Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5275 5276 [5277] 5278 5279 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485594 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #79140 on: June 17, 2015, 06:34:09 pm »

I was trying to install Windows 98 on a virtual machine to play SMARTSAVER 1000+ HOT GAMES and redeem a sweet AOL Online free trial, not understanding why the process wasn't going as the tutorial described. It turns out, the disk image I downloaded was a Win98 bootable disk... without the program that installs Windows 98. I don't understand how that happened or who would want such a thing, but I guess that's what I downloaded.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:35:52 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79141 on: June 17, 2015, 06:36:31 pm »

Wait... What did I just read?

Glad you were going to use a virtual machine for that, but... seriously?

(Win98 needs to be installed either on top of an existing version of windows, OR, via a dos prompt. A suitable solution for a virtual machine is to download a filed called "win98se.zip" (which contains all the appropriate CAB files and the dos installer) and a DOS 6.22 boot disk image. Unzip the pirate win98 installer package, push it into the hard disk image that you intend to use with the virtual machine with something like winimage, boot the virtual machine with the DOS boot disk, and launch the installer. Really, this is not hard. Again, I question though.... WHY?)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:40:33 pm by wierd »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #79142 on: June 17, 2015, 06:37:40 pm »

I was trying to install Windows 98 on a virtual machine to play SMARTSAVER 1000+ HOT GAMES and redeem a sweet AOL Online free trial, not understanding why the process wasn't going as the tutorial described. It turns out, the disk image I downloaded was a Win98 bootable disk... without the program that installs Windows 98. I don't understand how that happened or who would want such a thing, but I guess that's what I downloaded.
I don't know what to say to that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #79143 on: June 17, 2015, 06:44:03 pm »

(Win98 needs to be installed either on top of an existing version of windows, OR, via a dos prompt. A suitable solution for a virtual machine is to download a filed called "win98se.zip" (which contains all the appropriate CAB files and the dos installer) and a DOS 6.22 boot disk image. Unzip the pirate win98 installer package, push it into the hard disk image that you intend to use with the virtual machine with something like winimage, boot the virtual machine with the DOS boot disk, and launch the installer. Really, this is not hard. Again, I question though.... WHY?)

All Windows98 CDs can install on a blank hard drive - they're bootable. You only need to mess with boot disks on a system that cannot boot from CD.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79144 on: June 17, 2015, 06:45:41 pm »

"Hi, I am a mutant! Let's fuck!"

Witchers are sterile and immune to diseases.
It's why I still don't really get the 40k universe. I cannot see a possibility where a person with those specific quirks wouldn't be bangin' their way across the galaxy.
Although I can definitely understand why this doesn't make the hero all that relatable to you specifically.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #79145 on: June 17, 2015, 06:52:10 pm »

As for the why:

- So I can play 1000+ HOT GAMES, and also Myst which I picked up at the same time. Compatibility mode didn't work for either, and I at least want to see them.
- I've never used anything older than Windows XP, so I'm curious what it's like. I wonder if Win98 had bloatware? :P
- It seemed like fun.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79146 on: June 17, 2015, 06:55:42 pm »

The bootable CD versions just use a stripped down ElTorito floppy image, and start the windows setup from a dos prompt. It's basically the same as the method I described. You also get all the bloat thats on the CD that you dont need. The CABs package file is about 70mb. The bootable CD has shitloads of "unnecessary extras" packed in, making it over 300mb in size.

The added tedium is a nice trade for shorter download times, and faster deployment.

RE: Witcher

Uhm, not everyone is driven 100% by some hormonal cocktail produced by their gonads? Also, if their biochemistry is jacked with THAT much, then there is this thing called anaphylaxis that might make them think twice about banging people. (As in, the recipient of their amourous antics could suddenly be siezed with a lethal hystological reaction and die in terror. This is basically because her body would react strongly to his radically different biochemistry.)

But hey, dont let little things like that get in the way of your testosterone fueled fantasies.

RE: WHY?

Ok, that makes a bit of sense-- but the AOL Free Trial is over a decade out of date, and I seriously doubt that it would work out of a virtual machine anyway. I seriously hope you were putting that as pure comedic value.

A win98 install only needs about 380mb of disk space, including the cab files. A very small disk image in a virtual machine will more than suffice. However, I seem to think a game like Myst would (and probably should have been by now) be portable directly to HTML.  I'll see if it has.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 07:11:29 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79147 on: June 17, 2015, 07:17:55 pm »

Well there's my WTF,  Myst HASNT been ported directly to HTML5 yet.

