Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5642 5643 [5644] 5645 5646 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461973 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #84645 on: September 04, 2015, 11:17:27 am »

I honestly don't think that is true. It is just that the way that we teach computer courses are inherently flawed because they rely on ancient textbooks, programs, and what have you.
I don't have the imagination to think of another method of teaching it that won't rocket education fees throughout the USA.

Mostly it is because it is the computer illiterate teaching the computer illiterate.
And this is why. If the computer illiterate are the teachers and all of them need to learn a whole new subject in addition to all the faculty BS they are mandated to be proficient in I think the teaching will suffer horribly(solving nothing).

So either the method needs to be changed so the illiterate can teach proficiency(a silly idea with all of the changes between OS which also change over time) or a teacher with that exact specialization is required to teach proficiency. A teacher with that exact skill set required all over America in addition to all the other teachers already required.
In 40 years, we will have Windows 50 and iThing 20.   
By then, schools will only just begun teaching about how to do things on Windows 35 and how to use the leximobiusomniprintscanner 25k while the 70k version is out.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84646 on: September 04, 2015, 11:20:33 am »

After suddenly finding myself missing a LARGE chunk of money out of my account, and a bit of digging to find out whom I was still paying money to, Kaspersky Lab apparently, something I thought I had canceled AGES ago, drain of money there. Currently taking care of this problem so ITS not he WTF moment...

The WTF Moment is what I noticed while looking over the different things I have pending in my account balance. In checking a Steam Purchase I noticed this. I have edited the personal stuff out...

Apparently Commonwealth Bank Australia considers Steam to be a Restaurant or something...

Did you buy Restaurant Tycoon on steam?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:11:41 pm by Bouchart »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84647 on: September 04, 2015, 11:36:59 am »

No, no, microsoft has said they won't go past windows 10, and will only update that going on into the future. Or rebrand, I guess.

Either way, it won't be windows 50. It'll be a sentient windows 10 that forcibly installs itself into your brain, hollows out your essence, and turns you into the Nth billionth M$ fleshdrone, least of the worker caste.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #84648 on: September 04, 2015, 12:27:13 pm »

My tiny plan to defrag my hard drive and speed up my computer a little has become a massive endeavour which will be an all-nighter. Most of it can be done passively while I'm asleep, but why must the simplest things become so complicated when you look into them?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #84649 on: September 04, 2015, 12:45:49 pm »

No, no, microsoft has said they won't go past windows 10, and will only update that going on into the future. Or rebrand, I guess.

Either way, it won't be windows 50. It'll be a sentient windows 10 that forcibly installs itself into your brain, hollows out your essence, and turns you into the Nth billionth M$ fleshdrone, least of the worker caste.
Seriously? Surely, at that point, the sensible branding decision would be to just call it "Windows".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84650 on: September 04, 2015, 12:46:03 pm »

anyway today i learned samus is a transgender woman

who wants to have a nice, civilized debate about this
It's just Wu being a dumbass on wikipedia
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84651 on: September 04, 2015, 12:46:37 pm »

My tiny plan to defrag my hard drive and speed up my computer a little has become a massive endeavour which will be an all-nighter. Most of it can be done passively while I'm asleep, but why must the simplest things become so complicated when you look into them?
Murphy's Law Corollary #1:
If it looks simple, there will inevitably be something complicated underlying the perceived simpleness that makes it take longer than you expected.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #84652 on: September 04, 2015, 03:04:17 pm »

I'm troubleshooting my render farm at work, so I take a node, make it both a server and a render, and tell it to do a render job. It registers itself as both and connects, but then proceeds to warn me:

WARNING: You do not exist.

I wasn't expecting my render node to get existential on me. Also, it still won't render Maya projects.
goddammit skynet, you had one fucking job

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84653 on: September 04, 2015, 03:06:33 pm »

A huge spider just wandered through my door, stood stock still when it noticed me, then ran out again when I went to get a closer look at it.
Wot.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #84654 on: September 04, 2015, 03:30:40 pm »

A huge spider just wandered through my door, stood stock still when it noticed me, then ran out again when I went to get a closer look at it.
Wot.

w-will grak's sister notice me?

oh no its grak

baka you dont deserve me

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84655 on: September 04, 2015, 04:03:06 pm »

Oh hey, I found my first Chick tract at the courthouse today. I was starting to think that they weren't actually real :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84656 on: September 04, 2015, 04:12:12 pm »

Wot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84657 on: September 04, 2015, 04:47:56 pm »

Is that a Waffen SS spider? Honestly I now feel far less guilty about disrupting it from going to work.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84658 on: September 04, 2015, 04:54:56 pm »

It's an SSpider.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84659 on: September 04, 2015, 05:00:35 pm »

When I got home, my mother mentions I got mail, and that my stepdad thought it was his(based on the fact the he did not bother to look at the name on it - mine - therefore it must be his) and opened it. Turns out it's the bill for originally setting up my internet - a bill I've already paid, and in fact had to have paid at least 24 hours before the install technician arrived to set it up.

I also bought a Slurpee from 7-Eleven. The label said lemonade. It was banana. The only saving grace is that banana Slurpees are good.

anyway today i learned samus is a transgender woman

Source?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 5642 5643 [5644] 5645 5646 ... 11040