Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5118 5119 [5120] 5121 5122 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494486 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76785 on: May 19, 2015, 12:13:41 pm »

Neutral characters who aren't "arbiters of balance" basically are best described as unmotivated by morality.

A petty thief would be True Neutral.

They might want to do good but they don't want to go out of their way, they might want to do evil but they don't really want to hurt anyone, they might want to break the law but they don't want to seriously break it, and they want to follow the law but maybe like not all of it.

So another way to put it is a True Neutral character WANTS to be another alignment but finds it too challenging.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:21:03 pm by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76786 on: May 19, 2015, 12:20:37 pm »

Yup, the issue happens when you have a true neutral requiring class, like druid.

Those HAVE to stay neutral, and are presumed to be the "philosophical neutral" kind.  Thats why I said "elven druid" in the murder mystery setting.  There's a reason for them being at the event (dignitary) and they have motive (victim was lawful good extremist, about to affect massive change toward his extreme alignment.)

Trying to get the DM to let you be a non-philosophical neutral neutral druid is probably not something they will allow, without constantly breaking your spellbook for you as your alignment shifts this way and that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76787 on: May 19, 2015, 12:21:19 pm »

A Chaotic Good person who believes all life is holy and never kills

Given that the Exemplar of "Chaotic Good" is Robin Hood... and he kills a LOT of people...

Chaotic Good is the alignment most in favor of "for the greater good"

He is an example of Chaotic Good, not the Example to End All Examples.

And I did not not say that all CG people must also believe all life is holy and never kill, I said that that example character did.
Love, scriver~

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76788 on: May 19, 2015, 12:23:28 pm »

This is a very reasonable and well thought out discussion, but perhaps it is taking place in the wrong thread?
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76789 on: May 19, 2015, 12:24:50 pm »

Yup, the issue happens when you have a true neutral requiring class, like druid.

Those HAVE to stay neutral, and are presumed to be the "philosophical neutral" kind.  Thats why I said "elven druid" in the murder mystery setting.  There's a reason for them being at the event (dignitary) and they have motive (victim was lawful good extremist, about to affect massive change toward his extreme alignment.)

Trying to get the DM to let you be a non-philosophical neutral neutral druid is probably not something they will allow, without constantly breaking your spellbook for you as your alignment shifts this way and that.

True Neutral Druids are more often an example of "Different morality system".

They believe in the morality of nature itself which is neither good nor evil... lawful or chaotic.

Then they are in "Being as neutral as possible".

A Chaotic Good person who believes all life is holy and never kills

Given that the Exemplar of "Chaotic Good" is Robin Hood... and he kills a LOT of people...

Chaotic Good is the alignment most in favor of "for the greater good"

He is an example of Chaotic Good, not the Example to End All Examples.

And I did not not say that all CG people must also believe all life is holy and never kill, I said that that example character did.

Opps! my apologies

This is a very reasonable and well thought out discussion, but perhaps it is taking place in the wrong thread?

Where we going to have it? The Tabletop thread? HA! There is a reason I refuse to make a single post in there.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:26:38 pm by Neonivek »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #76790 on: May 19, 2015, 12:27:13 pm »

Technically as long as we are talking about "This for things that have confused you today." we're still on topic :P. That said feel free to drop some WTF's of your own if you have them, they still count to of course.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #76791 on: May 19, 2015, 12:32:32 pm »

Day 5679, the alignment discussion is still ongoing. There is as yet no end in sight, no explanation seems to satisfy all the participants...

Seriously, what is it with the internet and D&D alignment discussions? :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76792 on: May 19, 2015, 12:35:11 pm »

Interpretation and bull-headedness.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76793 on: May 19, 2015, 12:41:05 pm »

Seriously, what is it with the internet and D&D alignment discussions? :P
It's a fairly vague system that a lot of people use/have used and with titles that don't quite match up with the descriptions (thus leading to a lot of confusion about what vagueness is actually described. That right there would lead to a lot of discussion alone, even if everyone was perfectly willing to accept other's beliefs. :P
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76794 on: May 19, 2015, 12:44:32 pm »

meanwhile I've noticed again the conspicuous lack of rage thread

did people just run out of rage or
._.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76795 on: May 19, 2015, 12:45:38 pm »

The Toad has resolved that there be no more rage threads.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76796 on: May 19, 2015, 12:47:06 pm »

meanwhile I've noticed again the conspicuous lack of rage thread

did people just run out of rage or
It got locked due to an exceptionally bad string of flame wars that involved throwing slurs and other horrible things at other forum members. After about the 3rd time it was closed down, then somebody tried to start up a new one (without all the very closely monitored rules the first one had) and that one started to go up, at which point the Great Toad declared a moratorium on all rage threads.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76797 on: May 19, 2015, 01:31:10 pm »

why steampunk exists, cyberpunk also exists, but gyropunk doesn't?

gyroscopes are awesome why do they not get as much love as they should
._.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #76798 on: May 19, 2015, 01:39:50 pm »

gyroscopes cant be used to power stuff :V

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #76799 on: May 19, 2015, 01:41:35 pm »

You probably get plenty of gyroscopes in steampunk, too.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 5118 5119 [5120] 5121 5122 ... 11037