Cmon, it just SCREAMS canvas element and image map to me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79148 on: June 17, 2015, 07:19:52 pm »

I am asexual. Make of that what you will. If I wanted flagrant sexual encouters, I would grab a Japanese "Dating Sim".
tfw you will never reproduce through mitosis and flood the world with clones

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #79149 on: June 17, 2015, 07:20:12 pm »

RE: WHY?

Ok, that makes a bit of sense-- but the AOL Free Trial is over a decade out of date, and I seriously doubt that it would work out of a virtual machine anyway. I seriously hope you were putting that as pure comedic value.

A win98 install only needs about 380mb of disk space, including the cab files. A very small disk image in a virtual machine will more than suffice. However, I seem to think a game like Myst would (and probably should have been by now) be portable directly to HTML.  I'll see if it has.

Yeah, I was joking about the AOL free trial.

As for the shareware/shovelware/whateverware disk, I got it mostly because of the archivist/historian in me. Chances are there's a few games on there that nobody remembers or cares about, and I think at least somebody should experience them. Kinda like historical reenactments, or an interactive museum exhibit. And sure, I could play a modern port or remake of Myst, but I don't even really like Myst that much- I just want to have the experience of playing it as close to the state it was in when it first came out. Short of buying an actual tower from the 90s with Windows 9x installed, a virtual machine seemed like my best bet.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #79150 on: June 17, 2015, 07:24:05 pm »

I am asexual. Make of that what you will. If I wanted flagrant sexual encouters, I would grab a Japanese "Dating Sim".
Well, you know what they say. Science, uh, uh, uh, finds a way.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79151 on: June 17, 2015, 07:30:19 pm »

I have enough statistically unlikely recessive gene mutations already. Adding autozomal cloning related defects via cloned offspring into the mix just does not sound at all desirable.

However, I HAVE often wondered about the prospects of genetic engineering on fast growing botanical species to produce a scifi horror artificial surrogate for animal zygote gestiation. (EG, think something like an egg plant growing on a really humungous kuzu vine, that has an adorable kitten gestating inside. Needs a huge plant to supply sufficient nutrient flow for the process though-- hence the use of kuzu vine or analogous plantlife. Kuzu is nitrogen fixating, so could concievably be able to supply sufficient protien.)

Total pipedream mind, but the idea is so radically silly, and yet might be possible, that I cant help but love it for all its nonsense.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #79152 on: June 17, 2015, 07:49:36 pm »

Well, you know what they say. Science, uh, uh, uh, finds a way.
Getting back on topic, I'm 90% sure I saw a dating sim about that a while back.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #79153 on: June 17, 2015, 07:52:02 pm »

Total pipedream mind, but the idea is so radically silly, and yet might be possible, that I cant help but love it for all its nonsense.
Yeah, it's a thought. Of course, let's be honest here, you'd probably see more use for that sort of biotech in the fetish field than you would actual critter creation (unless it's for extinct or endangered species, anyway). We've got (substantially) more kittens than we know what to do with already, heh. True for many species, that, really...

But no womb pods of debauchery. We don't have those. We would, in that scenario. There's definitely a market for it.

Getting back on topic, I'm 90% sure I saw a dating sim about that a while back.
About romancing a clone swarm?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79154 on: June 17, 2015, 07:54:42 pm »

However, I HAVE often wondered about the prospects of genetic engineering on fast growing botanical species to produce a scifi horror artificial surrogate for animal zygote gestiation. (EG, think something like an egg plant growing on a really humungous kuzu vine, that has an adorable kitten gestating inside. Needs a huge plant to supply sufficient nutrient flow for the process though-- hence the use of kuzu vine or analogous plantlife. Kuzu is nitrogen fixating, so could concievably be able to supply sufficient protien.)
The Vorkosigan Saga has something like that. There's a kitten tree at a biotech exhibition. And a dude picks a kitten off it and the kitten very quickly croaks. He then spends the rest of the tour trying to hide the dead kitten somewhere to avoid embarrassment, until somebody tries to blow him and his cousin up.

It's quite entertaining. /plug
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”
Pages: 1 ... 5275 5276 [5277] 5278 5279 ... 11037