Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5747 5748 [5749] 5750 5751 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14468718 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #86220 on: September 22, 2015, 02:48:50 pm »

Apparently I'm secretly terrible at reading? I've misread my schedule about five times today. I misread the times and locations of all my classes. Room 141 doesn't exist, but it was also never on my schedule...?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86221 on: September 22, 2015, 02:50:58 pm »

Hey, I actually used the Eilenberg-Mazur swindle in my bachelor's thesis! It's completely legit once you use other stuff than ordinary numbers, and in fact it is very useful in some places.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86222 on: September 22, 2015, 02:57:51 pm »

I looked it up, it's called Grandi's series. There are at least three proofs offered on this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandi%27s_series

Here's one easy to understand proof:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's the critical part, if that part works, the rest of the -1/12 proof is just basic arithmetic carried out on the different series.
It's not legal to "cancel out" things like that in an infinite series. (1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - ...) is both equal to zero and one, using that "cancel out" technique:
a) If you "cancel out" the first number with the second, the third with the fourth and so on, the sum becomes (1 - 1) + (1 - 1) + ... = 0.
b) If you cancel out the second number with the third, the fourth with the fifth and so on, the sum becomes 1 - (1 - 1) - (1 - 1) - ... = 1.

Since a series cannot be equal two different numbers, it becomes obvious that this "canceling out" technique breaks mathematics, a la division by zero (which can also be used to "prove" various fun equations like 1 = 2).

EDIT: It seems that when they mean the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ces%C3%A0ro_summation when they say that it equals 1/2, which is kind of a different thing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:01:34 pm by Sergarr »
._.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86223 on: September 22, 2015, 03:01:44 pm »

Like I said, except less lazy.

Also bloody physicists of course it works for them. Boo, physicists, boo.
One wheel short of a wagon

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86224 on: September 22, 2015, 03:05:31 pm »

Ok goodness sometimes games, movies, and TVshows will give ANY excuse to have the police convict someone.

Watch the LP to the end and you will see why the detective is a friendly duchebag.
Also the game was made in poland by poles shortly after the courtain fell... and poles don't really know much about merica. Especially 50's merica.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #86225 on: September 22, 2015, 03:36:16 pm »

Look, I had to make a joke out of it somehow, otherwise I'd finish writing my essay. Also, I do personally believe it's pretty annoying that the base 10 system had to go and kill other bases off completely, especially our numerology.

No offense meant to intercultural comms people. In England, everyone has to do subjects the government percieves as "real", and it's crap :( so I may have satirized it carelessly.
No, no...that was legit praise. I had an intercultural communications course in grad school, and that was a pretty spot-on parody.

Ok goodness sometimes games, movies, and TVshows will give ANY excuse to have the police convict someone.

Reading this Jack Orlando letsplay and the main character was found knocked out infront of a dead guy who was shot through the stomach... So the game implies that if Jack doesn't catch the criminal in two days, that he will go to jail for sure.

Really game? Really? He was found unconscious in a back alley, without any weapons. With a guy he had no connection through. A guy who was shot without any struggle at point blank range in the front... AND there is more then enough evidence to suggest a third person at the crime scene... and that is enough to convict him? Sure that might be enough to bring him in for questions but no, the game doesn't even do that he sees the detective and he goes "Yeah, I know you didn't do it. Solve the case for me and your free to go. Don't and you will go to jail"

It is bad enough that the game is terribly anachronistic since it takes place pretty much immediately after prohibition... Yet weight watchers exists in this universe... and segregation never existed either in the 1910s in here as well. Static Dusters (AKA Synthetic Duster) also exists.

I wish that game was the exception. Yet often I am more surprised when police are reasonable about coincidences.
Is Jack black? Cause then that's totes realistic.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #86226 on: September 22, 2015, 03:37:13 pm »

The recent imgur weirdness seems to have reached my avatar. It seems to flicker between itself and the "does not exist" placeholder image randomly. Is anyone else getting this?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #86227 on: September 22, 2015, 03:38:10 pm »

My avatar died :(
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #86228 on: September 22, 2015, 03:39:24 pm »

No it hasn't. I can see it.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86229 on: September 22, 2015, 03:41:23 pm »

The recent imgur weirdness seems to have reached my avatar. It seems to flicker between itself and the "does not exist" placeholder image randomly. Is anyone else getting this?
I do. What the hell is going on.
._.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #86230 on: September 22, 2015, 03:44:13 pm »

IMGUR!

They're changing up a bunch of shit. Last night I was uploading photos and half of them would be uploaded but would display no picture.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86231 on: September 22, 2015, 03:44:53 pm »

Woo. NJW did something edgy but non-insensitive!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86232 on: September 22, 2015, 03:55:28 pm »

Mine died, too. :-\
Time to find a different site, methinks.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86233 on: September 22, 2015, 04:02:08 pm »

All the people with avatar problems...I can see them just fine.
And EnigmaticHat is still alive.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86234 on: September 22, 2015, 04:03:21 pm »

Yep, while yours is gone, Fish. If you ever had one.
Pages: 1 ... 5747 5748 [5749] 5750 5751 ... 11037