Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5136 5137 [5138] 5139 5140 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14492394 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #77055 on: May 21, 2015, 11:12:54 am »

I think he's trying to introduce a kernel of healthy skepticism (proper definition) to the bland consumption of rhetoric and findings released in the raw by speakers at conventions like TED.  Confirmation bias abounds when the original researchers give the presentations, among other things.

Not saying conventions like TED are bad, just that blind consumption is ill advised.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77056 on: May 21, 2015, 11:46:32 am »

Did it really come off as aggressive? Didn't mean to, just pointing out that TED really has some entries of dubious quality.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #77057 on: May 21, 2015, 12:03:45 pm »

Sorting one of my old folders out, years of assorted images all dumped together in one great pile. While sorting through it I appeared to have stumbled upon the remains of an old rage thread.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This didn't make me angry, more than anything it made me curious - quite frankly it is like a scientific enigma that must be studied; how can one person be that stupid. I can't even hate, it's legitimately amazing, like discovering the DoDos were capable of survival.
This on the other hand did induce rage.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #77058 on: May 21, 2015, 12:07:16 pm »

Are You Insulting Our Lord And Saviour Jaden Smith? #Heresy #StoneAllUnbelievers

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77059 on: May 21, 2015, 12:13:18 pm »

I've been in such an... unstable mood for the past couple of days that it took a short while for the cerebral hemorrhage to set in.

There it goes... theeeeere it goes...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #77060 on: May 21, 2015, 12:14:37 pm »

I...
That...
Excuse me, but I am currently extremely angry. This would be the perfect time for a rage thread to spontaneously appear.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77061 on: May 21, 2015, 12:19:09 pm »

"I dont get something immediately == No real value" is a scourge of the modern world.

People just dont understand. Really, they JUST DONT UNDERSTAND.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77062 on: May 21, 2015, 12:24:42 pm »

Stuff like this makes me wish we had a law that allowed us to kill stupid people.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77063 on: May 21, 2015, 12:30:08 pm »

Well I don't understand what she's talking about, therefor whatever she said has no real value.  :P

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77064 on: May 21, 2015, 12:32:04 pm »

What. Did they just say that it was Stephen Fucking Hawking who came up with the 2012 apocalypse panic? For real?

Also, "Lots of things emit radiation." Isn't it cute when someone doesn't understand a thing but tries to.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #77065 on: May 21, 2015, 12:33:35 pm »

What. Did they just say that it was Stephen Fucking Hawking who came up with the 2012 apocalypse panic? For real?

Also, "Lots of things emit radiation." Isn't it cute when someone doesn't understand a thing but tries to.
It's technically true, though.
It's just that, strictly speaking, black holes aren't really things.
Don't quote me, though, my understanding of them is fairly limited.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77066 on: May 21, 2015, 12:36:22 pm »

No, they are totally things.  There have been (as close as can be done, given their nature) direct imagings of the things.  Sagitarius A at the center of our galaxy being one of them. (There are numerous others in our galaxy alone.)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #77067 on: May 21, 2015, 12:37:09 pm »

No, they are totally things.  There have been (as close as can be done, given their nature) direct imagings of the things.  Sagitarius A at the center of our galaxy being one of them. (There are numerous others in our galaxy alone.)
Ah, I meant in the sense they're not things in the same sense as, say, a radiator.
But thanks for clearing that up.
And, again, don't take anything I say seriously. I'm a 14-year old trying to sound smart.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:41:11 pm by BlitzDungeoneer »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77068 on: May 21, 2015, 12:47:42 pm »

Anti-intellectualism is the true enemy.
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77069 on: May 21, 2015, 12:49:13 pm »

"radiation" is one of those words that says exactly what it means-- Something is emitting radiation, if something is radiating away from it.  A powered light bulb emits photonic radiation. That's what it does.

There are many KINDS of radiation.  Photonic, such as what comes out of a light bulb, or a laser light source (And also what comes out of radio broadcast towers. Most people dont really contemplate that radiowaves and light are basically the same thing, just the energy of the wavelengths involved differ.)  There's also thermal radiation, and the various kinds of nuclear radiation. (Alpha particle emissions, Beta emissions, etc.)

Hawking radiation is another of those interesting kinds of radiation- It is high energy particle radiation, similar to nuclear radiation, except that it comes from some freaky quantum tunneling fun stuff.  Basically, due to the uncertainty principle, you can never be precisely certain about the exact location of a quantum particle, nor its momentum or direction of travel. As such, particles appearing near an impermeable barrier, like the event horizon of a black hole, have a small but greater than zero probability of spontaneously being OUTSIDE the horizon when measured. Couple this with another facet of quantum physics madness-- "empty" spacetime is FAAAR from empty (It produces very short lived particle-like phenomena called vacuum fluctuations that exist as virtual particle pairs for the teeniest, tiniest amount of time possible before annihilating and returning to nothing. Really.) and you end up with a certain nonzero probability that these particles will come into existence near the horizon of the black hole, one part will fall in, and the other part will escape. This makes the energy fluctuation into a real particle pair, stealing energy from the black hole to do so, (shrinking it), and emitting that energy away from the horizon as a liberated high energy particle that tunneled its way past that impermeable barrier (the event horizon).

That's what hawking radiation is.

Pages: 1 ... 5136 5137 [5138] 5139 5140 ... 11037