Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6071 6072 [6073] 6074 6075 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457707 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #91080 on: December 01, 2015, 12:40:39 pm »

Seriously though, where I live there's be people sitting out on their porches and fields just waiting for a drone to cross their property line so's that Christmas can come early with a little help from Messrs. Remington and Browning.
And there's going to be a whole heap of Amazon lawyers waiting for those people so they can sue them out of house, home, job, and every last penny. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon plans to sell the upgrade for the first few years to Amazon air at a loss, and then make up all the money from lost merchandise/etc. through legal suffering of any person who dares to cross them for damage.

And that doesn't even account for the fact that shooting at any form of aircraft (including drones) is a federal crime which is punishable by up to 20 years in prison (up to 5 years just for threatening to do so) and fines of up to $250,000, for which I'm sure Amazon will be happy to ensure that you have the best prosecution lawyer in the district.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #91081 on: December 01, 2015, 12:46:10 pm »

the real joy will be in shooting these things down over the property of neighbors you hate, then planting the weapon on their property somewhere

just gotta knock off a few key members of the homeowner's association, and then we'll see who has to maintain their goddamn lawn

for obvious legal reasons, i do not actually condone doing this. this post is humorous in nature, not a declaration of intent
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #91082 on: December 01, 2015, 12:59:30 pm »

Seriously though, where I live there's be people sitting out on their porches and fields just waiting for a drone to cross their property line so's that Christmas can come early with a little help from Messrs. Remington and Browning.
And there's going to be a whole heap of Amazon lawyers waiting for those people so they can sue them out of house, home, job, and every last penny. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon plans to sell the upgrade for the first few years to Amazon air at a loss, and then make up all the money from lost merchandise/etc. through legal suffering of any person who dares to cross them for damage.

And that doesn't even account for the fact that shooting at any form of aircraft (including drones) is a federal crime which is punishable by up to 20 years in prison (up to 5 years just for threatening to do so) and fines of up to $250,000, for which I'm sure Amazon will be happy to ensure that you have the best prosecution lawyer in the district.
http://www.wdrb.com/story/30354128/judge-dismisses-charges-for-man-who-shot-down-drone

There's already precedent around here. Stand yer ground.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91083 on: December 01, 2015, 01:05:04 pm »

What about using really long sticks? And how they are going to know whom shot what? Are the drones going to carry cameras all recoding everything all the time? What about nets or traps? It's there a law about trapping a plane with a net? What if people sue Amazon for invasion of property while/if the drones pass over their houses? At which height must the drones fly to be considered not in the property but public air space (if that even exists)? What about the inevitable accidents of drones failing?

I'm certain Amazon has most if not all of those things covered, I'm just curious and having a blast imagining hordes of people buying bb guns to have the most awesome, cheap Christmas of all.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #91084 on: December 01, 2015, 01:08:20 pm »

I expect that they'd be ordered to return goods carried by shot-down drones, but (as per the link above), if they can make a justifiable argument that they were protecting their property they'd likely win any court battle that wasn't flooded with money all out of proportion to losses. That is, of course, if they're shot down in a location where the individual responsible can be located--someone shoots one down out in the hills and absconds with the package, good luck ever finding them.

I expect Amazon delivery drones will be flying exceptionally high.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91085 on: December 01, 2015, 01:10:34 pm »

the real joy will be in shooting these things down over the property of neighbors you hate, then planting the weapon on their property somewhere

just gotta knock off a few key members of the homeowner's association, and then we'll see who has to maintain their goddamn lawn

for obvious legal reasons, i do not actually condone doing this. this post is humorous in nature, not a declaration of intent
Okay, I laughed at the lawn part.  I know that pain.  And gods help you if you ever live in a historic district...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #91086 on: December 01, 2015, 01:14:10 pm »

Isn't one of the government things still taking its sweet time figuring out rules for drones anyway, or did that finish that already?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #91087 on: December 01, 2015, 01:26:50 pm »

http://www.wdrb.com/story/30354128/judge-dismisses-charges-for-man-who-shot-down-drone

There's already precedent around here. Stand yer ground.
Important things to note about that particular case:
1) He wasn't actually charged for shooting at a drone, he was charged for "wanton endangerment" caused by firing his gun within city limits.
2) That was still at the state level, since the FAA wasn't involved as the federal crime yet.
3) The fact that the drone was seen below the treeline by several people helped to classify it as an invasion of privacy, you can sure bet the amazon drones are going to be much higher.

