Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5839 5840 [5841] 5842 5843 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471322 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #87600 on: October 12, 2015, 11:57:46 pm »

Or so full of blood. Either way, good luck with that
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #87601 on: October 13, 2015, 12:35:14 am »

Students in Texas are protesting a new law that would force universities to allow students to bring concealed weapons to their classes. However, bringing a sex toy to class would still be punishable by law. Therefore, students are protesting by bringing sex toys to all their classes. The beautiful hash-tag is not...highly appropriate but the rhyme is beautiful so I suggest you read the article.

Don't see the logic behind people fearing that allowing concealed carry would "hamper free speech...for fear of being shot".

Shooting people who have different opinions is murder or attempted murder or at least assault with a deadly weapon and illegal. Kind of acts as a deterrent from impulsively shooting people because "oh ma gerd they have different beliefs".

I can understand the resistance in allowing a law that makes guns more prevalent in an area already known to be targets of shooting sprees. But the potential for armed civilians being able to defend themselves from a nutter with a gun on campus shouldn't be overlooked.

Eh, I'm just rambling.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #87602 on: October 13, 2015, 12:40:32 am »

okay let me just ask: how often do you see people get punched in the face for having different opinions?

Next, how often do you see people get stabbed with a compass and/or pencil for having different opinions?

Escalation of conflict is probably the worst part of allowing weaponry in class, but it's... uh, not really that common.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #87603 on: October 13, 2015, 01:00:02 am »

okay let me just ask: how often do you see people get punched in the face for having different opinions?

Next, how often do you see people get stabbed with a compass and/or pencil for having different opinions?

Escalation of conflict is probably the worst part of allowing weaponry in class, but it's... uh, not really that common.
Punched in face: literally never seen it in real life. It's reasonable to imagine it happening.

Stabbed by shiv: also literally never seen it in real life. Much less reasonable to imagine it happening.

As far as classroom discussions/debates go like what the article seemed to be referring, I haven't seen a discussion over a controversial topic get beyond "aggravated tone of voice" levels of aggression. I honestly can't see an individual getting so mad that they impulsively punch/stab/shoot someone in a classroom debate setting unless they already had some sort of mental issue with keeping their anger in check. In which case the cause of violence wasn't allowing guns on campus, but that an individual wasn't getting the mental health care they needed to capably function in society.

But I could just be naive and way too trusting of my fellow people having access to weaponry and following the law. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87604 on: October 13, 2015, 01:31:57 am »

It's not just ideological arguments. Having weapons in any confrontation is a threat of escalation. Remember that shooting in the university parking lot that happened a couple days ago? I'd lay dollars to donuts that that was a pretty normal argument that turned into a death and multiple injuries because someone had poor self-control and was allowed to carry on campus.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #87605 on: October 13, 2015, 01:53:32 am »

Governer Abbot, eh? I see he's wasted no time getting to a new place to make bad laws since being ousted from Australia.

But more importantly, #whataboutmyothergun?

Students in Texas are protesting a new law that would force universities to allow students to bring concealed weapons to their classes. However, bringing a sex toy to class would still be punishable by law. Therefore, students are protesting by bringing sex toys to all their classes. The beautiful hash-tag is not...highly appropriate but the rhyme is beautiful so I suggest you read the article.

Don't see the logic behind people fearing that allowing concealed carry would "hamper free speech...for fear of being shot".

Shooting people who have different opinions is murder or attempted murder or at least assault with a deadly weapon and illegal. Kind of acts as a deterrent from impulsively shooting people because "oh ma gerd they have different beliefs".

I can understand the resistance in allowing a law that makes guns more prevalent in an area already known to be targets of shooting sprees. But the potential for armed civilians being able to defend themselves from a nutter with a gun on campus shouldn't be overlooked.

Eh, I'm just rambling.

1. Actual chance of being shot is unrelated to concerns of discussion being stifled by presence of weapons.

2. The potential for students to bring guns us not overlooked as is, it just leaves it up to the institutions to decide. This law would force colleges to allow guns, thus overlooking the potential of going to a school that doesn't let people carry weapons.
Love, scriver~

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87606 on: October 13, 2015, 02:46:10 am »

Well, most of the recent mass murders in the US have been done in areas that did not allow people to carry weapons. Reduce the number of those areas, and you may reduce mass murders. The lunatics want easy targets, and they don't give a damn about the law. We can't let them have easy targets.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87607 on: October 13, 2015, 02:57:38 am »

Flaw in that logic. 30000 gun deaths per year is the cost for widespread guns in America. Adding more guns might reduce the number of "headline" killings where one guy kills 10-15 people, but you'll probably see a linear increase in total deaths as a result. Those headline killings aren't the bulk of the problem.

How many more guns would you have to add to eliminate the few "mass shootings" by ensuring everyone is armed, everywhere, all the time? You'd probably see total shootings skyrocket, but less "mass shootings". So you "win" even though more dead bodies on the street, right? At least you won't have to hear about it on the news, right?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 03:01:30 am by Reelya »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87608 on: October 13, 2015, 03:05:54 am »

On the other hand, very strict gun laws might prevent lunatics from getting weapons in the first place.

Besides, what ever happened to your precious freedom 'Murica? People are free not to go to schools where they ban carrying weapons around, but with this nobody is free to choose for a non-gun university.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87609 on: October 13, 2015, 03:16:04 am »

UGH! Creepy creepy statistics... Get them off me!

Goodness do statistics look a LOT different when you simply look at them from a different angle. For example Texas seems like it is doing mildly fine when it comes to suicide rates... If your over 30... under 30? #2 highest suicide rates.

Murder? Fine... unless your over the age of 44.

Texas seems to have a hate on for young people.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #87610 on: October 13, 2015, 03:34:44 am »

And now I know why my host mother has been so particular about not leaving crumbs...discovered a mouse running about my room this morning.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87611 on: October 13, 2015, 03:43:36 am »

And now I know why my host mother has been so particular about not leaving crumbs...discovered a mouse running about my room this morning.

Host mother? Is that some sort of genestealer thing?

And babby mouse, should go in the cutes thread.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87612 on: October 13, 2015, 03:57:21 am »

Leaving crumbs about? Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants!

Kidding aside, that's been my experience as well, staying in old places over in Europe which have been remodeled multiple times: you leave any trace of food out and the rodents will come sooner or later.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #87613 on: October 13, 2015, 04:06:56 am »

I had a mouse in my bedroom once. Bastard didn't want to leave and kept nomming on my bedsheets instead of that delicious piece of apple in the trap. Eventually managed to kill it, after about a week of constantly being woken up by mouse noises. Noisy little sod.

Host mother? Is that some sort of genestealer thing?
Probably means he's on some kind of exchange and staying with a host family.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #87614 on: October 13, 2015, 05:31:25 am »

This is why cats are great. Then you only get bloodstains.

Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 5839 5840 [5841] 5842 5843 ... 11037