Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14479748 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #2565 on: November 13, 2011, 09:19:58 pm »

Yeah, a bullet by itself can be harmless, and removing it can actually damage vital organs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: November 13, 2011, 09:20:40 pm »

That is because my degree is in medicine. It is my last name that is Sarcasm.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: November 13, 2011, 09:23:49 pm »

I'M A SARCASTIC MAN, NOT A DOCTOR DAMNIT!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: November 13, 2011, 09:24:22 pm »

Snarkasm, it can solve anything!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: November 13, 2011, 09:30:41 pm »

They take the bullets out if they can but usually they're safer left inside the body. When my dad was shot they took out one fragment and left the rest in until a little while ago where I think they took out the shard near his jugular.

Yeah my dad got shot in face and survived. If that's not WTF worthy I don't know what is. Combine that with the like 11 car wrecks he's been in and having three children he's either really lucky or really unlucky.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: November 13, 2011, 09:35:57 pm »

I recall that a certain veteran was shot in the abdomen during Vietnam, and a few years ago he suddenly coughed up said bullet. No idea if it's true or not.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: November 14, 2011, 03:38:30 am »

My grandfather had german grenade shrapnel lodged in the back of his neck for 50 years.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: November 14, 2011, 07:34:44 am »

Ditto. My paternal grandfather had a chunk of German mortar round in his skull. It may well have saved his life, since it occurred just days before the Battle of the Bulge. He was busy recuperating at a rear-area hospital while the rest of his armored division were in the thick of it.

Oh, and for a WTF injury -- my father-in-law is a big man. Probably 300lbs+. Several years ago, he was on a ladder working on the roof of their lakehouse when the ladder slipped. He wound up falling more or less straight down and landing on his ass. At first, he was completely unable to move his legs. He managed to pull himself inside, wake his wife, and they drove him to the hospital. By the time he got there, he had gotten the feeling and movement back in his legs, and he just had really bad back pains. They did some X-rays and didn't see anything. No broken bones, no internal tissue damage, etc. So they gave him some painkillers for his back and sent him home.

By the time they got home, there was a message on the answering machine from the hospital telling him to come back immediately. Turns out somebody had the idea to *count* his vertebrae. There was one missing:o

Best guess is that the way he landed (basically in a sitting position) put all the force of impact in a straight line through his spinal column, and one of the vertebrae basically disintegrated. That pain he was having was because two of the discs were just smushed together and all the nerves there were going "AAAAAHHHH WTF theres supposed to be a bone here". They never found the vertebrae. Not even chunks of it. It was so finely pulverized that it just dissolved into the surrounding tissue. If he had been leaning forward or backwards just a few degrees either way when he hit, his spinal cord could have been pinched or even severed. As it was, it was so straight when he hit that the vertebrae just restacked around it.

They had to do massive surgery and put a substantial amount of metal in his back. As I understand it, his case is in several advanced medical textbooks now.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: November 14, 2011, 09:41:20 am »

What does it even mean to lose one of your spinal pieces/peices?

Also congradulations RedKing your Grandfather had an type of injury that I've only heard of horses having.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: November 14, 2011, 09:53:57 am »

Well, he's an inch shorter for one thing. And he's going to have serious chronic back pain for the remainder of his life.

The spinal column is kind of the 'sheath' that protects your spinal cord...think of a string of beads. The vertebrae are the beads, the string is your spinal cord. Normally, they're the same length so that the spinal cord is fully encased and protected. Take one bead out, and you suddenly have a big problem. As I understand it, they basically had to do an operation to fold his spinal cord into a loop of sorts and then stuff the loop up inside the vertebrae so that it wouldn't get pinched. Considering that your spinal cord is kind of important for things like, y'know....ever moving or feeling your limbs again...that was kind of a big deal. And now he has a system of metal rods and pins jacking up his upper spine to help distribute some of the weight off the lower spine, and a sort of plastic ball bearing thing in between the two discs. It was a whole series of major operations.

Also...wha? Lots of people have chunks of shrapnel/mortars in their skull (well maybe not lots, but certainly not that uncommon among war vets)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: November 14, 2011, 09:56:48 am »

No I mean Dusting bones by having two bones pushed against eachother.

It is why Horses are often put down if they get injured during a race. It isn't that "Broken" bones will never heal. It is that Horses tend to get injured in a very specific and debilitating way.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: November 14, 2011, 10:02:36 am »

No I mean Dusting bones by having two bones pushed against eachother.

It is why Horses are often put down if they get injured during a race. It isn't that "Broken" bones will never heal. It is that Horses tend to get injured in a very specific and debilitating way.

Oh, gotcha. That's my father-in-law who has that.

I just can't fathom how much impact force it takes to pulverize a bone inside your body. And to do so without actually damaging the spinal cord inside of it. It was one of those "one in a million" things. If he hadn't weighed so much, it would have been just a nasty fall. If he had landed at a slightly different angle, he'd have been a paraplegic.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: November 14, 2011, 04:35:24 pm »

One in a million chances occur constantly.

Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: November 14, 2011, 04:46:20 pm »

WTF.
How is this even supposed to work?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: November 14, 2011, 05:03:21 pm »

WTF.
How is this even supposed to work?

Though I am probably wrong

From the few words I read it is because the company is saying that being "Sued" should be considered a "Damage" and thus the insurance company should compensate them.

In a similar way to how Doctor's insurance for Malpractice suits functions.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 11037