Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5170 5171 [5172] 5173 5174 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14513498 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #77565 on: May 25, 2015, 11:07:10 pm »

True enough, at least it wasn't rapey or anything, but remember that the DM has 100% control of her and the other dude as well. Hmm... What if the Goddess's 'canon' personality would have objected?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77566 on: May 25, 2015, 11:08:55 pm »

Because wish fulfillment.

I don't think Sarenrae would be okay with that though. Goddess of healing, redemption, and the sun, and no mentions of anything remotely sexual in anything I've ever read.

Even ignoring the sexualization, the plot is riddled with enough holes to cause trypophobia.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77567 on: May 25, 2015, 11:09:48 pm »

That gets into meta territory, I, as a player, once lost a sparring match against Athena (in disguise, and my character knew nothing about the Greek pantheon), and ended up in bed with her.  You have to accept the gods as depicted, DM is final arbiter (tho' not necessarily a good arbiter.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #77568 on: May 25, 2015, 11:10:10 pm »

Devil's advocate--- Fingering the goddess may not actually be off limits, given the right context.  Is she a lascivious slut of a pleasure goddess, for example? 

Really, you cant interject sexual biases against religious practices, if you want to avoid having "McDeity" type pantheons.

But that's the kind of thing you leave to the player! I think you're interpreting my emphasis improperly. HE fingered HIS goddess. If you're following a goddess of carnel pleasure, sure, that kind of thing can happen, but it's something the players should be doing. If you want to do it, you give the players all the hints, you go for the strip tease thing and show that this goddess is fine with multitasking during exposition, but you let the players take it from there. You don't go the full monty and see how they react. RPGs are about choice, and the player has to make that critical choice for anything to matter.

Some decent ideas, perhaps, but that's kind of like saying that the blood spatter from jack the ripper's knife made some artistic patterns while he was butchering prostitutes.
In terms of non-objective modern art paintings, they would fit right in.

It's true. But at the end of the day someone has to clean up all the dead whores. A brief moment of artistic expression isn't worth it.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77569 on: May 25, 2015, 11:10:58 pm »

I wonder if Lady of Pain is going to get a BSDM make-up. Would make sense, considering the DM in question.
._.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #77570 on: May 25, 2015, 11:12:24 pm »

To be fair, Lady of Pain by itself as a word has heavy BDSM undertones. Still doesn't sound like a good idea, though.
The circle is complete.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77571 on: May 25, 2015, 11:13:15 pm »

Devil's advocate--- Fingering the goddess may not actually be off limits, given the right context.  Is she a lascivious slut of a pleasure goddess, for example? 

Really, you cant interject sexual biases against religious practices, if you want to avoid having "McDeity" type pantheons.

But that's the kind of thing you leave to the player! I think you're interpreting my emphasis improperly. HE fingered HIS goddess. If you're following a goddess of carnel pleasure, sure, that kind of thing can happen, but it's something the players should be doing. If you want to do it, you give the players all the hints, you go for the strip tease thing and show that this goddess is fine with multitasking during exposition, but you let the players take it from there. You don't go the full monty and see how they react. RPGs are about choice, and the player has to make that critical choice for anything to matter.

Now that I absolutely agree with, the DM should not be the one doing these things, it should fully be on the players to interact with the world, and that is why the whole thing is clearly insane, and Blackflyme's DM is Bad.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77572 on: May 25, 2015, 11:14:52 pm »

More devil's advocate:

Let's say that you want to create a religion in your campaign specifically intended to cause "squick", because it is a central pillar in your conflict structure that your protagonists are involved in.  Your protagonists do not need to engage in, believe in, worship, or in any other way partake in the religious devotionals of this deity. 

However, this deity is a neutrally aligned (Neither wholly good, nor wholly evil) goddess with spheres of influence governing motherhood, female sexuality, female powers of seduction (including how they can be used for intrigue and gaining hidden secrets through pillow talk, as well as a tool for political assassination), and a number of other things.  This goddess really gets off on sex. REALLY.  So much so, that her altars are stylized depictions of vagayjay, and part of the rituals of supplication involve pouring oils on the "clitoris" part of the altar, and giving it a good rubbing.  Such a religion is not outside the realm of plausibility, especially if the goddess really does give good boons to her worshipers, and grants some serious buffs for stealth type female characters.

They are involved in the plot structure as part of a religious angst by your more stereotypical puritan 'Good' religions, who consider this goddesses devotional rituals to be simply lewd displays of sickening filth, and other epithets-- and you may even throw in some defilers, who simply oogle and fondle all the statuary, which angers the goddess. (She wants to be WORSHIPED, not GROPED.)

Even if such a religion is not really central to the campaign itself, its presence in the setting can add some interesting colour to the setting, if used appropriately.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #77573 on: May 25, 2015, 11:17:28 pm »

Something like that? Kay, sure.

You're playing DA to a strawman though, (sort of).

That is COMPLETELY different to what Flyme's DM did.
The circle is complete.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77574 on: May 25, 2015, 11:24:25 pm »

I was just pointing out that "Fondling the goddess", and even having the DM be the one playing the parts of both the goddess and the fondler, may not be completely irredeemable.

It is not the action itself, it is the method of employment, and purpose of employment. Gratuitous wish fullfillment by the DM is the same basic sin as creating Mary Sue characters.  It is simply bad story telling.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77575 on: May 25, 2015, 11:28:16 pm »

I was just pointing out that "Fondling the goddess", and even having the DM be the one playing the parts of both the goddess and the fondler, may not be completely irredeemable.

It is not the action itself, it is the method of employment, and purpose of employment. Gratuitous wish fullfillment by the DM is the same basic sin as creating Mary Sue characters.  It is simply bad story telling.

I dunno... I want to kill that guy and he hasn't even done anything evil yet.

If he were to do a heel turn...

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77576 on: May 25, 2015, 11:30:32 pm »

I made a thread for D&D/Pathfinder discussions, we could continue this over there to avoid further derailing of the WTF thread, if you guys are so inclined.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77577 on: May 25, 2015, 11:45:15 pm »

The plot is riddled with enough holes to cause trypophobia.
This made me smile. ^-^
The story itself, though, didn't. Seriously why haven't you ditched this creepy motherfucker already.
Kind of reminds me of a friend-of-a-friend. I've never participated in any of his Pnp campaigns, though. I doubt they'd be as bad as your guy.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77578 on: May 26, 2015, 12:19:23 am »

I mean, I like redheads, but that's absurd.
I want to fist-bump you, but considering the context, it's just... too much. @_@
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #77579 on: May 26, 2015, 12:27:34 am »

I made a thread for D&D/Pathfinder discussions, we could continue this over there to avoid further derailing of the WTF thread, if you guys are so inclined.
Might want to link it. Some of us can't be bothered looking.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 5170 5171 [5172] 5173 5174 ... 11037