Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5690 5691 [5692] 5693 5694 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14440867 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85365 on: September 10, 2015, 07:59:57 pm »

the scp foundation created [DATA EXPUNGED]
Wow....SCP has gotten really stupid since the last time I was there.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85366 on: September 10, 2015, 08:03:19 pm »

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #85367 on: September 10, 2015, 08:09:41 pm »

I don't think I am worthy of my badass avatar.
I am way too freaked out and uncertain right now. Pretty sure if I tried to cackle it'd come out as a frightened squeak. :o

Thankfully, I can completely relate with my avatar.

all around me are familiar faces

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85368 on: September 10, 2015, 08:18:13 pm »

I don't think I am worthy of my badass avatar.
I am way too freaked out and uncertain right now. Pretty sure if I tried to cackle it'd come out as a frightened squeak. :o
Pff, I know I can't live up to mine.  I have no cat now and, despite my best efforts, I can't pull off a good dour.  At best disinterested, or constipated.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #85369 on: September 10, 2015, 08:40:20 pm »

RE: premise conversation

There is a rather long fantasy series (medium length by fantasy standards, huge by any other) that the author claims he wrote as part of a bet to end an internet argument.  The argument was about whether or not any premise could work with good writing.  He basically told the other person they could combine any two things and he would write a book about them.  (which I believe ended up being the lost Roman legion and Pokemon)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85370 on: September 10, 2015, 08:42:31 pm »

34 posts back, EH. You got ninja'd pretty hard :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85371 on: September 10, 2015, 08:44:01 pm »

I want to check this but the way the forum handles page numbers makes it difficult.  Gimme a sec...

Edit: hahahahaha same author different series

Double edit: also I was at work when that was posted, how do you expect me to keep track of this shit :P
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:46:40 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #85372 on: September 10, 2015, 08:49:30 pm »

Plenty of places, but they tend to implode and die in fairly short order.

More seriously, if you're feeling like that, the appropriate thing to do is not to discuss it here, but just go. Maybe go ask on /b/ if there's anywhere online that's like it but uses different forum software.
You callin Gunner-chan inappropriate? :P

If you're looking to discuss current events and things, something anonymous like 4chan or threaded like Reddit is better than this type of forum.  This type is both hard to navigate, and breeds name-recognition and shouting down of dissenting opinions.  Yes, even more so than Reddit ::)

This is my WTF for the day.

I still don't understand how you could consider Simple Machines forums hard to navigate but not Reddit or 4Chan. Everything's neat and organized here, whereas Reddit and 4Chan both appear to consist of disjo8nted posts in seemingly random order, They don't even seem to be organized into threads. Hell, reddit doesn't even seen to be a forum at all, as far as I can discern it appears to be just a disjointed collection of links to shitty third-party articles.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:51:37 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #85373 on: September 10, 2015, 09:08:55 pm »

Plenty of places, but they tend to implode and die in fairly short order.

More seriously, if you're feeling like that, the appropriate thing to do is not to discuss it here, but just go. Maybe go ask on /b/ if there's anywhere online that's like it but uses different forum software.
You callin Gunner-chan inappropriate? :P

If you're looking to discuss current events and things, something anonymous like 4chan or threaded like Reddit is better than this type of forum.  This type is both hard to navigate, and breeds name-recognition and shouting down of dissenting opinions.  Yes, even more so than Reddit ::)

This is my WTF for the day.

I still don't understand how you could consider Simple Machines forums hard to navigate but not Reddit or 4Chan. Everything's neat and organized here, whereas Reddit and 4Chan both appear to consist of disjo8nted posts in seemingly random order, They don't even seem to be organized into threads. Hell, reddit doesn't even seen to be a forum at all, as far as I can discern it appears to be just a disjointed collection of links to shitty third-party articles.

4Chan uses anonymity in conjunction with threads that appear at different parts of the day depending on popularity. It's a service which you hop on, discuss, and close while pissy and stuffed with carbonated drinks. It's a home for discussions, but not prolonged ones.

I have no idea what Reddit does.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85374 on: September 10, 2015, 09:10:20 pm »

shadowbans and bans and more bans

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85375 on: September 10, 2015, 09:12:24 pm »

Reddit's design causes it to be the echo-est of echo chambers.  It self-censors because anything that the majority of users on that particular subreddit disagree with gets shoved out of sight while whatever the most people agree with get pushed to the top.  Its intended function is separating good content from bad, but it also serves to separate "good" opinions from "bad" opinions and that's, you know, not the best.

