Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5629 5630 [5631] 5632 5633 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14463092 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #84450 on: September 02, 2015, 07:31:24 am »

It's actually quite nice nowadays, it's amazing how quickly everything changed, I'd even use the word picturesque to describe it (there are still rough patches but eh, nothing's perfect)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84451 on: September 02, 2015, 07:37:40 am »

It's actually quite nice nowadays, it's amazing how quickly everything changed, I'd even use the word picturesque to describe it (there are still rough patches but eh, nothing's perfect)
Yay.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84452 on: September 02, 2015, 07:54:11 am »

If you get jumped by a bunch of muggers and you try to pull a gun on them, the probable result is that they'll end up making off with your wallet and your gun. That's how the black market maintains its supply of illegal weapons.
Only if you let them, if you have the gun you are clearly the one in control. It takes the time to raise your arm, not 10 minutes. That's a hell of a lot faster than the time it takes to do fancy martial arts or run away, and you end up leaving with your wallet.
... no, the one in control is the one already primed for violence with a weapon out. Which is one of the major reasons resistance is one of the faster ways to get yourself killed -- in the time you've pulled a gun, aimed, and fired (and that's assuming you hit, and the hit actually stops them), they've already put holes in you or beat you into the ground. The time to get the weapon unholstered, up, and pointed at the right thing, is all the time a mugger needs to put you down. Home invasions are roughly in the same place, with the added fun times of blue on blue incidents. Defend yourself if you feel like it's the appropriate option, but don't delude yourself into thinking it's the safer one.

S'not a matter of trust, it's a matter of who actually holds all the advantages in these kind of situations. And that's not the person being attacked, at all. As the numbers have pretty consistently shown, thinking the odds are improved if you fight back is how you increase the odds of becoming a statistic, and not a happy one. Folks are more than welcome to roll the stacked dice -- and they can come out ahead, of course, for all it's less likely -- but by the raw numbers of things, capitulation or escape is the path of least fatalities.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84453 on: September 02, 2015, 08:40:19 am »

I'm probably being a starry-eyed pollyanna again, but I firmly believe that your [plural you] current chances of getting mugged on a busy street in broad daylight are practically nil in any EU country, and hopefully in the U. S. as well. And what comes to walking alone on shady streets in the night-time, my preferred defence against getting robbed is to avoid carrying anything worth robbing. One night, when I was sitting shit-faced and half-passed-out on a bus stop, someone started rifling through my coat pockets – and found nothing except a few stray coins they didn't even bother to steal. I'll be more worried when the robbers' primary MO changes to "kill first, get wallet later," but our current society would have to utterly collapse before things get that bad.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #84454 on: September 02, 2015, 09:12:32 am »

Spoiler: spoiler for derail (click to show/hide)
I'll just leave this quote here from a British judge talking to two burglars stupid enough to try and break into a farmer's house:
"If you burgle a house in the country where the householder owns a legally held shotgun, that is the chance you take. You cannot come to court and ask for a lighter sentence because of it."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84455 on: September 02, 2015, 09:18:47 am »

Only if you let them, if you have the gun you are clearly the one in control. It takes the time to raise your arm, not 10 minutes. That's a hell of a lot faster than the time it takes to do fancy martial arts or run away, and you end up leaving with your wallet.
Sorry for the tight quote (I'm not trying to join the debate) but I don't think this is right.  There's a police education video which really stuck with me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo

In short, drawing a gun on someone within normal talking range is incredibly dangerous.  If they're ready to attack, you're getting attacked...  And these were trained police.

Wearing a gun prominently might dissuade potential attackers who want to avoid escalation, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #84456 on: September 02, 2015, 09:24:46 am »

Sorry for the tight quote (I'm not trying to join the debate) but I don't think this is right.  There's a police education video which really stuck with me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo
In short, drawing a gun on someone within normal talking range is incredibly dangerous.  If they're ready to attack, you're getting attacked...  And these were trained police.
Wearing a gun prominently might dissuade potential attackers who want to avoid escalation, though.
Hahahaha, terrifying stuff, though like I said if they're out to kill you and not just mug you that's different and they'll probably succeed if they're not incompetent

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84457 on: September 02, 2015, 09:36:14 am »

Why RtH:R has such an amazing soundtrack, for such a shitty game?
._.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84458 on: September 02, 2015, 11:55:59 am »

Why RtH:R has such an amazing soundtrack, for such a shitty game?

That game is wonderful in a Plan 9 sort of way.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #84459 on: September 02, 2015, 12:59:49 pm »

...is it strange that taking my ADD medication makes me a better writer/RPer? I would have expected it to be the opposite.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84460 on: September 02, 2015, 01:01:03 pm »

Not... really? Better focus and whatnot can help with writing et al.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #84461 on: September 02, 2015, 01:02:29 pm »

Doesn't ADD meds make you more focused? I remember when exams were still a thing for me people were taking ADD meds even though they had no ADD. I think I may be thinking of ADHD meds though.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84462 on: September 02, 2015, 01:19:19 pm »

ADHD and ADD are roughly the same. It's not even called ADD anymore, it's ADHD-PI or something.

Point is, yeah, they help you focus. I have to take one before I go to school. Spoilers: It fucking sucks and I hate taking them.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #84463 on: September 02, 2015, 01:21:18 pm »

yeah i remember them being pretty bad when i was on them

anyway

neither my brother's computer nor mine meet the minimum system requirements for Metal Gear Solid V

his graphics card isn't good enough and I don't have enough RAM

it works on both our computers anyway

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84464 on: September 02, 2015, 01:56:49 pm »

Apparently I scared someone enough for them to pull over the side and let me pass.  To be fair, I squeezed in behind him to take an exit and didn't really put more distance then tailgate mode the whole time.  >.>
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 5629 5630 [5631] 5632 5633 ... 11040