Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14458351 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #795 on: June 30, 2011, 03:39:02 pm »

I've been tempted to try contacts, but the idea of touching my eyes is...unnerving.

There is an adjustment period. And in fact you don't touch your eye except partially when taking them out. I use one hand to keep my lids open more, and the contact is on the tip of my other pointer finger. You just move your finger closer to your eye until you feel the wetness of the contact touch it, and then liquid surface tension takes over and the contact slips on to your pupil. Your finger never actually touches your eye. When I take them out, I use two fingers and touch near my pupil (on the contact.) That's generally enough to make it slip off onto my other finger.

It sounds and initially feels a lot tougher than it actually is but that's because it takes awhile to learn how to apply a light touch. Contacts today are so thin and porous that your eyes barely notice they're there, as long as they're spotlessly clean and not months past their expiration date.

I don't deny that it takes some ocular fortitude to get used to putting them in, but once you do and figure out your technique it doesn't hurt anymore. I don't even use a mirror anymore. It takes longer to rinse my contacts off in the morning that it does to put them in.

It's nice to not have glasses on if and when you choose to, especially if you play any kind of sports. I finally decided to try contacts after I got cross-checked playing soccer and was cut up by my own glasses.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:45:28 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 30, 2011, 03:43:39 pm »

Spoiler: Wut. (click to show/hide)

I've had that as one of my wallpapers for a long time already.  That image was made by Rob Sheridan, who is best known for doing a lot of visual art for Nine Inch Nails.  Check out his website.  He has a lot of cool stuff.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 30, 2011, 04:38:24 pm »

My application for a credit card was denied because I don't currently have a credit card or any other outstanding credit.  Which is why I filled out the application in the first place.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 30, 2011, 04:52:30 pm »

My application for a credit card was denied because I don't currently have a credit card or any other outstanding credit.  Which is why I filled out the application in the first place.
That makes zero sense.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 30, 2011, 04:53:16 pm »

That makes zero sense.

Doesn't make any dollars either
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 30, 2011, 05:07:30 pm »

That one strip has seen more use than the rest of xkcd combined.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 30, 2011, 05:09:00 pm »

You are right about that strip being right, breadbocks. Or is it right and making you be right because its right?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 30, 2011, 05:46:03 pm »

They want proof you're capable of frivolously spending money beyond your means.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #804 on: June 30, 2011, 09:56:11 pm »

My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 30, 2011, 10:20:03 pm »

And only a couple of years ago my dead grandmother was getting unsolicited pre-approved student loan applications.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 30, 2011, 10:33:12 pm »

Well it's well known they make more profit of irresponsible spenders, so it makes sense to direct their limited credit to real idiots. Not having previous credit implies you are likely to pay on time, which they HATE. The real profits come from failure to pay, and they underwrite lower headline credit rates and interest-free periods.

If everyone paid off the debt within the interest-free time, they would go broke! But they need to keep advertising that interest-free time to be competitive to attract the real customers they are after. They're knocking you back because nobody's meant to actually pay off their bills in that time period, it's just a lure.

@Karnewarrior : that video was more disturbing than I expected. And I have Urotsukidoji and Frankenhooker DVDs
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:42:44 pm by Reelyanoob »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 30, 2011, 10:51:37 pm »

I thought credit card companies made a lot of money off of the vendors for transaction fees.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 30, 2011, 10:56:38 pm »

What do they have to worry about anyway, when they can just charge people for not using their card?  Or did that practice get quietly struck down?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 30, 2011, 10:59:30 pm »

Who knows.

The only reason why I actually want credit is because some apartment owners and potential employers sometimes check a credit report.  I don't actually want to borrow anything.  Hell, I wouldn't want a mortgage to buy a house; I'd rather pay cash.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 11040