Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14466346 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #2880 on: November 26, 2011, 08:12:58 pm »

How do you all know you have not been living an illusion wrought by jedi-minds? They would have the power to do so. You would never know.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2881 on: November 26, 2011, 08:14:18 pm »

On the other hand, as a blacksmith you aren't teaching your apprentice how best to betray and kill you when they're older.
We're talking about people who are willing to sacrifice pretty much everything for hand lightning and not much else. Foresight doesn't really come into the equation.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: November 26, 2011, 08:14:43 pm »

Come to think of it, training apprentices was probably the only way for them to survive.  As a sith being hunted down by the jedi, I imagine they felt a desperate need to have good people to fight for them, which meant training them.  So they were constantly balancing the threat of betrayal by the apprentices against the threat of lacking forces against the jedi, and they had no choice but to be incredibly elaborate schemers, doomed to one day be crushed by the weight of their own webs.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: November 26, 2011, 08:15:52 pm »

My WTF moment today? How the Hell does a VK28 bounce a shell from a T29?
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: November 26, 2011, 08:16:10 pm »

On the other hand, as a blacksmith you aren't teaching your apprentice how best to betray and kill you when they're older.
We're talking about people who are willing to sacrifice pretty much everything for hand lightning and not much else. Foresight doesn't really come into the equation.

Goodness the Dark Side isn't worth it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: November 26, 2011, 08:27:58 pm »

Being a sith lord isn't worth it. The dark side itself totally is.

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: November 26, 2011, 11:45:50 pm »

We're talking about people who are willing to sacrifice pretty much everything for hand lightning and not much else.

I am sigging this.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: November 27, 2011, 01:59:12 am »

But but... shooting lightning! From your fingertips!

What's the light side got in return? Discipline? Not somehow becoming a mutilated abomination through contrived and silly means? That's no fun!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: November 27, 2011, 03:03:29 am »

What's the light side got in return? Discipline? Not somehow becoming a mutilated abomination through contrived and silly means? That's no fun!
Don't forget their vows of chastity!

If you do want to shoot lightning from your fingers, it's much easier to simply build some sort of tesla coil glove device; though you may or may not end up frying yourself. Which, let's be honest here, makes it even more fun! Screw the Force, use SCIENCE! :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:11:56 am by alway »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: November 27, 2011, 04:32:02 am »

vows of chastity

Absolutely, completely, 100% FANON. Jedi are discouraged from forming long term relationships. There has never been a statement in anything official stating a vow of chastity, and dozens that stated that short-term casual relationships were encouraged. Sorry, it's a stupid thing to get worked up about in a farcial discussion, but people mistaking Fanon for Canon (in any media) fills me with a terrible rage.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: November 27, 2011, 04:36:54 am »

Fine. The Jedi kidnap gifted children and indoctrinate them into their cult. The Jedi brainwash politicians into doing their bidding. The Master Jedi speak almost entirely in uncertain terms to manipulate people.

The Sith may not have a lot going for them morally, but they're pretty up front about their intentions and desires compared to the Jedi.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: November 27, 2011, 04:46:59 am »

Fine. The Jedi kidnap gifted children and indoctrinate them into their cult. The Jedi brainwash politicians into doing their bidding. The Master Jedi speak almost entirely in uncertain terms to manipulate people.

Again, pure Fanon. Even the most anti-jedi EU books don't state this, with a little suggestion in a few of the late Clone Wars or late Sith Wars books that they may be a little more persuasive than is strictly necessary when finding recruits. As for brainwashing, the only reason the Sith were not exterminated 1000 years before Palpatine was because the Jedi lost an election and were "persuaded" to disarm.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: November 27, 2011, 06:49:54 am »

Offtopic tangent engage!

3 things, since I've recently been getting into debates about similar things a lot lately.

1) My understanding is Mr Lucas doesn't consider anything outside of the 6 films canon (well maybe the christmas special too). I only mention this to point out that the lines between "canon" and "fanon" can be blurry. Is an officially published Star Wars book or video game more "canon" than a fanfiction when neither had much (if any) input from the original creator? Different people might have different opinions on that.

2) IMO, it really doesn't matter. It's all make-believe anyway. What's important is the relationship between the viewer/reader/player and the work. I think a fan can accept or deny any aspect of canon or fanon they want. The world they see in their head is what's giving them an emotional response, after all; even when watching the same screen, people can see different things. That's fine and even great.

3) As such, any forcing of views is rage worthy, not just forcing fanon. If someone wants to forget a particular episode, or comic book arc, or movie, or whatever even happened in the first place, it's not nice when others try and force them to remember it. Maybe I don't want to think Indiana Jones survived a nuclear explosion in a refrigerator (for example), so don't tell me he did :D
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: November 27, 2011, 06:55:35 am »

Maybe I don't want to think Indiana Jones survived a nuclear explosion in a refrigerator (for example), so don't tell me he did :D

Maybe he didn't?  Maybe he became Radioactive Zombie Jones?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: November 27, 2011, 06:59:05 am »

That's a theory I could get behind.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 11037