Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6641 6642 [6643] 6644 6645 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14454608 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #99630 on: March 31, 2016, 08:11:32 pm »

Do they walk around in public being constantly afraid that someone is going to violently lash out at them with no warning?
Uhhhh, yeah? Like, yooooo, you do realize that that's a legit fear for many women, minorities and lgbt folk, don't you?
And yet the autists of the world, a definite minority, feel no such fear.
Sure, they don't...
A 14 year old with the mental capacity of a seven year old, a boy who walked out onto train tracks, and an intellectually disabled individual. In the first 2 cases, they got themselves into trouble and the situation was escalated by misunderstanding police. The third case wouldn't have gone any differently if he had been straight up retarded instead of autistic. Come to think of it, the second case probably wouldn't have gone any better if he had been neurotypical, what with his headphones and his seizure. As I see it, the first and most likely the third case are never going to be fully functional individuals and it would be for the best if they spent their lives in a....gee, asylum has too many negative connotations, what do I want to say instead? I'm picturing a place with lush green meadows, a couple trees, maybe some flowers too. Well trained, understanding staff. Lots of soft, comfortable furniture and art programs galore. Let's go with....sanctuary. The second case was a teenager doing something stupid (as teenagers are wont to do) and getting a bit more shit for it than he deserved because of circumstances beyond the control of any involved party. Nothing there is making me feel afraid.

I'm a white neurotypical(outside of depression, I 'spose) dude, buckaroo. Not talking about my own demographic. :P
It's far from paranoid tho. Annnnnd far from negligible.
Let's see.....the first link doesn't even mention anything relevant to the discussion, and the second outright says that people with mental illness suffer more violence because their mental illness tends to get them into situations where violence is common. Yeah, no, I'm not exactly terrified.

EDIT: And you'll note that two of those stories I linked in my previous post involved police as the people assaulting the victim. Imagine not even being able to trust the police to defend you.
Would you like to hear about the polite, respectful and non-violent interaction I had with a police officer yesterday? He was friendly, he asked a few questions, I answered and cooperated fully. Within a minute he had discerned that I was not the individual he was looking for and we parted ways. At no point in the interaction did I feel any fear of the officer, and why would I? Other than jaywalking, breaking the speed limite every now and then and occasionally pirating a pdf, I haven't done anything remotely illegal for years. Worst case scenario, he asks me to come to the station, I cooperate, I answer a few more questions and then they let me go because I'm not the guy I'm looking for. Honestly, what actually scared me yesterday was seeing an ambulance 10 seconds later and realizing "holy shit, earlier today a violent crime occurred not that far from my home!"

Im a little more interested in why they dont ask for a clubroom for a 'african culture club' or any manner of things.

A space that officially encourages only one race is ridiculous, and its great to see descan's outrage only extends one way

...I mean, I agree with Descan here. You wouldn't deny the LGBT-etcetera community an LGBT-etcetera-only space would you? It's just a place that they can get away from the mainstream racist bullshit and still have a place to hang out or study.
Wouldn't that just be a club of the kind pisskop suggested? What's worrying about the ideas behind demands like this is that they focus on exclusion instead of focusing on community. It's not about getting black folks together to discuss issues like racism and just generally hang around with people who share some core experiences with you - it's about keeping out the white folks. That's disturbing, and not at all justifiable by some sort of safe space argument: Three white dudes mixed in with a hundred black folks are hardly gonna make a difference, even if they're the biggest racists since the Civil War.
I completely agree with you, except for the second part of that last sentence and even then only on a technicality. I think you've forgotten exactly what kind of racism we saw from a certain German with a toothbrush mustache and all his associates.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99631 on: March 31, 2016, 08:14:16 pm »

a certain German with a toothbrush mustache and all his associates.
Austria's greatest feat was convincing the world that Hitler was German, not Austrian.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99632 on: March 31, 2016, 08:16:01 pm »

totally wouldn't make a difference. not like racists are often heavily armed in the US or anything.
Sure, because the vast majority of white college students go about their daily routine in full combat gear. Jesus, we're talking about college campuses here - I think it's fairly obvious that conflating that environment with less, let's say, academic ones is at least problematic.

Perhaps it's just the idea that it's keeping out white people is the point, I mean, it isn't really the point, the point is keeping out racist people and it's just a case of coinkidinkery that the majority of those people are white.
Hm, so if it turns out that the majority of crack dealers is black, it's okay to keep black kids away from white schools because kids need to be protected from the drug epidemic?

This group --> individuum reasoning is a fundamental mechanism of discrimination. It should be fought against in all contexts, regardless of what group one is talking about, because it reduces the individuum to its group membership instead of acknowledging it as an independent entity.

