Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14464120 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #2910 on: November 27, 2011, 01:02:15 pm »

Although, it would be pretty cool if all our cops were Batman.
There'd be fewer people dead from brutality, anyway.

While things aren't quite so bad as Dave depicts, things aren't great with the police. They can break almost any law they want, so long as they tell people they're just doing their jobs, and they will barely get a limp slap on the wrist. A police officer around here beat a kindly old (if somewhat mentally handicapped) homeless man (as described by everyone that testified) to death in a 7-11 because he didn't know he (Otto Zem) had a tendency to carry the Snickers bars he bought every Sunday in a clenched fist until he got to the counter (like he had been doing for years). In court, the officer said that it looked like he was planning to use it as a club. Said officer proceeded to beat Otto to death with a nightstick, long after he stopped moving. (There is security footage.) Said officer lost all of his vacation hours and last I heard, he has to retire from the force within 5 years. In court, police officers defend their coworkers. In public, other people defend them almost no matter what they do. It's a problem.

Resisting arrest should not get you arrested. If that were your only crime, then they shouldn't have arrested you. They could have prevented a crime from happening.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: November 27, 2011, 01:03:34 pm »

Ehh, it's hard to tell in this case so I won't pass judgement.  It really depends on who you give the benefit of the doubt.  That isn't to say that this kind of thing doesn't happen...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: November 27, 2011, 01:08:36 pm »

Sweet bajeebus. He shot a deaf woodcarver to death because he wouldn't respond to his shouts to put the knife down?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: November 27, 2011, 01:19:42 pm »

because he didn't know he (Otto Zem) had a tendency to carry the Snickers bars he bought every Sunday in a clenched fist until he got to the counter (like he had been doing for years). In court, the officer said that it looked like he was planning to use it as a club.
My mind went "what".

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: November 27, 2011, 01:50:19 pm »

because he didn't know he (Otto Zem) had a tendency to carry the Snickers bars he bought every Sunday in a clenched fist until he got to the counter (like he had been doing for years). In court, the officer said that it looked like he was planning to use it as a club.
My mind went "what".
Snickers bars are deadly weapons, bro~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: November 27, 2011, 02:30:27 pm »

Although, it would be pretty cool if all our cops were Batman.
There'd be fewer people dead from brutality, anyway.

Fewer deaths, many many many times the amount of people suffering from permanent injuries. Oh, and while less perps would die, the deaths from collateral damage would go into the thousands :P
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: November 27, 2011, 02:34:29 pm »

I'm automatically suspicious anytime I hear the words "Resisting Arrest", because as far as I can tell, they can just say that anytime they get near someone they don't like and produce cause for whatever they want out of nothing.  I really don't understand the level of compliance they require from people they're manhandling.  I don't know how many instances I've seen of multiple officers holding down one person, who is completely incapable of doing anything threatening but still wriggles to try to breath properly or something, and they keep beating or tazering just because they aren't being completely still.

He can still be charged with the attempt. It's up to the police, they could sentence him for a long time. Probably will, because he caused an officer to be humiliated.
Judges and juries aren't cops, they can only charge you as a suspect in crimes, not sentence you for them.

Welcome to America. The land of no rights and the police don't give a f**k about the rules. You piss them off, and they'll get revenge, even if they have to gank you in an alleyway.
.....Dude, you don't even live here. There's a lot of power abuse from the police, especially in certain corrupt districts, but the level you are describing doesn't really happen. And there are plenty of rights here, just not enough of them.

I wouldn't say that kind of thing is common, but it does happen.  If you're not 100% polite in any encounter with police, even just when getting pulled over for slight speeding, they'll usually go out of their way to make the encounter unpleasant for you.  A couple months ago, I got pulled over for driving 10 over the speed limit.  The officer asked why I was speeding and I told them I was running late for work, and I was in danger of losing my job.  Coincidentally, that was the longest I've ever had to wait to get a ticket and permission to leave.  I had to go back home and call in sick.  A good friend of mine claims that, IIRC, he had a disagreement with his landlady whose son was a cop, and shortly afterwards two cops broke into his apartment and stole a bunch of stuff.

They really don't put much emphasis on that whole "serve and protect" bit over here.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: November 27, 2011, 04:33:09 pm »

The only friendly cops I have ever met are the half-dozen patrolling this county, and that's probably because half of them are my neighbors.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2918 on: November 27, 2011, 04:55:13 pm »

I like British policemen, well loosely anyways. They're still prejudiced and corrupt, occasionally rascist and target anyone wearing jogging bottoms, but at least they don't shoot people or beat anyone to death.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: November 27, 2011, 04:55:55 pm »

I find it impossible to not like the police, but that may have come of the fact that I'd be dead, or worse, if not for them.
*Hugs*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: November 27, 2011, 04:57:25 pm »

I find it impossible to not like the police, but that may have come of the fact that I'd be dead, or worse, if not for them.

It REALLY depends on where you live.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2921 on: November 27, 2011, 04:57:59 pm »

Really? Police have failed to protect me in the 5 times someone has tried to burgle my house, or the time someone tried to mug me. They have however succeeded in accusing me of breaking into my own house once. That was fun.

And who you are.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: November 27, 2011, 05:00:42 pm »

Yep and who you are.

Though did that break into your own home actually happen? I know it isn't an urban myth (As it is apperantly true) but it seems too much of a coincidence that this would be the THIRD Time I've heard of that happening.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: November 27, 2011, 05:03:40 pm »

"Hm, I've seen this before when I was a rookie. He broke into the house and put up pictures of himself and his family, he even put all of his belongings everywhere, let's bring him to jail."
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: November 27, 2011, 05:07:08 pm »

Really? Police have failed to protect me in the 5 times someone has tried to burgle my house, or the time someone tried to mug me. They have however succeeded in accusing me of breaking into my own house once. That was fun.

And who you are.
The US supreme court actually ruled that the police have no obligation to protect or serve the public.  Their only job is to uphold the law.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 11040