Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471905 times)

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #8895 on: May 07, 2012, 02:15:48 pm »

I found a 5½ inch floppy in the woods today.
What was that thing doing there!? 0.o This is 2012, not 1985!
I dunno, maybe woodland creatures are finally learning computer science?
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #8896 on: May 07, 2012, 02:18:50 pm »

When I worked for the university's IT support back in the early 1990's, one of my friends had an old 8" floppy (1024K!) that he would use to screw with the new tech support folks. He'd run in, out of breath, and insist that his dissertation was on this disk and his computer had just died and PLEASE COULD THEY HELP HIM PRINT IT. Then sit back and watch their brains do gymnastics at the sight of this cartoony-large floppy disk that we had NO drives for.  :P

Hahaha, I remember those things. I had a few games on them, way back when. They were also quite aerodynamic.  :P

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8897 on: May 07, 2012, 02:21:35 pm »

On the other hands, floppies weren't really phased out, personally, until USBs were fully capable of taking there space and at an affordable price. And that wasn't until the mid-2000s at least.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8898 on: May 07, 2012, 02:23:49 pm »

Yep. Also, remember the abortive attempt that was 'ZIP' drives? Blech, I hated those things.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8899 on: May 07, 2012, 02:24:23 pm »

But large floppies were phased out a long, long time ago. I got my first computer in '94 and the only time I saw anything larger than a 3 1/2 floppy was in the old games box a friend of mine with a 386 had

Zip drives: they were quite successful back in the day, with no economical way to burn CDs, let alone rewrite them. It's doom was spelled by it's latter low-cost. But back then there was nothing else for large ammounts of data storage.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:26:10 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8900 on: May 07, 2012, 02:29:20 pm »

But large floppies were phased out a long, long time ago. I got my first computer in '94 and the only time I saw anything larger than a 3 1/2 floppy was in the old games box a friend of mine with a 386 had

Zip drives: they were quite successful back in the day, with no economical way to burn CDs, let alone rewrite them. It's doom was spelled by it's latter low-cost. But back then there was nothing else for large ammounts of data storage.

The first computer I had was something like this one (in fact this may be the exact same model, I can't remember for certain, but it looks awfully familiar):
http://pcmuseum.ca/details.asp?id=105

My next computer was another Tandy that had the new-fangled 3.5". That was exciting.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8901 on: May 07, 2012, 02:46:16 pm »

Yep. Also, remember the abortive attempt that was 'ZIP' drives? Blech, I hated those things.

Zip disks were popular for a while, and were requirements for many CAD classes. What was an abortive attempt were the ls-120 super disks that came out 3 years later.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8902 on: May 07, 2012, 02:57:14 pm »

Eating at Nando's on a Monday evening. Quite unusual really.

The couple on my right ordered a chicken burger with salad.

And proceeded to remove every last vegetable from their plate, and begin dumping it into a napkin. Bearing a distinctly *sharp* Cockney accent, one began dumping several vials worth of salt onto his sliced potato, whilst the other slathered her food in ketchup. At which her assumed partner asked her if she wanted some ketchup, and she said yes, and put ketchup on her ketchup.

The table on my left was empty, bar a jacket.

Until 1... 2... 3... No... 7 people. From a couple of just 2, that's a moderately large family for London.

And I wasn't just talking about the number of people in the family... Just saying their children probably shouldn't have taken up several tables on their own, nor should they have smelt like faeces and buckets of perfume in one. At one point one of the corpulent girls was arguing with her disproportionately measured mother over her justification of mixing Chillies, Yoghurt and Fanta into one soup/drink/pudding?

Note to self. Stick to restaurants on the weekends. Mondays are weird. And those guys might want to check out the shape of their hearts...

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8903 on: May 07, 2012, 03:01:36 pm »

Eating at Nando's on a Monday evening. Quite unusual really.

The couple on my right ordered a chicken burger with salad.

And proceeded to remove every last vegetable from their plate, and begin dumping it into a napkin. Bearing a distinctly *sharp* Cockney accent, one began dumping several vials worth of salt onto his sliced potato, whilst the other slathered her food in ketchup. At which her assumed partner asked her if she wanted some ketchup, and she said yes, and put ketchup on her ketchup.

The table on my left was empty, bar a jacket.

Until 1... 2... 3... No... 7 people. From a couple of just 2, that's a moderately large family for London.

And I wasn't just talking about the number of people in the family... Just saying their children probably shouldn't have taken up several tables on their own, nor should they have smelt like faeces and buckets of perfume in one. At one point one of the corpulent girls was arguing with her disproportionately measured mother over her justification of mixing Chillies, Yoghurt and Fanta into one soup/drink/pudding?

Note to self. Stick to restaurants on the weekends. Mondays are weird. And those guys might want to check out the shape of their hearts...
0.o Huh.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8904 on: May 07, 2012, 03:02:34 pm »

My brother is gay.

There is of course nothing wrong with that, but it was still quite a shock.

It does explain his lack of girlfriends though :P.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:04:06 pm by Dutchling »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8905 on: May 07, 2012, 03:04:04 pm »

... And you never noticed?

Damn, if my brother was to come out like that... All those gay jokes would suddenly stop being funny. That'd suck.  ::)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8906 on: May 07, 2012, 03:05:05 pm »

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8907 on: May 07, 2012, 03:06:16 pm »

I liked those. They were useful while they lasted...
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8908 on: May 07, 2012, 03:06:40 pm »

Well, he's just my brother. Nothing gay or hetero about him (for me) actually. He's all science and games.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:10:11 pm by Dutchling »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8909 on: May 07, 2012, 03:10:33 pm »

... And you never noticed?

Damn, if my brother was to come out like that... All those gay jokes would suddenly stop being funny. That'd suck.  ::)
Well it give him reason to make some hetero jokes.
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 11037