In short, this is a nice precedent for shooting down low-flying drones that are hovering over your property, but pretty worthless as a precedent of you shooting down parcel-laden amazon air drones, and it's still confined to a state-only level, not a federal one. :P

What about using really long sticks? And how they are going to know whom shot what? Are the drones going to carry cameras all recoding everything all the time? What about nets or traps? It's there a law about trapping a plane with a net? What if people sue Amazon for invasion of property while/if the drones pass over their houses? At which height must the drones fly to be considered not in the property but public air space (if that even exists)? What about the inevitable accidents of drones failing?
1) The exact law uses terms like "intent to disable" and "act of violence", so things like long sticks, nets, and traps are all covered under that blanket.
2) Based off the aforementioned ruling it looks like the current estimate for the "height limit" is "above the treeline", but we will no doubt see more clarifications there. Currently the only FAA limit on drones is that they have to stay under 500 ft.
3) We're looking at a similar conflict for property trespassing. Current "precedents" for how much air you own above your property go from around 80 feet to 500 feet (which is the current height of drone travel, and the point where the air becomes a public space by law), so who knows how that will go down. I'd be willing to bet Amazon has a very nice legal team prepared to fight it out though.
4) Most drones constantly transmit flight data, so it suddenly going down over your property is a big hint, and when your neighbors all report that the shots were coming from that person's property and you now have a shiny new blender it's a pretty good indication that something was going on. :P A lot of drones do also carry cameras as well, which would be another nail in the coffin.
5) For accidents there's still a lot up in the air. Depending on how rulings go we could have anything from a "if it crashed and did damage then you've got to pay for it" to "it's up to the victim to prove you weren't doing your fullest extent to prevent the crash or you don't have to pay". As for the actual drone itself, it differs from area to area, with some saying that the property is yours unless the owner (in this case Amazon) shows up to claim it within a certain period, while others say that you have to turn it in to the government until that period has expired (after which they give it back to you).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91088 on: December 01, 2015, 01:40:50 pm »

The amazon drone does seem to be designed to fly at higher altitudes than most consumer level drones, so its unlikely it would raise much concern privacy wise, or risk it being assailed by long sticks and other non projectile attacks. The drones are also probably constantly tracked by GPS, so if one gets taken down, finding the culprit shouldn't be terribly hard after some investigation. I wouldn't be surprised if it also carried a black box of sorts, along with some small cameras to catch a glimpse of who may come and try to take its cargo or the drone itself.

Its not that much of a legal hassle, really (unless some places have some really strict legislation in regards to drone, and I wouldn't doubt that wacky US state legislation may cause problems). There's already legislation in place to deal with the damages things like this can cause if they crash or malfunction, and in regards to damages caused to it. The biggest problems are mostly related to the practical application of it all. A angry climate can really ruin a light flying vehicle such as drones, and the topology of some houses may cause problems with package delivery.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:42:30 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #91089 on: December 01, 2015, 01:42:19 pm »

A angry climate can really ruin a light flying vehicle such as drones
And it doesn't stay in one place long enough to be sued afterwards, the jerk. :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91090 on: December 01, 2015, 01:44:31 pm »

My "wtf moment" for today: ‘Rambo’ TV Series in the Works.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91091 on: December 01, 2015, 02:38:58 pm »

My "wtf moment" for today: ‘Rambo’ TV Series in the Works.

Wait what? Is it set before he retired?

At this point Rambo continuing to fight... a LOT is... really sad... not heroic.

I mean the man lost his job, his wife, his home, his mind... Stop Rambo stop! Boxing is ruining your life!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #91092 on: December 01, 2015, 03:05:40 pm »

Uh Neo, I pretty sure you're thinking of Rocky XD
It's FEF, not FEOF

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91093 on: December 01, 2015, 03:07:25 pm »

Will it be set on which war? Or what would be? Who will play Rambo? Is Stallone still up to the task?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91094 on: December 01, 2015, 03:09:49 pm »

It'll be like that Rambo parody in UHF.
Pages: 1 ... 6071 6072 [6073] 6074 6075 ... 11040