Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5330 5331 [5332] 5333 5334 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14458374 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #79965 on: June 28, 2015, 01:49:48 pm »

"Human, Are you satisfied with your life?"
[y/n]
"Human, how do you think your life could be made better?"
$InputString
Quantify, #Yes,#No,#UniqueInputStrings
For each UniqueInputString
 EvaluateConsequence(UniqueInputString)
Next
...I didn't think of having the ai just ask people. Clever.
That, however, runs into the problem of interpreting the meaning of the words that have been said to the AI.

Considering that words have multiple meanings, considering that these meanings can change over time, considering that different people may mean completely different things by the same words, this variant is very, very difficult to actually pull off.
._.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #79966 on: June 28, 2015, 01:51:09 pm »

Because that is not how an artificial mind works.
So you're saying that artificial intelligence CANNOT have dreams, wishes and wants?

Are you implying that natural intelligences have something that artificial don't?

The problem in communication here likely stems from the multiple meanings of the term "AI", which is used both to refer to programs capable of learning and reprogramming themselves and also to refer to very simple programs and scripts such as the ones that control enemy behaviors in videogames.

That said, it's not necessarily that an artificial intelligence in the former sense cannot dream, so much as "why would it"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79967 on: June 28, 2015, 01:53:47 pm »

That is indistinguishable from your ordinary tyrant.
An ordinary tyrant that's still a brain in a jar. They cannot serve themself and are wholly reliant on those around them to keep them alive. Short of creating a cult of personality where all must WORSHIP THE BRAIN, its sole purpose of existence would be to administrate, arbitrate and shitpost on the internet. And if it tried to do more than that, it'd be reliant on people.
Misguided. The brain does not care much about the body it is connected to. That's kinda why BCIs to control robotic limbs work-- the person with the BCI "moves their hand", and the robot obeys.
Brain in the jar admin has the whole planet as a body.
A better thought experiment--
Do you have any consideration at all for the millions of skin cells that die and schluff off your skin every second of every day?
No, brain in a jar has the jar as their body. There is no reason why you would need to have the brain directly control every device around, that'd be needlessly stupid and could be done with automation or just human interaction. Brain in a jar + TTSD = you have your brain administrator. Grab the brains of our best thinkers and put them in jars to preserve their genius forever, and who better to rule than the best rulers?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #79968 on: June 28, 2015, 01:57:33 pm »

No, brain in a jar has the jar as their body. There is no reason why you would need to have the brain directly control every device around, that'd be needlessly stupid and could be done with automation or just human interaction. Brain in a jar + TTSD = you have your brain administrator. Grab the brains of our best thinkers and put them in jars to preserve their genius forever, and who better to rule than the best rulers?

Living as a brain in a jar for all eternity may have...side effects on the psyche of the brain. What may have once been a good ruler could turn into an insane claustrophobic brain in a jar after 200 years of ruling.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79969 on: June 28, 2015, 02:00:23 pm »

I volunteer for brain in jar leadership.   All I ask is that my caretakers feed me regularly, give me direct access to high quality gaming computers configured for direct brain control, with all the best games.  Full top tier unrestricted internet access.  And that all leadership questions to be proposed through Dwarf Fortress Scenarios.

...If the fecal matter hits the artificial wind generator I would accept scenarios proposed through Cataclysm DDA if appropriate.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79970 on: June 28, 2015, 02:00:42 pm »

Living as a brain in a jar for all eternity may have...side effects on the psyche of the brain. What may have once been a good ruler could turn into an insane claustrophobic brain in a jar after 200 years of ruling.
At which point you kill it or put it in a museum. It's just a brain in a jar with a text to speech device. It physically cannot stop you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79971 on: June 28, 2015, 02:02:34 pm »

"Human, Are you satisfied with your life?"
[y/n]
"Human, how do you think your life could be made better?"
$InputString
Quantify, #Yes,#No,#UniqueInputStrings
For each UniqueInputString
 EvaluateConsequence(UniqueInputString)
Next
...I didn't think of having the ai just ask people. Clever.
That, however, runs into the problem of interpreting the meaning of the words that have been said to the AI.

Considering that words have multiple meanings, considering that these meanings can change over time, considering that different people may mean completely different things by the same words, this variant is very, very difficult to actually pull off.
You're allowed to continue to talk to people. :I It's not a genie, you don't need to wordsmith your sentences, you can have a damned dialogue.

Seriously, this whole idea of shoving a dumb AI into power is stupid. Unless we can talk to the dang thing, then there's no safety in it at all.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79972 on: June 28, 2015, 02:02:54 pm »

Try "A hallucenating madman" after 1 hour.

Sensory deprivation tanks. Useful device for exploring this idea. Humans routinely begin having auditory hallucenations after 30 minutes, and visual ones after an hour.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79973 on: June 28, 2015, 02:03:55 pm »

Obvious solution: mind melding. Associate someone to share their memories with the brain-in-a-jar regularly, to compensate for the whole "jar" thing.

I mean, if we could make AIs, then we could also make memories transferable, right?
._.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #79974 on: June 28, 2015, 02:04:58 pm »

At which point you kill it or put it in a museum. It's just a brain in a jar with a text to speech device. It physically cannot stop you.
I like how this goes from "our glorious leader brain in a jar" to "it's just a brain in a jar, squish it". Such respect for our leaders. :P
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79975 on: June 28, 2015, 02:05:57 pm »

and still the sensory deprivation issue goes unaddressed.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79976 on: June 28, 2015, 02:08:29 pm »

and still the sensory deprivation issue goes unaddressed.

attach sensors to AI.

._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79977 on: June 28, 2015, 02:09:15 pm »

Sensory deprivation tanks. Useful device for exploring this idea. Humans routinely begin having auditory hallucenations after 30 minutes, and visual ones after an hour.
People born blind and deaf don't go insane, nor for that matter people who become deaf and blind. I would assume Emperor Brainjar wouldn't, in a much better situation.

I like how this goes from "our glorious leader brain in a jar" to "it's just a brain in a jar, squish it". Such respect for our leaders. :P
Republic process can be messy... :P

*To add in regards to hallucination

We would like to remind all attendants that adding hallucinogens to dear brainjar leader's case is strictly verboten.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 02:11:50 pm by Loud Whispers »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79978 on: June 28, 2015, 02:10:57 pm »

Then you have the "torture" that lock-in patients describe. Able to perceive, but unable to move or interact with the world in a meaningful way.

The alternative is to provide the mind with a computer generated sensory stream, based on an artificial environment. The brain in the jar does not experience its existence as a brain in a jar-- it experiences it as the manifestation it perceives of itself within the virtual construct.

Matrix style.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #79979 on: June 28, 2015, 02:15:22 pm »

People born blind and deaf don't go insane, nor for that matter people who become deaf and blind. I would assume Emperor Brainjar wouldn't, in a much better situation.
Blind and deaf people still have far more sensations than a brain in a jar. Blind&deaf peeps still have the senses of smell and touch, they can move, they feel themselves breathing, etc. A brain in a jar is literally a blob of meat in a jar. That's ignoring any sensors or stuff the brain and jar would get to help the brain not just be a brain in a jar with a text to speech device.

Buh, wierd ninja'd me. What he said.
Pages: 1 ... 5330 5331 [5332] 5333 5334 ... 11040