Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6206 6207 [6208] 6209 6210 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14441435 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #93105 on: January 03, 2016, 08:34:38 pm »

1) its gameplay is better than of any other tactical game I've seen.

But is it more tactical then any game you seen?
Why yes, yes it is. The sheer utility the ability to throw other units around brings on the table alone makes it more tactical than any other game I've seen. Geo panel stuff adds even more to that.

Though apparently, you consider these tactics to be
some puzzle elements thrown in (strategies amounting to finding exploits in the game to allow you to defeat superior adversaries)
, which is weird because "exploits that allow you to defeat superior adversaries" is pretty much the definition of what proper tactics are.
._.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93106 on: January 03, 2016, 08:36:50 pm »

1) its gameplay is better than of any other tactical game I've seen.

But is it more tactical then any game you seen?
Why yes, yes it is. The sheer utility the ability to throw other units around brings on the table alone makes it more tactical than any other game I've seen. Geo panel stuff adds even more to that.

Though apparently, you consider these tactics to be
some puzzle elements thrown in (strategies amounting to finding exploits in the game to allow you to defeat superior adversaries)
, which is weird because "exploits that allow you to defeat superior adversaries" is pretty much the definition of what proper tactics are.
I concur.  That is how you tactics.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #93107 on: January 03, 2016, 08:55:29 pm »

Eh, you'll cool down soon enough.

For some reason I had the compulsion to roll up a deadEarth character today. I ended up with a roboticist who was probably going to die from the common cold and couldn't move.
The source of that review, encouraging you to try it because it's so bad.

One of us (or the two of us co-GMing) should run a game of this with the deadEarth Unauthorized radiation tables to make CharGen less deadly.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93108 on: January 03, 2016, 09:09:31 pm »

That...That...That....That...That...That...What.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93109 on: January 03, 2016, 09:25:59 pm »

One of us (or the two of us co-GMing) should run a game of this with the deadEarth Unauthorized radiation tables to make CharGen less deadly.

HERESY
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #93110 on: January 03, 2016, 09:31:53 pm »

For some reason I had the compulsion to roll up a deadEarth character today. I ended up with a roboticist who was probably going to die from the common cold and couldn't move.

Dyson there advocates giving everybody 056 Viability until chargen is over.

There's no way I'm running that though I have 2 ISGs and 2 tabletop adaptations to take care of already and my games usually end up dropping/swatted down like bothersome flies.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93111 on: January 03, 2016, 09:58:39 pm »

HERESY
I didn't say that it would make it impossible for your character to die during character gen, just less likely. :P
And seriously, who likes dying before the game starts?

Dyson there advocates giving everybody 056 Viability until chargen is over.

There's no way I'm running that though I have 2 ISGs and 2 tabletop adaptations to take care of already and my games usually end up dropping/swatted down like bothersome flies.
Viability looks good, and the UnauthRadTable can be used to quickly pick cross-mutations.
Fair enough on that, haha.
The Cyan Menace

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93112 on: January 03, 2016, 11:49:51 pm »

One of the family cats who has more-or-less self tamed in the past year has gotten calm enough to join people on their beds. Sadly, he also does not appear to understand the term "personal space" which is bad for two reasons.

First, he is rather grabby. As in, "you scratch me so I must preform industrial-scale acupuncture on you".
 Second, he has some form of illness or something that causes him to drool a fair amount (noone seems to know what it is and we cant ask the local vet because they want to kill him off for some reason, and no reliable access to vehicles to ask other vets) And as my mother is A) a christian scientist and B) rather cheap, aswell as being the only person who will drive about who has time to drive about, oh, and quite possibly insane to a degree... well, vehicular access is unlikley to increase for a while...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93113 on: January 03, 2016, 11:52:25 pm »

