Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5587 5588 [5589] 5590 5591 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457424 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #83820 on: August 22, 2015, 07:45:17 pm »

... though note fair, that doesn't mean it will stop being terrifying. Probably less terrifying. But it's been approaching a decade now and driving is still pretty goddamn scary, personally. You do (hopefully) get better at it, and the shakes eventually (mostly) stop, but you're still performing what's probably the most deadly act you ever will in your lifetime short of die. Cheerful or fun it isn't, for some people. Others find it pleasing to put themselves and everyone around them's lives at risk, for some mad reason, but some, not so much.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #83821 on: August 22, 2015, 08:03:51 pm »

... though note fair, that doesn't mean it will stop being terrifying. Probably less terrifying. But it's been approaching a decade now and driving is still pretty goddamn scary, personally. You do (hopefully) get better at it, and the shakes eventually (mostly) stop, but you're still performing what's probably the most deadly act you ever will in your lifetime short of die. Cheerful or fun it isn't, for some people. Others find it pleasing to put themselves and everyone around them's lives at risk, for some mad reason, but some, not so much.
I'm not saying that there won't be terrifying moments, nah. But it's not a constant anxiety attack from the instant you start the car up either. Or I hope it's not like that for most people. That would be awful.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83822 on: August 22, 2015, 08:18:19 pm »

It took literally hours for the shaking to stop after I drove on my own the first time :V

... to be fair, the first time I drove on my own was a 3 hour, ~180 mile trip, with exactly one <20 minute driving lesson (that really wasn't one), maybe two short <30 minute trips with someone in the passenger seat, and pretty much zero explicit instruction before hand. I learned more about practical driving from mario kart than real world instruction before I got behind the wheel. Was not fun :P

Still not fun, and I mostly intend to kill myself if taking the lives of myself and everyone around me into my own hands ever becomes so, but yeah, the unpleasant parts do reduce in intensity given experience. Should, anyway. If it doesn't, you're probably going to need to move if you live in the US.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83824 on: August 22, 2015, 10:25:31 pm »

Driving is easy like others said stay in your lane unless you need to turn (and then for gods sake use your turn signal, oftentimes the difference between a safe and careful merge and cutting somebody off is the use of a turn signal).

Now merging onto a highway.  That's something else.  That's like terror incarnate, yer not going to get up to highway speed on that crappy little uphill onramp, and you only have a few hundred feet of onramp to work with before you are suddenly offroading at 80 mph.  Combine that with florida rush hour and may Gorgan the god of Asphalt have mercy on your soul as you become the nougaty center of a 30 semi truck pileup.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #83825 on: August 22, 2015, 10:26:54 pm »

Meanwhile in Egypt: student tortured for wearing an anti-torture t-shirt
I feel really bad for laughing at that.

Now merging onto a highway.  That's something else.  That's like terror incarnate, yer not going to get up to highway speed on that crappy little uphill onramp, and you only have a few hundred feet of onramp to work with before you are suddenly offroading at 80 mph.  Combine that with florida rush hour and may Gorgan the god of Asphalt have mercy on your soul as you become the nougaty center of a 30 semi truck pileup.
Do people not... y'know, move to let you in?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83826 on: August 22, 2015, 10:30:15 pm »

In my experience, hell no.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #83827 on: August 22, 2015, 10:45:47 pm »

Burned the hell out of my arms several times today working in the kitchen, but I still feel better than if I had been in drive thru. I would take physical pain over being in drive thru. That kinda weirds me out.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #83828 on: August 22, 2015, 11:53:32 pm »

Why do people buy over $900 worth of smokes all at once, and not place an order beforehand? And then pay for it by credit? Why do people pre-order only moderate quantities of energy drinks, then? Why do people want to use copious quantities of $1 bills, and change as 1/3 of a purchase' tender, despite having more than enough in larger denominations to cover it, and the other 2/3s of the value is being paid in those larger denominations? Can't they pay for $130 worth of smokes in a sensible fashion and spend those smaller bills on small purchases? And then people who buy a single soda want to pay for it with a $20, and somehow at the end of the day I have an enormous stack of 20s that won't fit in the register and a shortage of 1s. Why do customers show up in huge waves, with 10 minute intervals in between, over the course of four hours between shifts when we're understaffed, and then nobody shows up at all after help has arrived? Why do they get angry at me for this madness? Why!? WHY!?

Didnt get a single break today except to use the toilet once. So many people, we didn't have a chance to get much other work done besides serve them. @_@
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #83829 on: August 23, 2015, 01:07:02 am »

The more I try modding things that aren't dwarf fortress, the more I realize how ludicrously specialized I am towards mechanics programming.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #83830 on: August 23, 2015, 01:08:41 am »

Saw the April Fools episode of Steven Universe.

I am now going to spend the entire rest of my life pretending that didn't happen.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #83831 on: August 23, 2015, 01:10:31 am »

The more I try modding things that aren't dwarf fortress, the more I realize how ludicrously specialized I am towards mechanics programming.
That's a good kind of specialized!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #83832 on: August 23, 2015, 01:15:53 am »

i was about to whine more before i realized that there's a good possibility that i'm simply underestimating the difficulty of mechanics programming to people who don't know how to do it

i've somehow internalized the difficulty of what i do as "easy" and what i don't do but try anyway as "hard"

even though 3D modelling, animation etc. may actually be easier than what I do but I can't actually know because 1. i don't do those things and 2. comparing difficulty between such unrelated things is useless anyway

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #83833 on: August 23, 2015, 01:27:26 am »

even though 3D modelling, animation etc. may actually be easier than what I do but I can't actually know because 1. i don't do those things and 2. comparing difficulty between such unrelated things is useless anyway
If there's anything I've learned about game development, its that every facet of it is an infinitely deep well you can always learn more about.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #83834 on: August 23, 2015, 01:27:40 am »

Doing everything is hard.

i've somehow internalized the difficulty of what i do as "easy" and what i don't do but try anyway as "hard"
Yep, doing good at things you haven't done before is hard. Doing good at things you've done a lot and know really well is easier than doing things you've never done before but try anyway.

Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to do too many different things and should try to specialize more but there's so many cool things to try and be good at, y'know.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 5587 5588 [5589] 5590 5591 ... 11040