Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14445560 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #4065 on: January 14, 2012, 01:48:14 am »

But really, when did we slip over into Bizarro-world?
2008. That's when Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, et al, entered the scene. How are those FEMA death camps working out so far, anyway?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:50:41 am by alway »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: January 14, 2012, 01:51:47 am »

2008. That's when Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, et al, entered the scene.

I think this is just when it entered mainstream media in force.  That culture has been prevalent for a long time, but wasn't seen as acceptable to flaunt in public until more recently.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: January 14, 2012, 02:25:15 am »

I'll be honest, The Newt describing Spanish as "the language of the ghetto" put me a lot closer than this.
To be fair, he did apologize, and explained that he didn't mean it the way people took it. Whether he was telling the truth is a different matter, but at least he admits he sounded like a racist idiot.

I don't think Romney's nomination is entirely set in stone, but he's got overwhelming odds for it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: January 14, 2012, 03:09:02 am »

To be fair, he did apologize, and explained that he didn't mean it the way people took it.
That's the usual politician saving throw BS: "No, I was taken out of context, really!"
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: January 14, 2012, 11:41:00 am »

To be fair, he did apologize, and explained that he didn't mean it the way people took it.
That's the usual politician saving throw BS: "No, I was taken out of context, really!"

Pretty much. I can't think of a context in which saying that would be acceptable. Even if he honestly didn't intend it in the manner in which it was taken (which I doubt), that doesn't absolve him of the responsibility for saying it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: January 14, 2012, 01:02:03 pm »

My mother thinks horoscopes or whatever the hell they're called (you know, those things in the papers saying "HURR IF YOU WERE BORN IN DIS STARSIGN DIS HAPPEN TO U!" are accurate. And I'm pretty sure she thinks they're from Satan, too. I don't know if I should be sad or confused about this.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: January 14, 2012, 01:06:10 pm »

Are we related?And why do I feel like this isn't the first time I've asked? My parents are probably the same way.

In other WTF, the weather. Yesterday, it was sunny, then raining, then raining while the sun was out, then windy, then snowing, then windy again for the rest of the day.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: January 14, 2012, 01:24:12 pm »

I had a friend who used to look at horoscopes and such just because she found them interesting, and thought that they tended to be strangely accurate.

I told her it was all cold reading really, and that if you mixed up everyone's signs then it still winds up being accurate.

Her response: So... I can be whatever star sign I like then?
Me: Sure.
Her: Cool, then I want to be a Virgo, I've always wanted to be a Virgo.

...or something like that. I don't remember exactly what she said.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: January 14, 2012, 01:30:15 pm »

You're also a district of a province in Mongolia.
I am astonished.

I sent that PM just now, then followed a sig link to this thread, then checked the last page.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: January 14, 2012, 01:49:46 pm »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: January 14, 2012, 02:17:42 pm »

It's like Doc Scratch's long-lost billionaire pineapple cousin.

Man. That was was the best sentence I never knew I always wanted to type.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: January 14, 2012, 02:21:43 pm »

I think this is just when it entered mainstream media in force.  That culture has been prevalent for a long time, but wasn't seen as acceptable to flaunt in public until more recently.
NOt really, before the courts made changes in financing law, the crazies pretty much stayed at lovcal levels. It was mega-PACs like the Tea Party, that actively courted the crazies, that really brought them into the natiional spotlight. (The 2008 elections also helped, with McCain seeking a young, charismatic, politically important running mate and happening to choose a crazy one.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4078 on: January 14, 2012, 02:44:58 pm »

NOt really, before the courts made changes in financing law, the crazies pretty much stayed at lovcal levels. It was mega-PACs like the Tea Party, that actively courted the crazies, that really brought them into the natiional spotlight. (The 2008 elections also helped, with McCain seeking a young, charismatic, politically important running mate and happening to choose a crazy one.)

But that's just America. I'd say the WHOLE world crossed the dystopia border at 2004... Or 4 A.D. :P

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: January 14, 2012, 04:38:23 pm »

Unusable stock photos.

I personally like some of the comments. Someone found a doppelganger of himself, and they were using a birthday cake as a pillow. That has got to be the strangest way to find your own doppelganger.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 11040