Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14479001 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #2580 on: November 14, 2011, 05:04:58 pm »

WTF.
How is this even supposed to work?

My guess is the same way that some banks insured risky securities so that if it all went to Hell, the insurance companies would be left footing the bill. Just as you can wager money on virtually anything with an uncertain outcome, you can find somebody to insure virtually anything if you pay enough money.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: November 15, 2011, 02:28:40 pm »

Either Google is trolling us, or the Chinese are.

All of this weirdness is out in Xinjiang, which the PRC uses much like we use Nevada -- it's big, it's barren, and it's mostly empty and under government control. Some of this could be their version of an Area 51. My gut reaction is that at least some of it (like the cyan-blue fake airfield) is being used to test and calibrate some kind of high-altitude or orbital system, like a spy satellite or UAV (and hopefully not an orbital death ray).

The radial one though....no freakin clue. I saw one good guess that it was for assessing the effect radius of some kind of weapon, but that still doesn't answer why there are three aircraft parked near the epicenter, nor how they got there. Could be for testing an EMP weapon? The PLA (especially the air and naval arms) have been strongly interested in electronic warfare for some time, knowing that the US's technology advantage is its chief force multiplier. Take out all that fancy avionics, GPS and communications gear and we'd be in for a rough time.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: November 15, 2011, 02:40:50 pm »

I go to school by bus everyday and so does the retarded afro-indian bus driver. Said bus driver decided to be very childish / annoying / retarded so when I left the bus I asked for his name so I'd know about whom I am about to complain. Bus driver gets mad and almost throws me out of the bus.

After posting stuff about this on Facebook and talking with my friends on said social media I go downstairs. Later that evening my sister calls and wants to speak to mom. But before that she wants to know everything about the 'bus driver scandal'. This is the first time I realized that everything you post on Facebook is not only visible to all your friends but they also get alerted about it. I don't really mind, but it sure feels strange.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: November 15, 2011, 02:54:37 pm »

The only things that have made me go "What the fuck?" today are Act 6 of Homestuck and 4chan still being down thanks to a DDoS that has been going on since this past Sunday thanks to some of moot's "biggest fans". Oh well, I need sleep more than rage comics anyways.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: November 15, 2011, 02:56:54 pm »

I just realized I will have to wear something like
Spoiler: this (click to show/hide)
in one and a half months :S

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: November 15, 2011, 05:34:31 pm »

Either Google is trolling us, or the Chinese are.

All of this weirdness is out in Xinjiang, which the PRC uses much like we use Nevada -- it's big, it's barren, and it's mostly empty and under government control. Some of this could be their version of an Area 51. My gut reaction is that at least some of it (like the cyan-blue fake airfield) is being used to test and calibrate some kind of high-altitude or orbital system, like a spy satellite or UAV (and hopefully not an orbital death ray).

The radial one though....no freakin clue. I saw one good guess that it was for assessing the effect radius of some kind of weapon, but that still doesn't answer why there are three aircraft parked near the epicenter, nor how they got there. Could be for testing an EMP weapon? The PLA (especially the air and naval arms) have been strongly interested in electronic warfare for some time, knowing that the US's technology advantage is its chief force multiplier. Take out all that fancy avionics, GPS and communications gear and we'd be in for a rough time.
Weapon tests? Solar plants?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: November 15, 2011, 06:39:29 pm »

I just realized I will have to wear something like
Spoiler: this (click to show/hide)
in one and a half months :S
Eh, whenever I have to wear something fancy I just pretend I'm James Bond so I actually feel inclined to put it on.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: November 15, 2011, 08:11:44 pm »

I don't know what it is about me, but I actually feel very comfortable in formal attire. It's not even specially-tailored stuff or anything. I could wear the dress clothing like normal.

I guess my WTF is realizing that I really am one of the very few who is actually comfortable in formal wear.
Nothing important here, move along.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: November 15, 2011, 09:14:17 pm »

I've become mostly immune to formal clothing after most of four years of high school in khakis and a shirt and tie. I certainly prefer a good pair of sweats, however.

My WTF is for my physics lab. For the percent error, I got .2%, 0%, and .2%

As a result, I took the approach of trying to explain the perfection of it as simply having the errors cancel out or something.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: November 15, 2011, 09:17:29 pm »

I actually enjoy wearing formal clothes (Besides those damned dress shoes...), because I always think of how stylish I would look if a zombie apocalypse suddenly happened.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: November 15, 2011, 09:20:23 pm »

Dress pants are pretty much the only type of pants I can stand. I run around in shorts year round, even in well below freezing weather.

Don't really like dress shirts, ties, or shoes, though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: November 15, 2011, 09:33:38 pm »

Oh hey it's an anti-crime! Breaking and redecorating really does exist XD
It's FEF, not FEOF

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: November 15, 2011, 09:34:45 pm »

An HR person for a corporation out of ... the clear blue sky really, has decided to help me look for another job. He's not a headhunter and gets paid nothing for this. I'm a cynical person and I'm utterly unable to figure out "what he gets out of this." None of this makes a damn bit of sense to me. I don't see the world as something where people do good things and certainly not for free. I keep waiting for this guy to screw me over, because maybe I'm paranoid? I dunno, I maintain it was justified in many situations in the past. None of this makes a lick of sense.

Though I'm tenacious as hell, I really try not to brag in real life and aim to underpromise/overdeliver and have people underestimate me. I do well partially because no one sees me coming/can't prepare to counter me.... This, it seems, does not bode well for resume' writing.

He, of course, can't promise me anything, and I wouldn't expect that. However, he's talking about lawyers I've heard about but never met, larger players who have their own nice regional firms. He's saying he'll have them look over my resume'. He's implying I might be able to work for them....

He just saw me in court arguing a case of some kid who I really fucking thought didn't do it.... I just.... What?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: November 15, 2011, 09:37:32 pm »

Also WTF:

Why did he want a seagull that badly?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 11037