Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14455609 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #3150 on: December 04, 2011, 05:28:27 am »

Apparently all the kids these days are up in arms about "hipsters."  Which, as far as I can understand, is the new slang for the kids who think they're cool but aren't.  Six years ago, we called them "preps."  I've been wondering since then as to why anyone should care about who thinks they're cool or not cool.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: December 04, 2011, 05:46:38 am »

My little brother overheard me listening to Nirvana, he said "I didn't know you liked country."

I am between states of confusion and sadness right now.

Edit: He now say's Kurt Cobain sounds like he has down syndrome...

All right, that's it. Tell the little bastard he can't listen to anything but grunge for the whole next year until he learns to appreciate it!
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3152 on: December 04, 2011, 10:08:10 am »

Apparently all the kids these days are up in arms about "hipsters."  Which, as far as I can understand, is the new slang for the kids who think they're cool but aren't.  Six years ago, we called them "preps."  I've been wondering since then as to why anyone should care about who thinks they're cool or not cool.

Play Doom and Daggerfall, that'll make you a hipster in no time, especially if you're not playing Modern Skyfield Seven. At least, that's what I was told.  ::)

Anyways, I saw middle-schoolers or younger smoking in public last night. It was right in front of a music store and nobody gave a flip. Sad and WTF to me, though it may be more commonplace elsewhere, I dunno.

I can name a few hundred more wtf's...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3153 on: December 04, 2011, 10:45:28 am »

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: December 04, 2011, 01:51:06 pm »

Play Doom and Daggerfall, that'll make you a hipster in no time, especially if you're not playing Modern Skyfield Seven. At least, that's what I was told.  ::)

I do sometimes occasion to study the common tongue, and the term “hipster” has been a part of my research from time to time. Hereafter is an excerpt from paper I had published during my tenure at the Academy of the Commons—not to be confused with the Academy for the Commons—the subject of the former being the students of the latter.

This will lead us to the conclusion that many terms have been taken and stretched into new purposes by the Commons, as is frequent amongst their kind (Gurthrup, 1714). These purposes yield insight into the minds of the Commons, as these transitions are never random as has been proposed by some more notable members of the Commonology community (Tellacus et al., 1749). Some examples of words perverted are OCD, gay, hipster...

[...]

The word hipster was initially a label for such persons as made a show of resisting the ideals, values, and sensibilities of the Common—that is to say, anyone who sought prestige by being in opposition to the Common culture, but did so in such a crude manner as to make plain that their goal was social acceptance and no real good taste (Shelley, 1650). These are Commons who feign otherwise.

As this word was in the possession of the Common, it was not long before this saw broader use, and all who were not of their culture was branded a hipster. Adriana Shelley, in her interviews and studies of Common persons, discovered this to come from the idea that their culture is the only sensible thing to accept, and that no one could possibly find joy in anything that was not accepted in large by the Common folk, so any indication of enjoying something else, something not Common, must be delusion or a deception (1650). To the Common, all are Common, and some feign otherwise.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: December 04, 2011, 02:20:56 pm »

Anyways, I saw middle-schoolers or younger smoking in public last night. It was right in front of a music store and nobody gave a flip. Sad and WTF to me, though it may be more commonplace elsewhere, I dunno.

I once saw someone selling cigarettes to 7th graders in front of the local grocery store.

WTF, man.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3156 on: December 04, 2011, 03:17:43 pm »

I once saw someone selling cigarettes to 7th graders in front of the local grocery store.

WTF, man.

Again... Seen much much worse ._.

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: December 04, 2011, 03:35:00 pm »

Long time ago, but I saw two elementary school students making out on the side of a liquor store on my ride home on the bus.
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: December 04, 2011, 03:43:39 pm »

Play Doom

Doom gets you labeled a hipster now?... really?...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: December 04, 2011, 04:31:10 pm »

You're not a hipster if you like it tho, only a hipster if you do it because it's obscure, or something, I've been labeled as hipster (and by some definitions I am) but I still deny it, guess I'm being hipster about being hipster 8)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: December 04, 2011, 04:35:39 pm »

I was hipster before it was cool to be hipster.
*Hugs*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: December 04, 2011, 05:19:25 pm »

I'm a hipster and proud of it.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3162 on: December 04, 2011, 05:27:11 pm »

Hipster, I am disappoint.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: December 04, 2011, 06:18:53 pm »

I'm so hipster, I'm normal
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: December 04, 2011, 06:22:00 pm »

I disliked hipsters before it was uncool, but now hating hipsters is too mainstream so I got a fedora.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 11040