Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5944 5945 [5946] 5947 5948 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471228 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #89175 on: November 02, 2015, 08:08:16 pm »

okay so Undertale has some sort of weird memetic effect around it that make people think it's some sort of lolsorandom meme game with generic JRPG mechanics

like i'm not joking i somehow see that all the damn time from people who complain without ever bothering to look even though it's not even remotely true
As one of the people who has made that judgment and gotten roundly criticized for it...

I admit that I was wrong about the mechanics being JRPG clichés and they actually look kind of interesting... but I haven't seen anything to refute the accusations that it relies heavily on "lolsorandom" Tumblr-type humor. I've heard some vague things about the story being deeper and more emotional than the game lets on, but people act like that refutes those accusations when they're absolutely not mutually exclusive.

It's not just the (apparent) humor that irks me but the (once more) "Tumblr" aesthetic in general, with the juxtaposition of creepy and cute things, semi-anthropomorphic animals/monsters, and brightly colored pixels. Then again, the dev is apparently tangentially connected to Homestuck, so it may be a case of "Seinfeld Is Unfunny" where he helped spread the aesthetic to the Tumblr crowd in the first place.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89176 on: November 02, 2015, 08:13:26 pm »

Been playing it. There are some lolrandom moments. And one area in particular I find really bad for it, though that may be on purpose.

The game is good, I think. Some differing mechanics pop up at times, with battles being a mix of bullet-hells and puzzle/guessing-games.

And sometimes odd solutions, at times.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89177 on: November 02, 2015, 08:15:56 pm »

There is a weird paradox with fiction

The more realistic fiction tries to be, the less believable it becomes.

Trauma Center for example had basically a super virus which is like a biological nanobot which I could buy. That is cured with Medicine.

Yet Trauma Team has a "Magic Virus" that is cured via "Magic Science"... They is trying to be the more grounded of the two (outside Super Heroes, Ninja Princesses, Ghosts, and psychics)

But this isn't the only example... It is perplexing honestly. I mean there is "The more realistic something is, the more the lack of realism is pronounced" yet even on their own merits the less serious game manages to seem more plausible of the two.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89178 on: November 02, 2015, 08:18:31 pm »

Yet Trauma Team has a "Magic Virus" that is cured via "Magic Science"... They is trying to be the more grounded of the two (outside Super Heroes, Ninja Princesses, Ghosts, and psychics)

Yeah, somehow, I'm not sure the game that explicitly mentions magic, has ghosts, ninjas, psychics and superheroes is trying to be too close to reality.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89179 on: November 02, 2015, 08:20:39 pm »

I know Saint's Row jumped the realism ship long ago. I went back to SR2 to replay it after beating 4 and its DLCs. Was like a completely different game series.

I think I mentioned that before, actually. Game didn't age well either. Or maybe the PC version is just a bad port.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #89180 on: November 02, 2015, 08:25:01 pm »

Gotta admit, combat openings seemed to feel jrpg.  Its has RPG-like interface and functions.  i.e.  Attack, Skill, inv, flee.  Damage is consistent.

being top down doesnt help
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 08:26:43 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89181 on: November 02, 2015, 08:46:31 pm »

Yeah, somehow, I'm not sure the game that explicitly mentions magic, has ghosts, ninjas, psychics and superheroes is trying to be too close to reality.

It doesn't explicitly mention magic. I am saying that the virus functions in such a way that it might as well be a magic virus and they cure it in such a way that they might as well have been using magic science.

They cure the virus by extracting antibodies from blood that has been absorbed by a flower at minimum two years ago, a antibody that they couldn't have retrieved from the perfectly intact body. That is Magical Science at its best.