The only thing that really makes B12 into an echo chamber is the fact that there are so many similar people here.  There's a type for the upper forums and a type for the lower forums and it becomes even more specific with each board.  Dissenting opinions tend to get forced down because if one person disagrees with something there's a good chance a lot of people do and they're all going to post about it at the same time.  Nothing inherent to the forum design though.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85376 on: September 10, 2015, 09:14:48 pm »

Not looking to make a big discussion of this, but...  Fakedit: Well, that was more verbose than I expected.  But please don't read any malice into it, I enjoyed writing it.

4chan:  Each posts shows all replies, and what it's replying to.  Mousing over any of these links shows the reply/original post.  Clicking brings you there, without refreshing the page.  New posts can appear automatically if you choose.
The anonymity is what I like about it, but frankly the post system is better too.  Doesn't support BBCode, which is a downside, but not one that hampers discussion a lot.  Quote pyramids are impossible but also unnecessary.

Reddit: Discussion is threaded...  This is a good thing, conducive to actual discussion.  Having a back-and-forth with someone doesn't spam the topic like on this forum, because it's all kept in a thread.  If someone does want to follow that thread, it's laid out seamlessly for them.  If it's interesting enough to get a lot of votes, it'll be near the top.

To follow a discussion on forum software like this, one must manually scan through intervening posts and try to parse who's talking to who.  I feel like that encourages ignoring those intervening posts, which leads to counterproductive things.  For example, taking the time to write up a proper reply...  Only to find there have been a dozen replies as the discussion heated up.  On Reddit or 4chan, that reply will be easily reached from the post you had in mind.  On this forum, it gets dropped into the middle of a heated debate which has moved on and possibly spiraled.

And if the debate has spiraled into unpleasantness, as everyone types shorter and shorter posts to get their voices heard in the increasingly fast thread, your thoughtful post is likely going to get deleted along with the rest.  It's certainly not going to get the attention it deserves, because it's in a place nobody has time to look.  It cannot be reached from the post you replied to.  The person you're addressing receives no notification.  See, there are problems with this.

shadowbans and bans and more bans
There's no notification when your posts here are deleted.  Not exactly the same thing, but yeah.  And if the mods in a subreddit are bad, anyone can create another.  Which results in a lot of echo-chamber subreddits, and some actual discussion ones.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85377 on: September 10, 2015, 09:35:22 pm »

Reddit: Discussion is threaded...  This is a good thing, conducive to actual discussion.  Having a back-and-forth with someone doesn't spam the topic like on this forum, because it's all kept in a thread.  If someone does want to follow that thread, it's laid out seamlessly for them.  If it's interesting enough to get a lot of votes, it'll be near the top.
If it's popular enough to get a lot of votes - not interesting, it'll be near the top. And its layout isn't seamless, it's a trainwreck.

To follow a discussion on forum software like this, one must manually scan through intervening posts and try to parse who's talking to who.
That's why we have quotes, and this isn't even a problem without quotes.

I feel like that encourages ignoring those intervening posts, which leads to counterproductive things.  For example, taking the time to write up a proper reply...  Only to find there have been a dozen replies as the discussion heated up.  On Reddit or 4chan, that reply will be easily reached from the post you had in mind.  On this forum, it gets dropped into the middle of a heated debate which has moved on and possibly spiraled.
The situation is exactly the same with reddit and 4chan, you can try post some shit after everyone's already moved on

There's no notification when your posts here are deleted.
Other than Toady, who rarely deletes anything anyways

Not exactly the same thing, but yeah.  And if the mods in a subreddit are bad, anyone can create another.  Which results in a lot of echo-chamber subreddits, and some actual discussion ones.
Not the same thing at all because you get bollocks where mods infiltrate other suboards to coopt them and guide the narratives. Add to that the ebin upboat system which encourages everyone to push each other in the "correct" direction and you've got a massive, massive echo chamber. Worse still, one that appeals to the lowest common denominator, mass appeal and fosters some pretty creepy groupthink. And it's not like Redditors even try to have diverse opinions, they're all about fucking the free market of ideas - creating an echo chamber in response to an echo chamber does nothing for anyone.
I'm reminded of when the redditors got banned en masse from reddit and fled to fullchan (since the cuckening left 4chan a withered husk), where all the Anons were not surprised at all to find the redditors were being absolute dunces with zero self awareness banning everyone en masse on their containment board because they couldn't handle all the nazi jewish liberal authoritarian commies. The system breeds the echo chamber but also a cultural yearning to create echo chambers even in outside systems. I'm also reminded of that one hilarious Jewish guy talking about how on reddit with thousands of posts in a thread specifically asking for anyone who was against gay marriage to voice their opinion there were thousands and thousands of posts and none were from anyone opposed to gay marriage, because they didn't exist. It's pretty much a running joke on the chins where you ask reddit "how do you defend x" or "how do you oppose x" and just watch page after page of deleted comments accrue.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85378 on: September 10, 2015, 10:06:27 pm »

If it's popular enough to get a lot of votes - not interesting, it'll be near the top. And its layout isn't seamless, it's a trainwreck.
See, that's not actually true.  I checked just now to be sure, and sure enough, first article I clicked on had threads out of vote-order.

