Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14456610 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #1935 on: October 04, 2011, 10:36:45 am »

My school administration thinks that swag is a bad word.
What kind of weird ass school do you go to where you catch a punishment for "bad words", anyway? o.O
That's the first time I've ever heard of anything like that.

I'm guessing that is my WTF moment for the day. I mean, seriously, what the hell is wrong with your school?

Schools (k-12) in the Bible Belt tend to have rules against cursing. Just saying a curse can get a write-up though nice teachers will give a warning, cursing at someone is an automatic write-up and possibly detention, cursing at a teacher can get a suspension.
I don't know about other regions, however.
Nothing important here, move along.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: October 04, 2011, 10:39:00 am »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: October 04, 2011, 11:08:00 am »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 08:53:45 pm by MC Dirty »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: October 04, 2011, 11:10:32 am »

My school administration thinks that swag is a bad word.

Reminds me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_%22niggardly%22

Yeah, but that at least sounds like a real bad word. What word does "swag" sound like?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: October 04, 2011, 11:13:18 am »

To me it inspires something related to the genitalia, for some reason.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: October 04, 2011, 11:18:22 am »

How...
What...
Why...
The Bible Belt is in the ultra-conservative Deep South of the US. We still have the blue laws (religion-based laws that restrict things like, say, cursing) in effect, although thankfully nobody's stupid enough to disobey those rules enough to get arrested.
There are rules against cursing on public transportation and in certain government buildings, and a person theoretically could get fined for "causing a disturbance," but the absolute worst I've ever heard of is people being forcibly removed from the bus/building/etc. for their cursing, since the police won't arrest anyone for it, since a blue law violator would win in court very easily.
Even so, the blue laws do still allow businesses and government operations to make rules against the use of curses, so schools disallow cursing.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:20:53 am by TheBronzePickle »

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: October 04, 2011, 11:24:48 am »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 08:53:41 pm by MC Dirty »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: October 04, 2011, 11:28:31 am »

It really has nothing to do with religion, and instead everything to do with "obscenity."

Yes, apparently words can be obscene. I don't get it myself, but there it is. People get offended by words all the time where I live. That is why there are rules against them in public schools. (though they rarely stopped someone from shouting "fuck" down the hallways)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: October 04, 2011, 11:28:58 am »

How...
What...
Why...
The Bible Belt is in the ultra-conservative Deep South of the US. We still have the blue laws (religion-based laws that restrict things like, say, cursing) in effect, although thankfully nobody's stupid enough to disobey those rules enough to get arrested.
There are rules against cursing on public transportation and in certain government buildings, and a person theoretically could get fined for "causing a disturbance," but the absolute worst I've ever heard of is people being forcibly removed from the bus/building/etc. for their cursing, since the police won't arrest anyone for it, since a blue law violator would win in court very easily.
Even so, the blue laws do still allow businesses and government operations to make rules against the use of curses, so schools disallow cursing.
Wow, I knew that the deep south of the US was a bit... peculiar, but what happened to secularism? What the fuck happened to separation of church and state? In which century did they get stuck in?

Surely no earlier than 1492 :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: October 04, 2011, 11:32:56 am »

To me it inspires something related to the genitalia, for some reason.
To me it sounds like treasure, and plundered booty and... ohhhhhhh.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: October 04, 2011, 11:40:32 am »

How...
What...
Why...
Wow, I knew that the deep south of the US was a bit... peculiar, but what happened to secularism? What the fuck happened to separation of church and state? In which century did they get stuck in?

Surely no earlier than 1492 :P
Try 33AD. Although I don't think we stone anyone for saying "Jehovah".

*clonk*

Ow...okay, I could be wrong.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: October 04, 2011, 12:05:07 pm »

Indiana has this crap, too... except they even punish proxy swear words.  I've seen kids get sent home for saying "freak" or "that sucks".  A couple teachers at my kid's school even go the extra mile and punish the word "hate".  Hiro could get in trouble for saying he hates vegetables. 

It's so stupid, and we're very lucky that Hiro understands he can't talk in public the same way he talks at home.  We don't believe in censorship at all, and miraculously he is able to carry on like a sailor at home, yet hasn't got in trouble at school for language once.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: October 04, 2011, 12:20:37 pm »

The rain yesterday. I'm sitting at the bus stop and it starts raining. It's getting pretty heavy by the time the bus comes(late, as usual), and 2/3rds of the way home it's a complete torrent coming down.
When I get off the bus, nothing.

Also, there's a CAUTION: WET FLOOR sign on the floor here at the library. Only, it's a carpeted floor.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: October 04, 2011, 02:58:39 pm »

I've seen people slip on carpeted floors.

Okay, well, I've seen a person slip on a carpeted floor, but it just proves it could happen.

Besides, perhaps they don't want people who don't have shoes to step in the wetness...maybe?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: October 04, 2011, 03:02:42 pm »

Carpets can be quite slippery sometimes, but I guess their slipperiness isn't usually dependent on how we they are.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 11040