I completely agree with you, except for the second part of that last sentence and even then only on a technicality. I think you've forgotten exactly what kind of racism we saw from a certain German with a toothbrush mustache and all his associates.
Naah, it works even then. Literal Hitler would probably just get chased out of the room - it's not like the guy had magical racism powers.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99633 on: March 31, 2016, 08:18:03 pm »

Naah, it works even then. Literal Hitler would probably just get chased out of the room - it's not like the guy had magical racism powers.
He does have a robot suit though.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99634 on: March 31, 2016, 08:18:50 pm »

Half of me wants to point out that neither did anyone before or during the Civil War, the other half of me wants to argue that his charisma and persuasiveness was almost a superpower. I'm honestly torn.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #99635 on: March 31, 2016, 08:25:41 pm »

well y'know
when whites get enslaved for decades and then - even after having ostensibly been freed - have to live under fear of police deciding they're too uppity, you might have a leg to stand on, bud
maybe, in theory.
Dude

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude

Have you even heard of Ireland

And all those Slavic countries

Finland?

The Sami?

C'mon man stop pretending discrimination is only against non-whites, you're making yourself look like a dork

(also the way you slip "ostensibly" in there as though blacks in the IS are still working on cotton fields for food an board is pretty dumb too)

((i mistyped US as IS, imma just leave that there))
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:27:18 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99636 on: March 31, 2016, 08:26:25 pm »

He's just trying to live up to his username. :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #99637 on: March 31, 2016, 08:28:55 pm »

Fun fact, apparently, Hitler never actually had the majority vote in his stint as leader, he wasn't ever actually that popular.
Grain of salt, though, I only vaguely recall reading this.
Perhaps it's just the idea that it's keeping out white people is the point, I mean, it isn't really the point, the point is keeping out racist people and it's just a case of coinkidinkery that the majority of those people are white.
Hm, so if it turns out that the majority of crack dealers is black, it's okay to keep black kids away from white schools because kids need to be protected from the drug epidemic?

This group --> individuum reasoning is a fundamental mechanism of discrimination. It should be fought against in all contexts, regardless of what group one is talking about, because it reduces the individuum to its group membership instead of acknowledging it as an independent entity.
No, see, I'm saying that let the white people in, let fukkin' everybody in, but stop certain people from coming in if people find themselves being abused...
Mmmmmmnever mind, I just realised what I was describing there.
Again, I'm not saying you should keep all the white peole out because most racists are white, I'm saying you should keep the racist people out, the method of sifting I want is something that could be achieved by a colourblind person with no way of telling who is what colour.
Edit: A lot like the way this forum has become so... Open? Accepting?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:30:34 pm by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99638 on: March 31, 2016, 08:32:04 pm »

Would you like to hear about the polite, respectful and non-violent interaction I had with a police officer yesterday? He was friendly, he asked a few questions, I answered and cooperated fully. Within a minute he had discerned that I was not the individual he was looking for and we parted ways. At no point in the interaction did I feel any fear of the officer, and why would I?

Considering you're, likely, a white male in America, there really isn't a whole lot for you to be afraid of. I know I'm not afriad of police, but that really doesn't matter when you get things like all those unanswered for deaths of black people. Like that one NY cop who performed an already-illegal chokehold on a guy who then died because of it. Or the black elementary schooler who was shot because he had a toy gun in the toy section of a store.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #99639 on: March 31, 2016, 08:35:23 pm »

The problem there isn't so much the cops themselves, but the fact that the US police force doesn't appear to have much quality control.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99640 on: March 31, 2016, 08:37:19 pm »

No, see, I'm saying that let the white people in, let fukkin' everybody in, but stop certain people from coming in if people find themselves being abused...
Mmmmmmnever mind, I just realised what I was describing there.
Again, I'm not saying you should keep all the white peole out because most racists are white, I'm saying you should keep the racist people out, the method of sifting I want is something that could be achieved by a colourblind person with no way of telling who is what colour.
Edit: A lot like the way this forum has become so... Open? Accepting?
I don't really get what you're trying to say. What is the method you would like?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #99641 on: March 31, 2016, 08:39:22 pm »

The problem there isn't so much the cops themselves, but the fact that the US police force doesn't appear to have much quality control.
If Hitler changed his targets from Jews to something a little more hip and modern, he might attract a following.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99642 on: March 31, 2016, 08:40:57 pm »

Refugees?
The Bay12 postcard club

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #99643 on: March 31, 2016, 08:41:46 pm »

If Hitler changed his targets from Jews to something a little more hip and modern, he might attract a following.
So... to the great evil of our time, the christian cis heterosexual white male?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99644 on: March 31, 2016, 08:42:51 pm »

The UN declared that serfdom is a form of slavery.

Reparations when, Queen Elizabeth? #notserious

@Fniff: Muslims? Hitler had Muslim allies (united against the Jews, see).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 6641 6642 [6643] 6644 6645 ... 11040