Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14451029 times)

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #3195 on: December 05, 2011, 02:04:52 am »

My parents told me fairy tales when I was a kid, and when they told me he wasn't real I never flipped out. Maybe it was because I already had a feeling it was all bullshit, so it wasn't really that big of a deal to me.
I guess this sums up my childhood really well.

Hell, I think most children are capable of taking "[insert fantasy character here] is not real" pretty well.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:08:25 am by justinlee999 »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: December 05, 2011, 02:11:55 am »

Exactly the point I've been trying to make.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: December 05, 2011, 02:52:22 am »

Apparently there is a girl interested in dating, and she's not trolling.
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: December 05, 2011, 03:08:09 am »

I kind of laugh when they do the "does not exist" too much.
I had a fight with a boy in kindergarden, back then, not now of course, im not that sick.
"Astronauts DO exist" he: "NO! Astronauts are aliens and aliens dont exist!" me: "Yes they do" he: "Where are they then?" me: "*derp herp* On the moon.*deeeeerp*"

I still laugh when i think of that conversation..
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: December 05, 2011, 03:21:57 am »

Even if you teach a child that babies come from sex and thunder is superheated air from an electrical arc, they are likely to prefer to believe in the stork and the bowling angels anyway, because those are more accessible, more wonderful concepts to a child.
Teaching 5 year old about sex is not going to end well and is a bit of WTF, but pregnancy is way more interesting, wonderful etc.

My parents introduced Santa Claus (and Zajączek - Easter version) in smart way - without lying "there is a Santa Claus lives at the North Pole" but rather telling story about and leaving gifts. This way discovery of truth was an interesting investigation, without damaging my parents credibility.

Both - running around kindergarten and screaming "Santa Claus is not real!" and outright lying to keep this game is lame.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: December 05, 2011, 06:46:12 am »

I was not educated in believing in Santa Clause or any of the equivalents in the first place. There was never any trauma over this.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: December 05, 2011, 07:29:21 am »

My parents made me belive in Santa claus too. They left clues when I was a kid and they never outright told me until I figured it out for myself. 0 trauma.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: December 05, 2011, 08:33:35 am »

The Bob Dylan Christmas album.

I love Dylan, but...but...but Hark the Herald Angels Sing...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: December 05, 2011, 08:47:20 am »

As for fiction, I don't know how much you remember of your childhood, but fiction and reality are inherently blurred to a child, because they do not yet truly grasp much of reality. To a seven year old, you can really get to a giant's castle with magic beans; and there are mermaids under the seas while witches live in candy houses in the woods. Even if you teach a child that babies come from sex and thunder is superheated air from an electrical arc, they are likely to prefer to believe in the stork and the bowling angels anyway, because those are more accessible, more wonderful concepts to a child.

....I explained the thermodynamics of lightning and thunder to my daughter when she was 3. I figured it was less scary than "there are supernatural beings in the sky hurling large objects around".

That said, I'll echo some of the other opinions in here that you just can't be totally, brutally honest with a child. There's entirely too much that goes on in the world on a daily basis that would traumatize them.

I don't hide science from them because in my mind, science isn't scary. PEOPLE are scary. Science can be studied, understood, predicted and ultimately controlled. People will snap for no fucking reason and gun down a room full of random people. Or abduct, rape and mutilate a child. Or knowingly send thousands to their deaths in the name of a few bucks. That's the kind of stuff I shield them from until they're older. Once they're older, I'll be happy to show them what a crapsack world we live in, because I don't want them to be like their mother, who hides from the news of the world because she just can't cope with it.

As far as Santa Claus....I don't see the harm. As they get older, they'll develop their own doubts, both from things their peers say and from their own probing of the internal logic and finding holes in it ("So...how does he cover an entire time zone in one hour, when the radar thing on the TV only shows him in North America?"). I suppose in a way, it actually encourages critical thinking if the parents allow the child to figure it out on their own. I think what you're gonna get out of it is determined to a large extent by the child themselves. If they're naturally disposed to critical thinking, they're gonna figure it out quick. If they adhere to a myth easily and determinedly and ignore evidence to the contrary....well, they can find solace in the Church.

