Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5655 5656 [5657] 5658 5659 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14446642 times)

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #84840 on: September 06, 2015, 07:35:54 pm »

@T, "Charlie Sheen taking the alcoholics anonymous pledge" may be the finest analogy I've ever seen. I bask in your wisdom.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84841 on: September 06, 2015, 07:56:43 pm »

On an email, in the header:
[Message Contain Objectionable Language]
Message did not contain objectionable language.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84842 on: September 06, 2015, 09:08:40 pm »

Maybe the author finds English objectionable?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84843 on: September 06, 2015, 09:33:32 pm »

All my fellow students with Monday English classes wish they had the day off. I also with I had it off, since I need more time to work on this essay. So far I have... seven words done. Seven is a lucky number, right?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #84844 on: September 06, 2015, 09:47:39 pm »

All my fellow students with Monday English classes wish they had the day off. I also with I had it off, since I need more time to work on this essay. So far I have... seven words done. Seven is a lucky number, right?
Depends on the words. "I cannot find words to describe this." might work.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #84845 on: September 06, 2015, 09:50:24 pm »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84846 on: September 07, 2015, 01:17:35 am »

Zombo.com

WTF

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84847 on: September 07, 2015, 01:40:08 am »

Everything is possible.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #84848 on: September 07, 2015, 02:08:28 am »

I always knew Lyndon LaRouche was kind of fringe...but holy fucking shit.

This guy is like real-life Liberal Crime Squad, complete with armed gangs, torture/brainwashing sessions, incoherent conspiracy theories and using music to try and change people's ideologies.

He recorded sessions with a 26-year-old British member, Chris White, who had moved to England with LaRouche's former partner, Carol Schnitzer. In December 1973 LaRouche asked the couple to return to the U.S. His followers sent tapes of the subsequent sessions with White to The New York Times as evidence of an assassination plot. According to the Times, "[t]here are sounds of weeping, and vomiting on the tapes, and Mr. White complains of being deprived of sleep, food and cigarettes. At one point someone says 'raise the voltage,' but (LaRouche) says this was associated with the bright lights used in the questioning rather than an electric shock." The Times wrote, "Mr. White complains of a terrible pain in his arm, then LaRouche can be heard saying, 'That's not real. That's in the program'." LaRouche told the newspaper White had been "reduced to an eight-cycle infinite loop with look-up table, with homosexual bestiality." He said White had not been harmed and that a physician—a LaRouche movement member—had been present throughout. White ended up telling LaRouche he had been programmed by the CIA and British intelligence to set up LaRouche for assassination by Cuban exile frogmen.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84849 on: September 07, 2015, 02:16:58 am »

Oh man, I remember when some of his followers set up a booth at my college. I liked a couple of his ideas (high-speed rail, maybe), but the rest just seemed kinda out there. He was anti-video game as well, IIRC :/
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #84850 on: September 07, 2015, 04:13:28 am »

Never trust a man called "LaRouche".
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84851 on: September 07, 2015, 05:15:26 am »

Goodness

Honestly I am starting to want to beat up the first person to ever spout the term "Magic Versus Technology"

Since the more I see it, the more I notice that it relies ENTIRELY on connotations that take place entirely outside the setting and otherwise makes absolutely no sense.

Watching this "Total Annihilation Kingdoms" Letsplay and the Creon are basically all Into technology and HATE magic. Yet they constantly spout on and on about how they destroy superstition and use logic.

Yet... here is kind of the thing
1) Magic in this setting is not an unknowable force, nor one that is learned strictly through some form of spiritualism. It is usually learned through academic study.
and
2) It isn't SUPERSTITION when these things are REAL!!! Dragons, Centaurs, and Merfolk are real living beings you can see with your eyes... This shouldn't be that hard.

It forces this whole theme of magic versus technology but it never establishes anything solid for this to work. HECK the factions aren't even inherently magical anyhow (well except two), the game pretty strongly establishes that only the nobility really have access to magic and even then the majority of their armies aren't even magical. People don't cook food with spells in this setting.

And no they aren't meant to be hypocrites, I am not missing some theme. They really are supposed to be these bastions of logic and destroyers of superstition...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:17:23 am by Neonivek »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84852 on: September 07, 2015, 05:20:12 am »

It can be fun if done right. Example: You have sorcerers, who are part of the ruling class and derive their power from the fact that for many vital applications magic is the only option. And you have non-magical, non-nobility people taking the first steps towards the industrial revolution and modern thought: Constructing machines, rationalizing production methods, maybe even introducing basic hygiene to the medical system... The conflict 'magic vs technology' then organically arises from the conflict 'nobility vs bourgeoisie'.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84853 on: September 07, 2015, 05:26:55 am »

Or vice-versa, with the bourgeoisie being the scientist and developers, while the poor rely on superstition and magical remedies, which actually work as its a fantasy setting, though the upper classes wish to industrialise and thus control the means of production/medicine/combat/etc. There's lots of good ways they could have done it.
One wheel short of a wagon

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #84854 on: September 07, 2015, 06:20:28 am »

The bourgeoisie would be the "poor" in Helgoland's example.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 5655 5656 [5657] 5658 5659 ... 11040