Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6131 6132 [6133] 6134 6135 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461785 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #91980 on: December 15, 2015, 05:59:40 am »

Kind of a yesterday WTF, but eh.

I slept pretty badly this sunday because sucking at sleeping is basically my thing. Oddly enough, I seemed completely fine for most of yesterday, only actualy feeling tired when I got home. When I was getting ready to sleep, I basically blacked out for about 30 minutes. Its like I passed out, but for me it felt like no time had passed, kinda like blinking and then noticing half an hour passed during the blink. For whatever reason, my body also felt a bit sore.
The last time this happened to me was years ago.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #91981 on: December 15, 2015, 06:13:53 am »

Isn't it just great when that happens?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91982 on: December 15, 2015, 06:28:41 am »

Meanwhile I just slept most of the evening away after getting home from work... I'd worry about not being able to get any sleep later and being tired before work tomorrow, but half the time it seems like I work better on barely any sleep and no breakfast anyway.

Seriously, last time I was at work I'd had a decent amount of sleep as well as a bit of breakfast and felt awful, today I got to sleep at about two or three AM (and started at 9-10AM) and had no food whatsoever and felt fine. Well, not fine- I was at work after all. Still much better than last time.

DAMNIT BODY YOU DEMAND ADEQUATE SLEEP AND THEN COMPLAIN WHEN I GIVE IT TO YOU I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91983 on: December 15, 2015, 06:37:55 am »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #91984 on: December 15, 2015, 06:43:08 am »

Fear leads to the Dark Side. By not giving in to his fears of not becoming a Jedi, Luke prevails. Yoda tests him and he succeeds.

But on a serious note, that Yoda is afraid Luke will fall if he faces Darth too soon does not mean he is correct in his worry. He is not all-knowing.
Love, scriver~

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #91985 on: December 15, 2015, 07:02:54 am »

Kind of a yesterday WTF, but eh.

I slept pretty badly this sunday because sucking at sleeping is basically my thing. Oddly enough, I seemed completely fine for most of yesterday, only actualy feeling tired when I got home. When I was getting ready to sleep, I basically blacked out for about 30 minutes. Its like I passed out, but for me it felt like no time had passed, kinda like blinking and then noticing half an hour passed during the blink. For whatever reason, my body also felt a bit sore.
The last time this happened to me was years ago.
One time when I was having insomnia for the entire night, until around 3am where my mind somehow knew that I can sleep now. As soon as I closed my eyes I felt everything getting brighter in the space of a few seconds (to me obviously) and when I opened my eyes it was morning.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #91986 on: December 15, 2015, 08:25:56 am »

So in Episode V, Yoda says that Luke going to rescue his friends will "destroy everything they've worked for". The worst thing that happens is that Luke loses his hand, and he gets a new robotic one anyway.
Well, obviously Luke's most important goal in life was his Championship Title in the Galactic Wank Competition, and a robot hand disqualified him from defending the title.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91987 on: December 15, 2015, 10:08:37 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS_Xq7gSCBM what is this and how is it so terrifying :(

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #91988 on: December 15, 2015, 11:14:05 am »

Hey guys, we're all breaking the law! For number 3 at least.
Not really. Using a pseudonym does not equal faking one's identity. It's no worse than a writer using a pen name. It'd only be a crime if one was impersonating a specific real person.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #91989 on: December 15, 2015, 11:15:06 am »

Meanwhile I just slept most of the evening away after getting home from work... I'd worry about not being able to get any sleep later and being tired before work tomorrow, but half the time it seems like I work better on barely any sleep and no breakfast anyway.

Seriously, last time I was at work I'd had a decent amount of sleep as well as a bit of breakfast and felt awful, today I got to sleep at about two or three AM (and started at 9-10AM) and had no food whatsoever and felt fine. Well, not fine- I was at work after all. Still much better than last time.