I don't actually post on Reddit yet, but the way it was described to me is that it seems to factor in upvotes and downvotes.  IE, downvotes may help a thread get seen.  It's about whether a popular conversation is going on.
There's even a link on the main page for "controversial" threads, where I presume upvotes are weighted even less.

To follow a discussion on forum software like this, one must manually scan through intervening posts and try to parse who's talking to who.
That's why we have quotes, and this isn't even a problem without quotes.
Right, quotes.  To quote your message as more than an unreadable mass of text, I have copy-pasted a line of BBCode and am manually typing /quote.  For each interjection I make.

Why isn't it a problem?  It's a very basic use case - read a controversial post, try to find a reply.  On this forum that involves glancing over other posts, looking for an avatar or username, sometimes on multiple pages.  On Reddit the replies are literally right there.  On 4chan they're a mouse-hover and/or click away.

I feel like that encourages ignoring those intervening posts, which leads to counterproductive things.  For example, taking the time to write up a proper reply...  Only to find there have been a dozen replies as the discussion heated up.  On Reddit or 4chan, that reply will be easily reached from the post you had in mind.  On this forum, it gets dropped into the middle of a heated debate which has moved on and possibly spiraled.
The situation is exactly the same with reddit and 4chan, you can try post some shit after everyone's already moved on
The person you're replying to will see it.  And anybody else can very easily see the post you're replying to - without having to fill the screen with duplicated text, as we do here.  Basic UI.

There's no notification when your posts here are deleted.
Other than Toady, who rarely deletes anything anyways
Uh?  Toady usually posts a nebulous notification that something was deleted, yeah.  But there's no notification that my post was deleted.  All the posts vanish, and it's pretty much forbidden to discuss what was deleted.
And it's super easy to get a conversation deleted...  It's only rare because people learn to avoid rocking the boat.  The serious discussion threads get pruned with regularity, and are living on borrowed time in my opinion.
Of course there's no record of any of that, even for people whose posts were deleted.  I know I've seen a Toady post and been unsure whether one of my posts was deleted.
I'm not sure any of that is bad, but it's really weird.  Normal forum moderators leave a record of that stuff.  They also have time to do so with, though.
  Not exactly the same thing, but yeah.  And if the mods in a subreddit are bad, anyone can create another.  Which results in a lot of echo-chamber subreddits, and some actual discussion ones.
Not the same thing at all because you get bollocks where mods infiltrate other suboards to coopt them and guide the narratives. Add to that the ebin upboat system which encourages everyone to push each other in the "correct" direction and you've got a massive, massive echo chamber. Worse still, one that appeals to the lowest common denominator, mass appeal and fosters some pretty creepy groupthink. And it's not like Redditors even try to have diverse opinions, they're all about fucking the free market of ideas - creating an echo chamber in response to an echo chamber does nothing for anyone.
I'm reminded of when the redditors got banned en masse from reddit and fled to fullchan (since the cuckening left 4chan a withered husk), where all the Anons were not surprised at all to find the redditors were being absolute dunces with zero self awareness banning everyone en masse on their containment board because they couldn't handle all the nazi jewish liberal authoritarian commies. The system breeds the echo chamber but also a cultural yearning to create echo chambers even in outside systems. I'm also reminded of that one hilarious Jewish guy talking about how on reddit with thousands of posts in a thread specifically asking for anyone who was against gay marriage to voice their opinion there were thousands and thousands of posts and none were from anyone opposed to gay marriage, because they didn't exist. It's pretty much a running joke on the chins where you ask reddit "how do you defend x" or "how do you oppose x" and just watch page after page of deleted comments accrue.
I'm still admitting that there are a lot of echo chamber subreddits
That is not a thing I stopped saying...
But who cares about them?  They're pointless, gross, maybe even fun.

What you seem to be implying is that there aren't useful discussion subreddits, that the voting system makes them impossible.  But I think you know that's not true.
It's like saying "/tg/ sucks, just look at /b/"!  Doesn't follow.

Edit:  And this is definitely at that length where almost everyone will skim, sigh, and maybe someone will suggest "take it to PMs".  Because this is a bad way to have a discussion, and it's clogging up the topic.  Threaded systems solve this problem.
Heck, when I edit this, it'll make the thread reappear for everyone in their "unread replies" queue.  A queue which it's impossible to remove entries from, incidentally.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:08:36 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85379 on: September 10, 2015, 10:24:54 pm »

[snip for anti-torture devices]
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 5690 5691 [5692] 5693 5694 ... 11040