Well, just rolled up a character for the fun of it... using standard table with Viability rule, didn't even wind up using viability.
The mutations rolled wound up being Overwhelming, Proactive Thoughts, Temporal Shift, Slovenly, and Partial Genetic Reconstruction.
So I wound up with a character 52 yrs old (originally 25), 6'1" and 219 lbs (originally 5'9" 207 lbs), with the following skills (not listed: all the 2D6s):
+6D6 Bemuse, 4D6 Boxing, 4D6 Brawling, 1D6 Charisma, -2D6 Climbing, -2D6 Electrical Engineering, +4D6 Intimidate, 4D6 Intuition, +4D6 Navigate, 4D6 Reason, 4D6 Resolve, 6D6 Running, 4D6 Senses, +4D6 Streetwise, 5D6 Tracking, 6D6 Weight Training, 6D6 Wrestling, 6D6 WS Blade, +6D6 WS Blade Paired.
With the skills gained, I wound up with 7 move, 3 resiliency, 0 strength in the end.

So... a pretty normal person, for deadEarth. He broadcasts what he's thinking and can't lie because of it, he got caught in a time vortex and aged 27 years, and he's ugly as shit thanks to being partially genetically reconstructed, but he's a pretty average two-weapon fighter otherwise.
The Cyan Menace

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #93114 on: January 03, 2016, 11:58:28 pm »

Oh yeah, I was going to write a character generator for that a while back. Make life a bit less horrifying.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93115 on: January 04, 2016, 12:29:27 am »

HERESY
I didn't say that it would make it impossible for your character to die during character gen, just less likely. :P
And seriously, who likes dying before the game starts?

Depends on how amusing/spectacular the manner of death is.

After reading the deadEarth thread,  I really want to run a deadEarth game on Bay12, even if my Christmas break ends tomorrow and I probably won't have time.

Also, apparently the term "Glass Ceiling" has to do with sexism and NOT government transparency. That's probably good to know.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93116 on: January 04, 2016, 01:01:32 am »

I remember playing one of the old Disgaea games, 'Absence of Justice', and enjoying it despite the anime aesthetics which I loathe.
The dialogue and wacky plot was actually quite satirical and clever, from what I remember anyway.
I'm not sure if I finished the game or anything, but I certainly played it a lot more than any other JRPG. And it had a whole swag of interesting mechanics, too, from the weird voting system to being able to level up any item in its own unique dungeon.

More recently I saw a free demo available for a more recent Disgaea game. This was somewhat exciting, since I hadn't played one since Absence of Justice and remembered it being good fun. So I downloaded it, waiting quite a while for it to finish, then started playing and... it was awful.
The sense of humour was gone, there were no longer any elements of parody, it all seemed to take itself entirely seriously now. The dialogue was painfully bad, with voice acting to match. It was a pretty massive disappointment. :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #93117 on: January 04, 2016, 01:04:53 am »

Also, apparently the term "Glass Ceiling" has to do with sexism and NOT government transparency. That's probably good to know.
It's supposed to be more general - arbitrary/discriminatory restrictions on advancement - so not just sexism, it applies to lots of other things as well.

the anime aesthetics which I loathe
dude no
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93118 on: January 04, 2016, 01:22:44 am »

Did I spell aesthetics wrong? ???
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93119 on: January 04, 2016, 01:33:48 am »

I've only ever played the first Disgaea, which (with certain poignant exceptions) sounds like what Yoink was describing at first - not serious.  The voting system was indeed great.

Though I barely remember the interesting tile mechanics or character-throwing, since I spent so much time grinding that one super-effective level to grind up levels far beyond what the main story required...  For the extra content.  I think the last one I got was the La Pucelle cameo (which was pretty great).

After a certain point, grinding levels/stats/weapons (via the very cool item world system) was more important than any tactics.  Don't have the stats?  Good luck arranging tactics to get 100+ hits on the enemy.

Honestly, I think La Pucelle was significantly more tactical, though I didn't get very far.  Final Fantasy Tactics and Advance Wars are more tactical I think, but I think they came later?  I don't know.

Oh, complete WTF, I started visiting /vr/ on 4chan before Christmas.  I don't even...  I thought I *knew* things about old video games!  I didn't know anything!  This is amazing!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 6206 6207 [6208] 6209 6210 ... 11040