Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5132 5133 [5134] 5135 5136 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14492287 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76995 on: May 20, 2015, 06:02:17 pm »

*shrugs* Dominate superpower(s) est.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #76996 on: May 20, 2015, 06:05:23 pm »

After a year long sabbatical from this forum, I come back to find the random 504 timeouts as bad as ever.  How is this still happening?
It was actually working just fine for most of that year, so apparently the timeouts presaged your return.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #76997 on: May 20, 2015, 06:10:42 pm »

A significant number of sci-fi "Unified Earth" seem to have purely European/American aestetic. Why is this a thing.
Probably because a lot of those stories are written by Americans?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #76998 on: May 20, 2015, 06:12:14 pm »

A significant number of sci-fi "Unified Earth" seem to have purely European/American aestetic. Why is this a thing.
Likely because you're reading stories written by people from that culture. It'd be difficult for an American to write a story dominated by, say, chinese people.

Not to mention that Asian sci-fi is usually based off of European sci-fi.

Technology is also still a very European thing, and even technologically advanced asian cultures like Singapore or Korea is heavily influenced by Western media.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:13:57 pm by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #76999 on: May 20, 2015, 06:15:27 pm »

My favorite example of science fiction where everybody is of the same race is possibly Destroy All Monsters, a Japanese monster movie in the Godzilla line where the UN has a base on the moon staffed entirely by Japanese people.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77000 on: May 20, 2015, 06:15:48 pm »

Worse is that when it's instead a Chinese/Non-Euro United Earth, it either basically looks the same, or is a dystopia. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77001 on: May 20, 2015, 06:32:23 pm »

I thought the Unified Earth is always based on the UN. Either that or Space America.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77002 on: May 20, 2015, 06:39:11 pm »

A friend of mine convinced me to try out Final Fantasy 11 with them.   Ok sure what's the harm.

Lets ignore all the flaming hoops I had to jump through to even register for this old ass game, that apperantly requires 2 or 3 seperate square enix accounts (I'm not sure because I actually already have 1 account for ff14 and it may be gathering some info from that since I needed to log into it)

I'm currently looking at a patch download screen that says it's going to take 6 hours.  a 6 hour long download for a game nearly as old as World of Warcraft on a 85mbps connection.

What.  the fuck.

EDIT: Ok looking at task manager it seems it's only using 1mbps of my connection.   How old is this server and you'd think they would have at least upgraded it once when it broke down and they couldn't find the old original ancient parts anymore...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:41:06 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77003 on: May 20, 2015, 06:40:52 pm »

You'd be surprised how much old mmo's bloat in content over the years.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77004 on: May 20, 2015, 06:45:41 pm »

I'm personally not surprised.

At least they're within sane size and not "lol 80 gigs" like that one game I saw last year.
._.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #77005 on: May 20, 2015, 06:52:31 pm »

Well, it appears that I don't exist in my school's yearbook this year. I was absent from the only picture that could've had me in it, and I'm not even listed as being absent.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77006 on: May 20, 2015, 07:14:49 pm »

FFXI still exists?

I've never bought a yearbook, but I know I'm not in any graduation pictures. My mom was pissed.

Problem player is pissy that we aren't playing his campaign. We stopped playing it and moved onto adventure paths because he ran out of ideas. We stopped playing altogether for a bit over a month because he never once worked on it once he was out of ideas. Another player got fed up of not doing anything, and offered to DM some books. Asked everyone who wanted to to join him.

Problem player said no to playing with us, then got pissy when we played, because he wasn't there with us. Eventually joined us anyways, but still complains that we aren't playing his campaign, with all his shitty house-rules, poor story-telling, his DMPCs stealing the spotlight, and finally, fucking fan-service. I don't want to go back to his campaign.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #77007 on: May 20, 2015, 07:17:49 pm »

FFXI still exists?

I've never bought a yearbook, but I know I'm not in any graduation pictures. My mom was pissed.

Problem player is pissy that we aren't playing his campaign. We stopped playing it and moved onto adventure paths because he ran out of ideas. We stopped playing altogether for a bit over a month because he never once worked on it once he was out of ideas. Another player got fed up of not doing anything, and offered to DM some books. Asked everyone who wanted to to join him.

Problem player said no to playing with us, then got pissy when we played, because he wasn't there with us. Eventually joined us anyways, but still complains that we aren't playing his campaign, with all his shitty house-rules, poor story-telling, his DMPCs stealing the spotlight, and finally, fucking fan-service. I don't want to go back to his campaign.
Why would anyone put fanservice in a tabletop game?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77008 on: May 20, 2015, 07:19:15 pm »

Why would anyone put fanservice in a tabletop game?
Uh. I don't know how to say it to you, but fanservice in tabletop games existed since D&D was a thing.
._.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77009 on: May 20, 2015, 07:33:37 pm »

I don't know of any examples, but I think it's unnecessary. It doesn't serve to benefit anyone, other than to help the DM get off.

Stopping the game every hour or so to tell us how sexy and slutty his DMPC bard is serves no purpose. Neither does telling us how long and hard he researched redheads to try and figure out what his DMPC should look like. "Researched", as if saying that would fool anyone.

I could go on a rant about this campaign.
Pages: 1 ... 5132 5133 [5134] 5135 5136 ... 11037