Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471429 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #2775 on: November 23, 2011, 04:22:50 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/video-octopus-crawls-water-walks-dry-land-150510810.html

I'm not sure how to caption a walking octopus.

1.) Clearly a scout for Cthulhu....

2.) If he stays on land long enough he'll devolve into a member of the U.S. Congress.

3.) They can predict the world cup results and walk? I for one welcome our new octopi overlords.

4.) Pauly Shore is looking great actually....

5.) Who cares, what's an octopus gonna do about.... O shit....
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:25:56 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: November 23, 2011, 04:34:12 pm »

"So....you like calamari, huh? How do you like......THIS!??"

Cephalopods are so damn neat. It's a real shame they only live 5 years or so. Also, probably the only reason we achieved dominance as a species. Cephalodpods with full sentience would probably kick our asses, or at the very least force us to live far from the water, which would severely curtail human populations.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: November 23, 2011, 04:38:51 pm »

Cephalopods are so damn neat. It's a real shame they only live 5 years or so. Also, probably the only reason we achieved dominance as a species. Cephalodpods with full sentience would probably kick our asses, or at the very least force us to live far from the water, which would severely curtail human populations.

Say hello...to EIGHT of my LITTLE FRIENDS!
*moar dakka*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: November 23, 2011, 04:40:54 pm »

Alternate caption:
"Must....find.....Japanese schoolgirls....."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: November 23, 2011, 04:43:47 pm »

A friend of mine told me a story(which may or may not be true) of a fisherman he knew that used to fish for octopuses.  Apparently he had caught it and stabbed it with a knife to kill it, but the octopus then pulled the knife out with its tentacles and started waving it around at the fisherman.   :P

Personally I think the only reason cephalodpods aren't higher up on the food chain is because they don't tend to have very long lifespans and they don't pass down knowledge to their offspring.  They pretty much just abandon them at birth.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: November 23, 2011, 04:44:32 pm »

Alternate caption:
"Must....find.....Japanese schoolgirls....."

Aw, cmon, man. I don't like eating octopodes, but I can't kill anything and not eat it. Don't put dilemmas into this!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: November 23, 2011, 04:44:56 pm »

This is also why I find practices like Odori-don or the videos of people eating live octopi whole to be really disturbing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: November 23, 2011, 06:35:17 pm »

A friend of mine told me a story(which may or may not be true) of a fisherman he knew that used to fish for octopuses.  Apparently he had caught it and stabbed it with a knife to kill it, but the octopus then pulled the knife out with its tentacles and started waving it around at the fisherman.   :P

Personally I think the only reason cephalodpods aren't higher up on the food chain is because they don't tend to have very long lifespans and they don't pass down knowledge to their offspring.  They pretty much just abandon them at birth.
Cephalopods don't have conscious control over their tentacles (the muscle system is too complex for direct control and has to rely on reflexes to avoid overloading the poor cephalopod's brain). It could have been waving that knife around but there's no way in hell it could have made a directed attack with it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: November 23, 2011, 06:36:24 pm »

In WTF news: I'm getting ready for work. Today is a day that I will go in in plainclothes, not even attempt to sell a damned thing, generally screw around unless someone needs me to carry something, and still be hailed as a hero.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: November 23, 2011, 06:37:40 pm »

In WTF news: I'm getting ready for work. Today is a day that I will go in in plainclothes, not even attempt to sell a damned thing, generally screw around unless someone needs me to carry something, and still be hailed as a hero.
Wasn't theere a sig quote about your charisma being that awesome?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: November 23, 2011, 11:48:35 pm »

Wasn't theere a sig quote about your charisma being that awesome?
Well, that was actually because my company sent Subway this evening. Also, I was extremely incorrect about how hard I was going to work. I wound up bundling and bulk stacking about 200 printers with ink and paper, making signs, carrying monitors across the store, etc, etc. Manager McHardass was so impressed by how hard I was working that she bought me a pop. Also, I was the only vendor in the store. The Home Office manager also stated that he wasn't selling anything but my product. ^_^;;

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: November 23, 2011, 11:51:03 pm »

It's a real shame they only live 5 years or so.

And thats at the extreme end of the scale, expected lifespan is only 2-4 for most of them.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: November 24, 2011, 12:51:47 am »

Christmas decorations on the royal palace grounds~

Also, octopodes are fucking awesome~

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: November 24, 2011, 01:15:56 am »

Er, is bay12games.com showing up as some sort of gibberish in chinese for anyone else here? O_O
Derp, nvm. It seems google chrome doesn't like the main page with 16 bit unicode as the charset. :P
This is what I saw upon opening it with 16 bit unicode set as the charset:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:20:18 am by alway »
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 11037