Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6079 6080 [6081] 6082 6083 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14453146 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #91200 on: December 03, 2015, 03:37:43 pm »

except win8 had the whole "literally built for tablets with a shit UI" thing that 10 doesn't
10 seems to have diminished that, by mostly bringing the start menu back, but I've yet to see any reason to upgrade from 7.  Plenty of reasons not to.

For one thing the "update" which added that damn notification and persistently pre-downloads 10 is literally adware and disgusting.

I haven't done much looking into this issue, as I wanted Windows 10, there seems to be a fix here.
The registry edit they provide does seem to stop the download.  (Also I checked their .reg file in a text editor, it does only do what it says).  To remove the icon, one must type "Notification Area Icons" in the run bar and disable the icon there. 

Or uninstall the so-called "important" update, and keep it from reinstalling itself.  I assume this works though I haven't tried it.

I still can't believe Microsoft did this.  Literally adware, disguised as an important update.  Designed to stop any normal user from disabling it.  Automatically downloads gigs of data without asking.  THIS is one of the reasons no serious corporation lets Windows Update run automatically.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #91201 on: December 03, 2015, 03:45:08 pm »

Or uninstall the so-called "important" update, and keep it from reinstalling itself.  I assume this works though I haven't tried it.
This one worked fine for me. Just uninstall that particular KBxxxxxxxxx update and then hide it in the list while keeping an eye on what you are updating for the next few days. If it doesn't pop back up by then, then it should stay hidden forever and never download on it's own. (Of course I have my windows update set to "notify me of updates but let me choose when to download/install them" to stop the annoying "you have 5 minutes before we restart" popups, so your mileage may vary).

That said I'm probably gonna be the person who waits all of the way up until July of next year to upgrade and then sneak in in the last month of the free upgrade capabilities. I mean Windows 10 definitely looks like it's continuing the trend of every other version of Windows being good (98, xp, 7, 10). That said I don't think they've quite totally beaten Windows 7 yet, but I think another couple months of patches and fixes and we should be there (at which point I know I'm upgrading).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91202 on: December 03, 2015, 03:52:16 pm »

I upgraded my good old win 7 to 10, no complains so far beyond a rather rugged update process (I had to restart my computer at least 5 times until it booted right, I guess it was installing/updating drivers or something)

Got a huge speed boost and other than Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds I haven't had any compatibility issue, and even that one got a workaround.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91203 on: December 03, 2015, 03:53:40 pm »

Ye, Windows 10 is pretty fine. Nice and easy to use, update went seamless, and you can turn off any of the weird creepy privacy bullshit.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91204 on: December 03, 2015, 04:16:05 pm »

Seriously, has anyone else had the "error: can't write read only file" issue? Am I the only one?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91205 on: December 03, 2015, 04:39:24 pm »

Seriously, has anyone else had the "error: can't write read only file" issue? Am I the only one?
Maybe? It's really difficult to tell what exact problem you are talking about with no data other than the error message (since you could literally be getting this message on anything from a Playstation to a PC to an electric toothbrush with the information given so far :P).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91206 on: December 03, 2015, 05:08:59 pm »

Sooo...... Any major reason to not get Windows10 yet or should I wait until like May to get it?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91207 on: December 03, 2015, 05:10:21 pm »

If you're just a regular user there's probably no real good reason to wait at this time. If you're a heavier computer programmer/developer than you might still want to wait a few more months at least to give a few more libraries/etc. time to update and fix bugs. :)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #91208 on: December 03, 2015, 05:14:16 pm »

Theres nothing special right now, unless you really like the look.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91209 on: December 03, 2015, 05:16:41 pm »

If you enjoy learning new interfaces and compatibility issues, you probably want Linux instead.
Don't get it "just because".  That's what Microsoft is trying offensively hard for.
Simple explanation is that they're going to charge heavily for upgrades down the road.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #91210 on: December 03, 2015, 06:22:44 pm »

They've already charged heavily for upgrades for the past 20 years.

Also, the search computer feature is unbelievably better in 10 than 7.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91211 on: December 03, 2015, 06:23:06 pm »

Goodness

Big Hero 6 and Hotel Transylvania 2 both ruin the whole point of their movie right at the end.

I don't why movies set up plot and character depth and motivation... if 15 minutes before the end they go "Phew! that was close... we almost delivered on our premise."?

Those are just the two worst cases I've seen recently mind you. In the sense that even though they are both somewhat competent, they lost all my good will pretty much immediately.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #91212 on: December 03, 2015, 06:25:44 pm »

Yeah, that kind of cop-out kind of ruins some of the, as it is said, "feels".

Haven't seen Transylvania 2--not one much for unnecessary sequels to family comedies--but at least the one in 6 had an element of a well-done Chekov's Gun in there.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91213 on: December 03, 2015, 06:33:48 pm »

Yeah, that kind of cop-out kind of ruins some of the, as it is said, "feels".

Haven't seen Transylvania 2--not one much for unnecessary sequels to family comedies--but at least the one in 6 had an element of a well-done Chekov's Gun in there.

Honestly if they didn't cop-out with the ending... It would probably be the best kid friendly movie about racism ever made.

It actually is quite deep. Heck the most annoying parts the movie outside the cop-out is just the trailer bait, but that can be ignored.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91214 on: December 03, 2015, 07:07:59 pm »

I have a dwarf that needs a cold shower.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 6079 6080 [6081] 6082 6083 ... 11040