Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443953 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #4080 on: January 15, 2012, 01:21:52 am »

That has got to be the strangest way to find your own doppelganger.
Not quite. Same-sex strip clubs.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: January 15, 2012, 01:30:40 am »

considering the fact that you'd probably have to willingly be in a same-sex stripclub to notice, it'd probably be one of the most delightful. Everyone is their own type.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: January 15, 2012, 03:56:09 am »

I was my type about a hundred pounds ago. Man, I really let myself go.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: January 15, 2012, 04:34:21 am »

Man, I'm wanting to play Dark Cloud 2 again.

This is in the WTF thread because that game is the most schizophrenic game I've ever played in terms of quality. The parts that are good, are great. The parts that are bad, are BAD. Generally I judge things based on how much time I spend thinking about them; if it really impacted me, I probably think about it a lot, long after finishing it.

I've written two essay length reviews on the damn game. And now I'm wanting to play it again. A game that I ostensibly think is not that great.

The aforementioned problems are bad enough that I really don't want to consider it a "favorite" of mine. I want to punch the main character in the face every time he opens his damn mouth, for example. I want to give the writer of the secondary protagonist a medal for actually succeeding in writing a female character that follows "strong character, female" instead of "strong female, character." So the two main protagonists include one so badly written that I hate his guts, and one so well written that she's probably one of my favorite fictional characters ever.

This is the tip of the iceberg of the wacky contrasting quality in this game. The main story has pathetic and incredible parts. The gameplay has pathetic and incredible parts. Perhaps the only things in the game of consistent quality is the graphics and music.

Dammit now I'm writing another review.

It's too bad it never got a proper sequel. It's nearly 10 years old now and only had a spiritual successor: Rogue Galaxy, a game that was laughably terrible. Well, at least in the hour or so I played of it; once they had the protagonist on a wooden ship, standing on the deck, in outer space, flying through a nebula (that's apparently really tiny), talking to the obvious love interest, I just laughed at how simultaneously cliche and nonsensical it was and turned it off.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: January 15, 2012, 06:47:52 am »

Just got a text from Google with a code. I always get this when I try to log in with my Gmail from place which I haven't marked as secure.
But I wasn't trying to log in..
I also got a warning from Facebook that some Taiwanese person was trying to log in but he couldn't because of his location.

I guess I'll have to change my passwords :(

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: January 15, 2012, 05:38:52 pm »

God damn Asia, and their dumb kiddos making virusses. I'd say we go on a rampage over there in a campaign of removing dumb teenagers from their computers.
Maybe we should do the same here in Europa, dumb virus pigs should be arrested and never let on a computer again.(Bolded this text to prevent instant rage button people from not reading it)

Also i figured out that AoD's IRL name is the same as my childhood fantasy friend, and the name we called my littlesister when she was a fetus we didnt know the gender of. He went apeshit about it, i have never seen an atheist light that much up about "coincedences"

Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: January 15, 2012, 06:29:30 pm »

Man, I'm wanting to play Dark Cloud 2 again.

This is in the WTF thread because that game is the most schizophrenic game I've ever played in terms of quality. The parts that are good, are great. The parts that are bad, are BAD. Generally I judge things based on how much time I spend thinking about them; if it really impacted me, I probably think about it a lot, long after finishing it.

I've written two essay length reviews on the damn game. And now I'm wanting to play it again. A game that I ostensibly think is not that great.

The aforementioned problems are bad enough that I really don't want to consider it a "favorite" of mine. I want to punch the main character in the face every time he opens his damn mouth, for example. I want to give the writer of the secondary protagonist a medal for actually succeeding in writing a female character that follows "strong character, female" instead of "strong female, character." So the two main protagonists include one so badly written that I hate his guts, and one so well written that she's probably one of my favorite fictional characters ever.

This is the tip of the iceberg of the wacky contrasting quality in this game. The main story has pathetic and incredible parts. The gameplay has pathetic and incredible parts. Perhaps the only things in the game of consistent quality is the graphics and music.

Dammit now I'm writing another review.

It's too bad it never got a proper sequel. It's nearly 10 years old now and only had a spiritual successor: Rogue Galaxy, a game that was laughably terrible. Well, at least in the hour or so I played of it; once they had the protagonist on a wooden ship, standing on the deck, in outer space, flying through a nebula (that's apparently really tiny), talking to the obvious love interest, I just laughed at how simultaneously cliche and nonsensical it was and turned it off.
both those games are great what are you talking about
[/fanboy]
Okay, in all seriousness these games are for the most part pretty bad when it comes to the writing and acting. I mean, the premise is great on both occasions, the gameplay is mostly good, but one of the consistent problems I've noticed with Level 5 games is that they either write well or write terribly. there is no inbetween. For example, Jupis in Rogue Galaxy. He did not even need to be a playable character. He would have been just fine as a one-off villain. But he has literally no reason to join the party. The only things he actually had any relevance to were one Mark miniboss, one of the MacGuffins in the penultimate chapter, and one part of the final boss. All of which could have easily been written out.
くコ:彡

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: January 15, 2012, 10:41:04 pm »

TBH I probably could've forgiven the story that made me cringe in Rogue Galaxy if the combat wasn't so slow. Random battles suck, first off, since you can't avoid wasting time with them if you don't feel like fighting. Next you're fighting like 3-4 different guys rather than 1-2 at a time, which makes things slower as you kill them all. Finally the AI companions... well I'm just not fond of AI companions in general. It just seemed wholly a step down from DC 1/2's dungeon crawls.

