Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5333 5334 [5335] 5336 5337 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14454808 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #80010 on: June 28, 2015, 08:58:44 pm »

So I saw Mighty 6 today

And I have to say... It is probably one of the most flawed movies I ever seen that was still legitimately good.

I mean I predicted the rest of the movie half-way through... but here are the two biggest issues that buuuuuuuged the heck out of me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other parts were acceptable... namely the "Super hero clichés for the sake of clichés where the entire movie would have been solved in a day if any of the characters had a shred of intelligence"... In spite the fact that everyone had the idiotball surgically in place and several characters were superfluous...

I liked it. It was a movie bigger than its flaws.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:00:42 pm by Neonivek »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #80011 on: June 28, 2015, 09:00:03 pm »

So I saw Mighty 6 today

And I have to say... It is probably one of the most flawed movies I ever seen that was still legitimately good.

I mean I predicted the rest of the movie half-way through... but here are the two biggest issues that buuuuuuuged the heck out of me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other parts were acceptable... namely the "Super hero clichés for the sake of clichés where the entire movie would have been solved in a day if any of the characters had a shred of intelligence"... In spite the fact that everyone had the idiotball surgically in place and several characters were superfluous...

I liked it. It was a movie bigger than its flaws.
Nanomachines son

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #80012 on: June 28, 2015, 09:03:50 pm »

So next time I cook two slabs of beef I need to make sure I'm adding a happy little tree here and there Bob Ross style.  Got it :P

Not far off. You need to judge by the smell and sound of the down side, and the color of the up side. Keeping a look at the color of what comes out of the patty is also advisable.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80013 on: June 28, 2015, 09:08:03 pm »

So next time I cook two slabs of beef I need to make sure I'm adding a happy little tree here and there Bob Ross style.  Got it :P

Not far off. You need to judge by the smell and sound of the down side, and the color of the up side. Keeping a look at the color of what comes out of the patty is also advisable.
I'll be honest, every time I cook meat-slabs, I just judge by eye and feel how hot the pan is, plus listen to the sizzle as I drop the steak and that'll tell me how long something can be on.
I guess I cook by science, but it's more like I cook by ear. After a while those little tells become very intuitive.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #80014 on: June 29, 2015, 12:42:55 am »

Yep, that's why grandmas cook so tasty food. Artistic vision and adding a ton of butter and/or sugar to everything.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #80015 on: June 29, 2015, 04:51:52 am »

Now for the thing I actually came into this thread for.  I had burger cooking down to a science, what setting to put the stove on, exact timer settings between flips, everything.  What in the past has given me consistently delicious slightly crunchy well done burgers has just given me two rare-medium rare burgers.  WTF heat science, how can I remove all the variables and get vastly different results?
Thermodynamics is hard. Heat transfer works on a differential, and you don't have an ideal stove. Over time, the heat setting will be off a bit due to wear and tear and a minor difference means the time it takes to heat the meat will be off too even more - that's why you can't cook something twice as long by turning the heat down by half.

At least you're not baking. Ovens can get so discalibrated their temperature is off by 20*C in either direction.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80016 on: June 29, 2015, 05:05:55 am »

Now for the thing I actually came into this thread for.  I had burger cooking down to a science, what setting to put the stove on, exact timer settings between flips, everything.  What in the past has given me consistently delicious slightly crunchy well done burgers has just given me two rare-medium rare burgers.  WTF heat science, how can I remove all the variables and get vastly different results?

Cooking is not a science. Cooking is an art, and trying to do it purely mechanically will give unreliable results.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrkQL1bX4A
._.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #80017 on: June 29, 2015, 05:15:04 am »

I was about to say, I tried cooking a hot dog the other day. I did it exactly as I'd been shown countless times over many years of eating hot dogs. Somehow, I managed to completely blacken the outside while the core only ever got to room temperature.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #80018 on: June 29, 2015, 05:23:26 am »

I was about to say, I tried cooking a hot dog the other day. I did it exactly as I'd been shown countless times over many years of eating hot dogs. Somehow, I managed to completely blacken the outside while the core only ever got to room temperature.
Too high temperature. It takes time for heat to equalize between the outside and inside, if you heat it up more than it can move towards the core in the same time, all the excess heat stays on the outside and you get exactly that result.

That said, cooking at lower heat and ramping it up just before you stop cooking it for a short while will give you nice crispy outside and cooked inside.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #80019 on: June 29, 2015, 05:49:41 am »

Hot dogs are best cooked by steaming, in my opinion. Steam has an almost standard temperature which will cook them evenly, and it will keep the hot dogs nice and moist. Frying on a pan is better for thicker sausages, where lots of heat is actually necessary to cook them in a timely fashion.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80020 on: June 29, 2015, 07:10:37 am »

Religion thread is US politics.
Sad thread is religion.
This thread is cooking.

What is going on?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80021 on: June 29, 2015, 07:28:16 am »

US Politics thread is European economy.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80022 on: June 29, 2015, 07:44:54 am »

The forum has entered the twilight zone. I am now neonivek.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

jk
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80023 on: June 29, 2015, 07:58:19 am »

Religion thread is US politics.
Sad thread is religion.
This thread is cooking.

What is going on?
The cooking thread is still cooking though.
So at least the world isn't gone.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80024 on: June 29, 2015, 07:59:28 am »

I thought this thread was turning into the cooking thread now :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 5333 5334 [5335] 5336 5337 ... 11040