Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5844 5845 [5846] 5847 5848 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471314 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #87675 on: October 13, 2015, 08:18:53 pm »

I don't think even Canada cares.

I've seen government sites and documents that still call the various aborigines 'Indians'. Most of the way through school they were referred to as Indians as well, much to the chagrin of native students.

I think I've learned more from a friend of mine in highschool about his peoples than from school itself.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87676 on: October 13, 2015, 08:19:37 pm »

But the Eskimo are Eskimo. And also happen to live in the majority of the landmass in the arctic circle. Defaulting to Inuit is a pretty America-centric view.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 08:23:19 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87677 on: October 13, 2015, 08:25:12 pm »

I've seen government sites and documents that still call the various aborigines 'Indians'. Most of the way through school they were referred to as Indians as well, much to the chagrin of native students.

I think I've learned more from a friend of mine in highschool about his peoples than from school itself.

AT LEAST in the defense of Government Sites and Documents...

The Native Canadians (who are a large and diverse groups that I'd be here forever if I named them individually) are STILL considered "Indians" under the "Indian Act".

So legally in legal language they are Indians.

Eskimos to my knowledge are legally Indians.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #87678 on: October 13, 2015, 08:31:44 pm »

But the Eskimo are Eskimo. And also happen to live in the majority of the landmass in the arctic circle. Defaulting to Inuit is a pretty America-centric view.
They're... not, really. The term was applied to the groups in question by outsiders, originally, and actually includes more than one people. They're eskimo like the cherokee or creek are indian, with a similar sentiment behind trying to get folks to start using a more accurate name.

There's been a bit of pressure to correct things on that front even outside the areas the peoples in question live in. At least as far as native <foo> (alaskan, canadian, american, etc.), if not actually using the appropriate cultural name. Not much, 'cause it's not like there's really too terribly many of them left, but some. Part of the general kind of very low key thing where folks try to be a little more respectful to the natives we committed various sorts of murder, ethnic cleansing, etc., against.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87679 on: October 13, 2015, 08:36:14 pm »

I'm a temp in Canada (Might move onto more permanent work) and I get 12.50 (9.60 USD) an hour for moving boxes from pallets onto a conveyor belt, with occasional stints to other warehouses, where more often than not it's a "Hey. Truck here? Yeah? Just gonna use a forklift? Don't need me? Okay, sign and I can go," and I get 50 bucks for showing up. :v (4 hour minimum payment)

Min. wage here is 11.25 CAD.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87680 on: October 13, 2015, 09:01:52 pm »

I'm a temp in Canada (Might move onto more permanent work) and I get 12.50 (9.60 USD) an hour for moving boxes from pallets onto a conveyor belt, with occasional stints to other warehouses, where more often than not it's a "Hey. Truck here? Yeah? Just gonna use a forklift? Don't need me? Okay, sign and I can go," and I get 50 bucks for showing up. :v (4 hour minimum payment)

Min. wage here is 11.25 CAD.
I like your job.  ;P
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #87681 on: October 13, 2015, 09:03:47 pm »

I am currently unemployed, but apparently traffic controllers get paid $25 per hour. It's very tempting.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #87682 on: October 13, 2015, 09:58:22 pm »

I keep looking at the happy thread and thinking it's the North Korea thread.

Argh. I can't say I'm a fan of the "thematic" happy thread titles.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #87683 on: October 13, 2015, 10:12:48 pm »

Someone in the factory is retiring. We are having more difficulty than I thought there would be in finding a replacement.

We ask for people who have experience using factory machines. More than a few people who have applied said that they have many years of experience. Then they act surprised when they discover that factory work involves manual labour, and nope the fuck out of the place.

There were also a few women who refused to take the job because there weren't enough other women working there. And one man who left because there weren't enough women there.
How common is this?

I've worked in a factory for half a year before, running the machines and doing a decent amount of manual work as well. I left because the working conditions were crap and I had a 45 minute commute.

How easy is it to get a job like that over there? What kind of pay does it give?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87684 on: October 14, 2015, 12:18:11 am »

~snip~

You'd be surprised how many people underestimate line work. People imagine loading stuff into a fixture, pushing buttons, while zoning out and listening to music all day. But in reality, you're going to be listening for audio cues and puttin' shit together by hand.

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #87685 on: October 14, 2015, 12:30:16 am »

So... does only Canada care about calling the Inuit... Inuit? and not Eskimo? (ignoring that not all "Eskimo" are Inuit but another group)
An old Finnish joke: Why don't polar bears eat Eskimos?
Spoiler: Answer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Explanation (click to show/hide)
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #87686 on: October 14, 2015, 12:51:15 am »

Later in December [2012], an SCP Foundation themed modification of the PC game "Minecraft" had been created, and was being distributed through the Minecraft forums. This in of itself was not an issue, but the mod was another case of improper licensing and attribution. The mod creators had claimed copyright over all the modifications resources, which was invalid due to the creative commons license.

haha minecraft modders

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #87687 on: October 14, 2015, 12:55:09 am »

Gotta copyright all yo mods!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #87688 on: October 14, 2015, 01:03:29 am »

My mod is under MIT license.

I'm so bad.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87689 on: October 14, 2015, 01:11:30 am »

They did a census CPS supplement survey (page 18 table 4) in 1995 asking American Indians whether they preferred the term "American Indian" or "Native American", and around 50% preferred "American Indian" while 37% preferred "Native American". I don't think a census survey like that has been done since. The term "American Indian" has been around for so long, and it's in so many treaties, old laws, and documents, that in many ways it makes more sense, with more people choosing to identify with it. Both are stupid terms, since "America" is an anachronism (though there isn't really any other valid word), and being called a "native" (at least in my opinion) has similar or worse connotations than the old geographical mistake of "Indian". "Native" also doesn't make any sense when you consider that anybody born in the US can call themselves a native as much as anyone else, but that doesn't make them a "Native" with a capital 'N'.

It's the same sort of PC malarkey that goes with whether "African American" or "Black" is better (and in that survey it incidentally also shows "Black" being favored) where I think people assume one term may be offensive when it isn't, and end up using a term that's in some ways worse. Not to discredit your personal experience with it though, my point is just that "American Indian" isn't considered racist by most, and is more often the preferred term.

Edit: Oh, you guys were talking about Canada.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:14:37 am by UrbanGiraffe »
Pages: 1 ... 5844 5845 [5846] 5847 5848 ... 11037