And like I said I only played the first hour or so. The main character guy, whom I (again) wanted to punch in the face, just left the planet when I turned it off. Maybe he grows out of his idiocy. I somewhat doubt it after Max just got more annoying and stupid as his game progressed, though. Once Desert Claw (or whatever the big shot bounty hunter's name was) said "that kid may have more potential than me!" I knew exactly where the story was heading and wanted no part of it.

I haven't played a Level 5 game except those three (dark cloud 1 and 2, and rogue galaxy), but so far the best protagonist in a game of theirs was the silent one. From Dark Cloud 1. He didn't have a chance to spout his boyish dreams of adventure and fantasy (retch), nor did other people go on about how awesome he was (double retch). He didn't have a personality to speak of, either, but that's way better than Max's or Jaster's. Dark Cloud 1 also had by far the worst gameplay decisions though (thirst and weapon breaking are like, totally good ideas. Right).

Obviously most my ire is directed against Dark Cloud 2's story/protagonist and what I think Jaster will end up like. If you tell me I'm wrong, that Jaster doesn't become a super bounty hunter dude, that the other characters don't universally praise him even when acting retarded (remember Max's tantrum when he finally met mommy?), that the universe doesn't bend around his desire for adventure and to give him absolutely zero negative consequences for his actions (or if there are negative consequences, a way to blame them on someone else), that he isn't the pinnacle of virtue and goodness, that his decisions and aren't always right, then I'll pick up Rogue Galaxy again. Frankly I just can't stomach another wish fulfillment story where a young kid picks up a weapon and goes monster slaying and saving the world without any hint of consequences or repercussions. Where all the bad stuff in the world is other people's faults and the kid's there to solve problems through beating thing's skulls in. I've had quite enough of that after Dark Cloud 2.... and I still want to play it again. Why'd they have to make the gameplay and non-protagonist characters so good?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: January 17, 2012, 02:43:48 am »

It does get better, though not much. Jaster pretty much remains The Good Guy through the whole game, complete with about two minutes of Heroic Angst. However he does mess up on occasion. For example,
Spoiler: Endgame spoilers~ (click to show/hide)
There is also the option to become a superawesome hunter, but it's basically a huge sidequest and completing both parts of it just gets you free stuff as you rank up, a Desert Claw costume when you become #1, and a costume for someone else when you collect every single bounty in the game, which there is virtually no point doing.

I realize that I don't sound that convincing. For some reason, I actually like the combat system (mainly because at higher levels one AoE attack kills everything instantly), but I'll readily admit it has its flaws.
くコ:彡

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: January 17, 2012, 12:28:05 pm »

Dreams. Seriously, what the f-

Saturday night/Sunday morning, I had a dream which all I can remember is seeing my favorite dog(the girl of the litter) all bloodied up, missing a leg, bandaged to hell and back with bloody gauze. I also saw that dog's father, a huge pit who was put down several months ago after a leg infection, and he was looking dead at me. I was so freaked out by this that I realized I was dreaming, but still had to fight for several seconds to wake up, and several more to make sure I was really awake.

And the dream the next night was even freakier, although I forget the details of it. I think both were some kind of death premonition, if I were really into that stuff :-\.

I think it was the pizza my stepdad made that Saturday, since my stomach also hurt those days. And I thought eating Chinese food before bed made for some wierd stuff in my dreams.

Spoiler: EDIT: Lesser WTF (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:00:23 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: January 17, 2012, 02:09:52 pm »

And: Please note: In less than 11 hours, the English Wikipedia will be blacked out globally to protest SOPA and PIPA. ( http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/English_Wikipedia_anti-SOPA_blackout )
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: January 17, 2012, 02:13:04 pm »

Spoiler: EDIT: Lesser WTF (click to show/hide)

Hold alt and hit 660 on the numberpad.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: January 17, 2012, 02:22:03 pm »

One of my stocks decided to go above what I bought it for today.  This is the first time since that whole big stock market crash.    :o

Now if only my other 6 stocks would do the same thing.  :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: January 17, 2012, 04:12:48 pm »

The Captchas going crazy...

This is the first sign of the end of the world!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: January 17, 2012, 04:35:30 pm »

I'm surprised that none of these teenagers are "in the know" about pop culture. Also, why do they mostly disapprove of bronies when they haven't even seen an episode?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzozSSGETJo
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 11040