Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14458059 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #5100 on: February 15, 2012, 02:00:06 am »

We have two conversations going at once. One to do with rainbow coloured equines in pop culture, and the other to do with Asian fast food... In pop culture. You quoted the wrong one.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: February 15, 2012, 02:08:32 am »

I was intentionally trying to slickly alter the course of discussion back toward ramen noodles, but the attempt seems to have back-fired.

Yeah, the MLP thing has frankly baffled me, but I suppose I'd prefer not to understand it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: February 15, 2012, 02:13:23 am »

Sorry man, but I put so many skill points into subterfuge, the sapience level required to pull such a gambit off would be insurmountable.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: February 15, 2012, 02:20:45 am »

See second link in my sig if you want to actually discuss MLP, as discussion of the topic has been banned here (unless related to bay 12's games; see the mods threads). This includes whining and snarking in the rage and wtf threads.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: February 15, 2012, 02:48:10 am »

Wonderful quote targeting system you have installed.

What, we were talking about ramen noodles, right?

Basically, salt, Sodium Chloride is a poison, I don't know why people are so unconcerned about it's deleterious effect on their health. It's almost the sole physiological cause of essential hypertension.
It's also an ion that is vital in keeping things like your kidneys and nerves functioning. Don't get me wrong, that is a big part of why too much is gonna fuck you up, if I recall correctly, but calling it a poison is about as accurate as calling water a poison. You can overdose on both (and I'm not even referring to drowning), but you need a minimum amount in your diet. The main difference is that it's really hard to get too much water accidentally, and it's really easy to get enough salt without trying.

But I digress. The point I'm trying to make here, is that in many cases, it's a lot more complicated than "poison" vs "not poison".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: February 15, 2012, 02:49:54 am »

-snip-

Ack. Instant yakisoba and ramen are terrible for your health, guys. The amount of sodium and fat in those things are obscene, any money you save buying them for meals will be far outweighed by costs of treating it's effects on your kidneys and blood pressure a few years down the road.

But I love MSG,
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: February 15, 2012, 02:51:13 am »

-snip-

Ack. Instant yakisoba and ramen are terrible for your health, guys. The amount of sodium and fat in those things are obscene, any money you save buying them for meals will be far outweighed by costs of treating it's effects on your kidneys and blood pressure a few years down the road.

But I love MSG,
MSG gets me through the day.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: February 15, 2012, 02:51:55 am »

And it tastes so good, too! Who cares about the future, it's all about me!

That's how it works right?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: February 15, 2012, 02:52:09 am »

I finally broke 100 games on steam, holy shit i spent that much on games? O_o

also
-snip-

But I love MSG,
I got a bag of MSG in the house as a seasoning.......

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: February 15, 2012, 03:00:22 am »

Wonderful quote targeting system you have installed.

What, we were talking about ramen noodles, right?

Basically, salt, Sodium Chloride is a poison, I don't know why people are so unconcerned about it's deleterious effect on their health. It's almost the sole physiological cause of essential hypertension.
It's also an ion that is vital in keeping things like your kidneys and nerves functioning. Don't get me wrong, that is a big part of why too much is gonna fuck you up, if I recall correctly, but calling it a poison is about as accurate as calling water a poison. You can overdose on both (and I'm not even referring to drowning), but you need a minimum amount in your diet. The main difference is that it's really hard to get too much water accidentally, and it's really easy to get enough salt without trying.

But I digress. The point I'm trying to make here, is that in many cases, it's a lot more complicated than "poison" vs "not poison".

Right, "the dosage makes the poison" but you really need very little sodium chloride to stay healthy, far below the 2,500mg the daily recommended level in the US suggests. Less then 1,500mg a day would be better and the bare minimum to sustain life functions is like 25mg/day. Anything more then a minimum amount, is deleterious to your health because of how taxing it is on your body to eliminate.

What gets me is how pervasive sodium is in foods. It's in everything and a typical western person is almost certain to go over 2,500mg/day without even trying. It's simply way too much and people eating things like ramen noodles with 1600mg of sodium in a package, it's far beyond what you need and it essentially becomes a poisonous dosage if levels like that are consumed regularity.

I think MSG is safer to consume then excess sodium, unless you are sensitive to it which a lot of people are.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #5110 on: February 15, 2012, 03:48:55 am »

No studies have actually proven that ANYBODY is "sensitive" to MSG.

It's completely safe. Excluding any ridiculous amounts of the stuff, really.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: February 15, 2012, 04:03:09 am »

No studies have actually proven that ANYBODY is "sensitive" to MSG.

It's completely safe. Excluding any ridiculous amounts of the stuff, really.

You're probably right. Personally, I blame sulfites (or excessive sodium, again) for the symptoms and health issues attributed to MSG, since it's been demonized to the point where Chinese food joints don't even use the stuff anymore and instead use more salt and sulfites for preservatives.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: February 15, 2012, 07:01:21 am »

Got warned for 'image spam' by Threetoe; Recall using only two images in the last 24 hours.
WTF?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: February 15, 2012, 07:03:01 am »

Maybe you got reported by somebody who doesn't like you.
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 11040