Where I have a quandary is a different but related area. I'm Taoist, my wife is Unitarian. Our daughter receives a small amount of religious education at her mother's Unitarian church (which is essentially no religious education at all). But, we recently had to switch her daycare to one which is run by a Methodist church and includes "chapel" and "choir" once a week and has a kind of constant low-level background noise of religion in it. So now my daughter is taking to religion like a fish to water, and it makes me *extremely* uncomfortable. The day is going to come when she discovers that Daddy doesn't believe in Dead-Guy-On-A-Stick-In-The-Sky and hopefully isn't going to be traumatized thinking that I'm going to burn in Hell. I don't want to be anti-religious, and I want her to be free to choose whatever denomination/faith she wants. But she just turned 5. At this age, it's not free choice, it's indoctrination. It's only for another 9 months or so and then she'll be in public school. But it still bothers me. And our son will be there for at least another 3 years.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3204 on: December 05, 2011, 11:53:44 am »

Quote from: RedKing
Where I have a quandary is a different but related area. I'm Taoist, my wife is Unitarian. Our daughter receives a small amount of religious education at her mother's Unitarian church (which is essentially no religious education at all). But, we recently had to switch her daycare to one which is run by a Methodist church and includes "chapel" and "choir" once a week and has a kind of constant low-level background noise of religion in it. So now my daughter is taking to religion like a fish to water, and it makes me *extremely* uncomfortable. The day is going to come when she discovers that Daddy doesn't believe in Dead-Guy-On-A-Stick-In-The-Sky and hopefully isn't going to be traumatized thinking that I'm going to burn in Hell. I don't want to be anti-religious, and I want her to be free to choose whatever denomination/faith she wants. But she just turned 5. At this age, it's not free choice, it's indoctrination. It's only for another 9 months or so and then she'll be in public school. But it still bothers me. And our son will be there for at least another 3 years. 

Holy crap a Taoist, YOU ARE AWSHUMS LOL.
(Jks aside, I think we can all agree that raising a child who asks questions about the world around them, then proceeds to find the answers of such questions is much better then:
A. Fairy tales;
B. Dogmatic approaches;
C. Traumatic approaches.)

Ignorance = REALLY, REALLY BAD IDEA TO TEACH TO A CHILD.
Traumatic experiences well, either build character, create emotionless drones or just mentally wreck a child.
Bad bad bad. Kansas, y u so mad at teacher?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: December 05, 2011, 12:14:36 pm »

Quote from: RedKing
Where I have a quandary is a different but related area. I'm Taoist, my wife is Unitarian. Our daughter receives a small amount of religious education at her mother's Unitarian church (which is essentially no religious education at all). But, we recently had to switch her daycare to one which is run by a Methodist church and includes "chapel" and "choir" once a week and has a kind of constant low-level background noise of religion in it. So now my daughter is taking to religion like a fish to water, and it makes me *extremely* uncomfortable. The day is going to come when she discovers that Daddy doesn't believe in Dead-Guy-On-A-Stick-In-The-Sky and hopefully isn't going to be traumatized thinking that I'm going to burn in Hell. I don't want to be anti-religious, and I want her to be free to choose whatever denomination/faith she wants. But she just turned 5. At this age, it's not free choice, it's indoctrination. It's only for another 9 months or so and then she'll be in public school. But it still bothers me. And our son will be there for at least another 3 years. 

Holy crap a Taoist, YOU ARE AWSHUMS LOL.
(Jks aside, I think we can all agree that raising a child who asks questions about the world around them, then proceeds to find the answers of such questions is much better then:
A. Fairy tales;
B. Dogmatic approaches;
C. Traumatic approaches.)

Ignorance = REALLY, REALLY BAD IDEA TO TEACH TO A CHILD.
Traumatic experiences well, either build character, create emotionless drones or just mentally wreck a child.
Bad bad bad. Kansas, y u so mad at teacher?
I PICK C! Remember, the answer is always C.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3206 on: December 05, 2011, 12:25:13 pm »

8) C 8) wut u did thar.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 11040