As for the Virus... Well lets just say that it puts the bird flu to shame.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #89182 on: November 02, 2015, 08:59:24 pm »

wait mother 3 still hasn't been released overseas

the fuck

they released mother 1 and that game is just bad by today's standards, though the music is still completely amazing

oh wait does the mother 1 virtual console release use the "earth bound" translation that you can mostly only find illegally on the internet? if so, that would explain the fact that mother 1's out but not mother 3; they had a translation of mother 1 on hand
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:01:37 pm by Putnam »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89183 on: November 02, 2015, 09:08:21 pm »

they released mother 1 and that game is just bad by today's standards, though the music is still completely amazing

I don't quite think it is all that bad.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #89184 on: November 02, 2015, 09:19:19 pm »

I think I mentioned that before, actually. Game didn't age well either. Or maybe the PC version is just a bad port.

It was an atrocious port, even back in the day. I remember pirating it and it being so fucked up I gave up on it within 20 minutes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89185 on: November 02, 2015, 09:28:19 pm »

I'm honestly not sure WHY they still tack on single player.
COD: Modern Warfare 3 is actually a decent, if very linear and cinematic, experience.  I had fun watching my brother play pretty much the whole thing.  Haven't seen Black Ops and stuff though.
I enjoyed Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for the same reason.  Gameplay was pretty trite, but it was like watching the Expendables or something.  Reasonably fun, and with interactivity and much more length.

I really don't like the multiplayer communities, and I flat out hate Halo's multiplayer.  I love the Halo universe (since it's connected and tastes like Marathon) but all people tend to care about is the meaningless multiplayer brawling.
Whereas Unreal had a lot of potential, but the series became Unreal Tournament.  Except for Unreal 2 which was all over the place, basically unrelated to Unreal 1.  (and with a particularly ridiculous Tits Mcgee)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:32:30 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89186 on: November 02, 2015, 09:33:50 pm »

idk, I would never have played COD if it was multi-player only, and I can't be the only one. As said above the campaign can be "cinematic", in a way you're just not going to get in a deathmatch game.

Sure they could go multiplayer only and reduce the cost of development a little, but If single player and multiplayer are as distinct as people say, then they're effective creating two games for substationally less cost and risk of developing them separately, and they're able to leverage the same marketing budget to reach out to the two disctinct market segments at the same time. Otherwise people who would normally buy a single-player shooter are being exposed to the same advertising but they'd be going "meh, COD's multiplayer only". Basically anyone who plays games primarily for the story wouldn't buy your multiplayer only game, because those are all grind and no narrative.

Going off data, it looks like about 1/3rd of all playstation owners finish the campaigns in COD. We could say "meh only 1/3rd", but that translates to "50% more sales if you have a singleplayer option", which is of course an absolutely massive profit boost for a AAA game with a budget like COD. Only 1/3rd of players never touch the campaign at all, and the completion rate is almost identical to single-player only FPS's such as BioShock. That shows that single-player COD is alive and well. Probably, talking to the people who play online you get a massively biased sample of players.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:04:32 pm by Reelya »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #89187 on: November 02, 2015, 09:43:03 pm »

I don't quite think it is all that bad.

Not all bad, sure, but the encounter rate is way too high and the last area is pretty friggin unpolished.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89188 on: November 02, 2015, 10:14:12 pm »

Personally I quite enjoy CoD's gameplay, more than any of its competitors (that are available on console, at least).
The maps in the last few games have been annoyingly bad, but it still has an excellent loadout system and far better gunplay than Battlefield, in my opinion. But yeah, stuff like the weird exoskeleton business might have been better as a separate mode, rather than the entire game... it was kind of novel for a while, then it's just stupid.

Oh well at least it has hats.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89189 on: November 02, 2015, 10:32:54 pm »

I don't really mind it either, I just don't usually go for the arcade style of it. I'm not gonna go off on some rant about how ARMA is the best shooter in history and nothing else compares or someting, but there are better offerings, even among twitch shooters. I mostly play Insurgency and Red Orchestra nowadays, but Red Orchestra runs really badly on my computer for some reason.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 5944 5945 [5946] 5947 5948 ... 11037