Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6111 6112 [6113] 6114 6115 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14437697 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #91680 on: December 10, 2015, 06:28:30 pm »

The pile of old games that I loved back in college, which I rediscovered a couple of days ago...  Are mostly not great :/

I kinda forgot that I was only playing this Gamemaker stuff because it was free, and often frustratingly hard.  I still might showcase some of them, but it's going to be less "Undiscovered gems" and more "Creative but not very fun freeware".

One of the games in question: http://www.rjbsoftware.co.uk/afterlife/
It's sorta like Joust except very tedious.  Music is cool though, and the art's kinda neat in a minimalist way, but the enemies move randomly and take several hits. 

The umbrella weapon is kinda neat:  You launch it up like a spear, and have to recover it.  It does several hits if it floats down onto enemies, otherwise it does one hit and bounces away (into lava, half the time.  Which can still be recovered but...).  If you catch it midair after a kill (or combo) there's a cute fanfare.  Original, but pretty frustrating.
The bombs, though, ugh.  They're the main weapon and they suck.  The gimmick is you can sorta "toss" by moving sideways and up (they're launched with your momentum).  It's harder than it sounds though, and sometimes their momentum plainly doesn't match yours.  Accuracy is almost impossible, you just have to keep bombing and slowly whittle enemies down.

Which isn't so bad when the enemies move predictably, but half of them random-walk (at speed).  So you have to keep your distance if possible and take pot shots, or risk getting hit unavoidably.

It's kinda sad because the game got updated a couple months ago!  I played it literally 10 years ago, and it's been getting updates all this time.  And some of the updates seem pretty cool.  But the core gameplay just... hurts my hand and my patience.

[9 new replies have been posted] oop should probably make a video review instead
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 06:30:30 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91681 on: December 10, 2015, 06:46:36 pm »

Found out the name of the company that my sister thinks is a good idea. YOR Health. A quick search reveals quite a bit in the way of fraud complaints. And a lot of YOR's representatives lashing out at the people who call them frauds. Total goddamn pyramid.

I really hope I can beat some sense into my little sister. Even if it requires actually beating her. ::)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #91683 on: December 10, 2015, 07:36:12 pm »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbeat/tiger-and-goat-forge-unlikely-friendship-in-russian-zoo/ar-AAgeZAU
Yeah, it's cute until this part:
The tiger has also attempted to teach the goat how to catch prey

And as you know, goats will eat ANYTHING. And then it'll teach other goats.
This is how it ends....not with a bang, but with a chorus of bloodthirsty bleats.
Goatpocalypse Now.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91684 on: December 10, 2015, 07:37:08 pm »

I've kind of noticed that in games like Minecraft what always seems to happen is I get kind of crowded out of my own home. At first I have my own plot and I am just seeing it grow, some people come along and we work together... Then later on they are doing who knows what and basically own the entire place and I don't really have anything to do anymore because my job is to make them happy.

>_< why is it that the community is always the worst part of community games?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91685 on: December 10, 2015, 07:46:27 pm »

I've kind of noticed that in games like Minecraft what always seems to happen is I get kind of crowded out of my own home. At first I have my own plot and I am just seeing it grow, some people come along and we work together... Then later on they are doing who knows what and basically own the entire place and I don't really have anything to do anymore because my job is to make them happy.

Do you play Minecraft with Syrians?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #91686 on: December 10, 2015, 07:58:32 pm »

I feel bad for laughing at that.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91687 on: December 10, 2015, 08:04:24 pm »

I read that as "Syreens".(From Star Control)

Why brain. Why.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91688 on: December 10, 2015, 09:05:43 pm »

Time passes so quickly when I'm engrossed in something.
I'm playing DF, and seemingly just a moment ago I thought to myself, "Okay, when this song finishes I'm going to switch to another band," and then next time I look I'm 7 minutes or so into the next track. O.o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #91689 on: December 10, 2015, 09:07:58 pm »

That's like me when I'm reading a book, last night, I started reading it when I could have sworn it was about 11-12 AM, and when I finished it was two hours later, but I hardly noticed.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:09:36 pm by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91690 on: December 10, 2015, 09:11:43 pm »

Yeah, books are quite ridiculous for me, too.
It used to be a very common occurrence for me to zone out entirely whilst reading, not noticing anything going on around me, if I was being spoken to, nothing. I don't read as much constantly as I used to, but when I do that's still the case. Always fun. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #91691 on: December 10, 2015, 10:39:09 pm »

Have you tried landmines?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91692 on: December 10, 2015, 10:41:13 pm »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatoomanyessaysatalmost11PMaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #91693 on: December 10, 2015, 10:44:37 pm »

Yeah, books are quite ridiculous for me, too.
It used to be a very common occurrence for me to zone out entirely whilst reading, not noticing anything going on around me, if I was being spoken to, nothing. I don't read as much constantly as I used to, but when I do that's still the case. Always fun. :)

I too have experienced this.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #91694 on: December 10, 2015, 10:47:20 pm »

Have you tried landmines?

This is why I build my bases inside natural features a long way from spawn and completely conceal it from the outside by replacing my entry point with natural stone/dirt/grass whenever I enter or exit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 6111 6112 [6113] 6114 6115 ... 11040