DAMNIT BODY YOU DEMAND ADEQUATE SLEEP AND THEN COMPLAIN WHEN I GIVE IT TO YOU I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.
Breakfast is almost certainly a deciding factor here; if you eat when you aren't used to that can make you feel really crappy.

As for the actual lack of sleep effects, your ability to recognize how crappy you are actually doing declines much faster than your actual performance does due to lack of sleep, which means that no matter how sleep deprived you get you will always think you are performing at your best, despite you actually doing a lot worse than your best. :P

There's also going to habit shocks if you don't normally sleep much or eat much as you work to change those habits; which are going to make you feel worse for a bit. That said if you can actually change your habits then you are going to do much better in the long run, it's just going to be a brief period of feeling like crap as your body actually notices how badly it's doing instead of just going "oh this is regular, ignore those pains and bad performances".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91990 on: December 15, 2015, 11:46:12 am »

Yeah... I know what you mean. Sleep is pretty weird.

For a long time (at least a couple of years) when I was still living at home and quite depressed I slept very little, yet never felt as though I was tired even after playing videogames 'til sunrise and beyond. I think I kinda prided myself on not needing much sleep.

Then I moved out, and wound up sharing a house with a group of people who (at least when I'd just recently moved in) tended to go to bed very early, by my standards. Probably ten or eleven PM. Not wanting to go wandering noisily around the house when everyone else was trying to sleep, I started going to bed then, too- and after just a day or so of that I felt amazingly good, brimming with confidence and vigour that I never normally had.

It was then that I realised, all that time with my terribly unhealthy sleep pattern, I had been tired- extremely tired, I just never realised it because I had nothing else to compare it to. I'm definitely well aware of the benefits of having a set sleep schedule, and I've forced myself into one a few times in the past, it's just that my last few attempts have failed due to lack of willpower and various distractions. :P

...That was kind of rambly. Oh well.
I should really get around to starting up my 'go to bed at 11 pm, stay there until 7 am' routine again. Usually gives me some gnarly nightmares the first couple of nights, but then I start feeling really good.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91991 on: December 15, 2015, 12:14:20 pm »

Discovered Korpiklaani. Never been into metal but :o

Also, I has an idea about a secret santa for someone I know quite well and yet have no idea what to buy.

Does anyone know how one would gt a program for buying one item for less than £1 every day for five days on amazon, and mailing it to somebody's address?
One wheel short of a wagon

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91992 on: December 15, 2015, 12:28:45 pm »

So in Episode V, Yoda says that Luke going to rescue his friends will "destroy everything they've worked for". The worst thing that happens is that Luke loses his hand, and he gets a new robotic one anyway. Leia and Chewbacca escape, and they rescue Han at the beginning of the next movie.

Not even Luke's training was in danger. When he comes back to Dagobah, Yoda just says "lol nothing more to teach" anyway.
Always in motion, the future is.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91993 on: December 15, 2015, 12:42:17 pm »

CNN said that the source of the 'hoax' threat to the NYC school system (they said that the language in it was 'outlandish') seems to be coming from Frankfurt, Germany.

wut...........

I realize it might be proxied to just look like it's coming from Germany, but still, international pranking since when?

Do we have laws here in the US to arrest a German who pulls a stupid prank like that? If it really is coming from there. Or maybe it would be under German jurdicision.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91994 on: December 15, 2015, 12:45:37 pm »

CNN said that the source of the 'hoax' threat to the NYC school system (they said that the language in it was 'outlandish') seems to be coming from Frankfurt, Germany.

wut...........

I realize it might be proxied to just look like it's coming from Germany, but still, international pranking since when?

Do we have laws here in the US to arrest a German who pulls a stupid prank like that? If it really is coming from there. Or maybe it would be under German jurdicision.
It'd be up to the German authorities. International stuff like this can turn into a real mess, especially when, say, Americans get UK proxies and then say things that are illegal in the UK but entirely legal in the US, to a UK police department on Twitter.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!
Pages: 1 ... 6131 6132 [6133] 6134 6135 ... 11040