Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5985 5986 [5987] 5988 5989 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14446478 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #89790 on: November 11, 2015, 09:22:31 pm »

Anyway, I think windows has an option somewhere to make a few things larger, might be worth investigating.

Ugh, doing this caused all my desktop icons to reset themselves, seemingly based on alphabetical order. Only it forgot the alphabet.

And considering how I have an obsessive need every icon in just the right place, this upsets me a little.

Install the program "Desktop OK"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89791 on: November 11, 2015, 09:23:12 pm »

Actually, what I've also noticed is that the quantity of Youtube comments seemed to have gone on some weird exponential curve. There are so many comments dated 2014-2015 that it feels that recently people just started shitposting everywhere for the sake of shitposting in a positive memetic feedback loop, like a machine. Maybe that explains the steadily lowering average memory length...
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #89793 on: November 11, 2015, 09:28:56 pm »

Actually, what I've also noticed is that the quantity of Youtube comments seemed to have gone on some weird exponential curve. There are so many comments dated 2014-2015 that it feels that recently people just started shitposting everywhere for the sake of shitposting in a positive memetic feedback loop, like a machine. Maybe that explains the steadily lowering average memory length...
This can probably be traced to how Google changed the youtube comment system to more resemble facebook, itself changed to resemble more twitter to result in twofgbleokktube

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89794 on: November 11, 2015, 09:29:22 pm »

Apparently many people in Youtube comments have no clue that 144p mode didn't exist until the last year or two.

That rate of memory loss is frankly frightening.
Why the hell would anyone watch 144p video? Don't just say "bad internet connections" because they would have been even worse when YT started and TIL they didn't have that back then. Actually, I thought that it was only there as legacy support from the days of weaker internet.

Is it so people can watch videos on hacked Gameboys or something?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89795 on: November 11, 2015, 09:32:51 pm »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2015/11/11/university-of-missouri-police-arrest-suspect-in-social-media-death-threats/

Holy shit.
Oh, on the subject of more serious WTF, can someone explain what the Mizzou bullshit is? My knowledge of it is "some racist incident > protests > president resigns > more protests > neo-Nazi violence" but literally every other relevant detail has escaped me, and I can't imagine how any reasonable people on either side could have reacted the way they have were there not something more to it.

inb4 "there are no reasonable people on either side", which may well be it.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #89796 on: November 11, 2015, 09:34:00 pm »

Apparently many people in Youtube comments have no clue that 144p mode didn't exist until the last year or two.

That rate of memory loss is frankly frightening.
Why the hell would anyone watch 144p video? Don't just say "bad internet connections" because they would have been even worse when YT started and TIL they didn't have that back then. Actually, I thought that it was only there as legacy support from the days of weaker internet.

Is it so people can watch videos on hacked Gameboys or something?
Its basically for music-only videos, last i'd checked. Except they sound like crap at that resolution anyway...
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89797 on: November 11, 2015, 09:38:12 pm »

Oh, on the subject of more serious WTF, can someone explain what the Mizzou bullshit is? My knowledge of it is "some racist incident > protests > president resigns > more protests > neo-Nazi violence" but literally every other relevant detail has escaped me, and I can't imagine how any reasonable people on either side could have reacted the way they have were there not something more to it.

The students protesting are definitely unreasonable, the journalists are understandable but with misplaced intentions, and the neo-nazi stuff was fake.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89798 on: November 11, 2015, 09:42:34 pm »

The students protesting are definitely unreasonable, the journalists are understandable but with misplaced intentions, and the neo-nazi stuff was fake.
That makes sense. I figured the students were unreasonable, after hearing about the "SAFE SPACE MEDIA STAY OUT" sign in a public space and from the fact that college students haven't done sincere protesting since the 1970s. Nonetheless, I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt about the hyperbolic "NEO NAZIS ARE GOING AROUND MURDERING BLACK STUDENTS" claims just because there were so many of them, but I can totally imagine that it's just that - hyperbole.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #89799 on: November 11, 2015, 09:43:26 pm »

Liberal arts professor says something racist (maybe?) > protests (well, internet outrage) > protests > racist yikyak death threats > protests > turns out yikyak death threats were false flag > lawyer up I am besmirched > protests again > erm... > proffies apologizing over what? > ok now they're stepping down > ahhhhhh

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89800 on: November 11, 2015, 09:49:10 pm »

So, complete and utter chaos that not even the people involved in it have any idea about?

That was the impression I got from the whole thing.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:51:16 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89801 on: November 11, 2015, 10:38:28 pm »

Liberal arts professor says something racist (maybe?) > protests (well, internet outrage) > protests > racist yikyak death threats > protests > turns out yikyak death threats were false flag > lawyer up I am besmirched > protests again > erm... > proffies apologizing over what? > ok now they're stepping down > ahhhhhh
Except, weren't they calling for, like, civil discussion of something or am I mistaking that for something else?

Anywho: This.
This nonsense.
[quot author=TheMediumFish link=topic=135884.msg6593468#msg6593468 date=1446771372]
[kuote author=Hotplate link=topic=135884.msg6593313#msg6593313 date=1446767784]
Just remember; as in real life, making a Kopey of a coppie of a copy of a copy is soemtimes okey.
a copy of a copy of a
Thot dat was the xk@# for a moment.
I will copy your thoughts into this thingy.
[\quote]
[\quote]repotting because swallowed up in RP debate
The backslashes to the closequote tags are my fault, everything else was left as was.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89802 on: November 11, 2015, 10:44:59 pm »

But why did the president step down if it was just a random professor who said something racist (maybe)? I understand he represents the whole college in a way, but unless there's another missing piece it would have made more sense for him to help convince the professor to quit.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89803 on: November 11, 2015, 11:17:05 pm »

It's an unruly mob, which only wants to cause anarchy and chaos.

Give them a whiff of grapeshot and this should all go away quickly.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #89804 on: November 11, 2015, 11:21:01 pm »

Because that all worked so well the last time.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 5985 5986 [5987] 5988 5989 ... 11040