit an illegible document that is so smudged as "the contract" that you literally can't read it. They are essentially asking the judge to enter judgment in their favor under the terms of [blur]. .... ???

It's somehow my job to fix this? I have to litigate my side of the case and fix theirs?

Yeah, I wouldn't put it past them to be corrupt, or incompetent, whatever. They made a sworn statement in an affidavit to the court that their business records at the bank entitled them to 0% interest after a certain date. When I call them on this, they call it a clerical error. Gee, who is responsible for what you put in your sworn statements to the courtThey give me a stack of credit card statements in no order with no summary of accounts. it's their burden of proof to convince the court they win, but they throw that on me too?

.... Now I'm spending my Friday night researching stuff  about criminal contempt cases in case she tries anything and also about disqualification of magistrates.

What exactly do these guys at the bank do besides get paid?

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 11040