Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5117 5118 [5119] 5120 5121 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494490 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76770 on: May 19, 2015, 11:34:40 am »

Only if they dual-wielded it with a plasma pistol.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76771 on: May 19, 2015, 11:40:08 am »

I don't get how 'true neutral' have to be the arbiters of balance or whatever have you.  Can't they just not give a shit either way?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76772 on: May 19, 2015, 11:40:38 am »

I don't get how 'true neutral' have to be the arbiters of balance or whatever have you.  Can't they just not give a shit either way?

Because absolutely not caring... makes you Chaotic

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76773 on: May 19, 2015, 11:44:45 am »

Not really.  Cause thats just chaotic stupid. 
You follow laws cause there is a consequence, not because you believe in them. 
You also ignore laws, when it is convenient/the consequence is worth it/you can get away with it.
Is there really a need to be some sort of arbiter?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76774 on: May 19, 2015, 11:46:56 am »

Not really.  Cause thats just chaotic stupid. 
You follow laws cause there is a consequence, not because you believe in them. 
You also ignore laws, when it is convenient/the consequence is worth it/you can get away with it.
Is there really a need to be some sort of arbiter?
No, that's why True Neutral are batshit insane.
._.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76775 on: May 19, 2015, 11:50:38 am »

So what would be the real alignment for an actual neutral neutral?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76776 on: May 19, 2015, 11:53:55 am »

neutral neutral.

to the neutral neutral, laws are an artificial construct that can be used either constructively or destructively. The neutral neutral chooses which laws to uphold, and which to ignore, based on what those laws stand for, or intend to do.

The ONLY laws that neutral neutrals hold sacrosanct are natural laws. cause and effect, etc.

neutral neutral is a requirement for some kinds of spellcaster class.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76778 on: May 19, 2015, 11:56:59 am »

Isn't murder technically a Chaotic act anyway? I mean, there are laws against murder, which apply even if the victim themselves is Evil or if it was done for a "good" reason.

The alignment of Lawful has very little to do with what is legal or illegal. Lawful people are not automatically warped into agreeing or disagreeing with an act based on whether the act is legal or not. Neither is breaking any individual law in itself a Chaotic act, nor is following one inherently Lawful. A Chaotic Good person who believes all life is holy and never kills does not necessarily act Lawful just because he is by happenstance avoiding to break the law of the land by not murdering people, for example.

So what would be the real alignment for an actual neutral neutral?

I usually separate Neutral, True Neutral, and Unaligned (for nonsentient beings and things). But that's just me, of course.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76779 on: May 19, 2015, 12:00:26 pm »

A Chaotic Good person who believes all life is holy and never kills

Given that the Exemplar of "Chaotic Good" is Robin Hood... and he kills a LOT of people...

Chaotic Good is the alignment most in favor of "for the greater good"
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:02:31 pm by Neonivek »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76780 on: May 19, 2015, 12:02:52 pm »

Animals who don't know better are one example.   but I always kinda figured the don't really care thing was more true neutral than chaotic neutral.  A little on the chaotic side of neutral maybe.  But I see a true neutral that isn't the everything must balance type as the one's that don't really care for the law but will follow it as long as there is no strong modivation not to.

Here's a situation that gives my opinions on the lawful alignments: 3 different people are driving to a location.  They get a red light, but there is no traffic or signs of people in any direction.

Lawful: Will sit at the red light until it turns green in everything but an emergency.
Neutral: Will sit at a red light until it turns green, unless they are in a particular hurry or pressured into going (like a person behind them honking for them to just go)
Chaotic: Will just go without a second thought.  Check to make sure it's clear, and no hidden cops, then go.

Of course since the alignments are so ill defined I'm sure others have different opinions.  In any cas somebody could fall into the neutral situation there, and not have an opinion on good or evil.  Those people would be true neutral without being the everything must balance type.

Super Ninjad, and I don't care, posting anyway.  Forum neutral
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76781 on: May 19, 2015, 12:07:12 pm »

I got ninja'd by Scriver, but yeah.

1) Normal people who don't have a strong position in the four directions - most people in a typical setting are like this.  Looking out for themselves first, but with some compassion.  Willing to deceive when it's appropriate, not for the sake of it.  Baseline.
2) People who believe strongly in that instinctual, baseline morality.  Typically druids.  They oppose the unnatural influence of the forces of self-sacrifice, stagnation, chaos, and sadism.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76782 on: May 19, 2015, 12:08:09 pm »

A Lawful person believes that a code of rules and discipline are the best way for someone to live by.

While a Chaotic person believes that rules are just restrictions on a person living up to their potential.

Lawful people tend to be honest because they believe in "order". While a Chaotic person doesn't care because to him words are cheap and don't mean anything.

Honestly Law vs Chaos are weird in that... well as someone said "The alignments are based off of modern thinking" but... Law vs chaos are CLEARLY not. Good and evil? Yeah...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:11:12 pm by Neonivek »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #76783 on: May 19, 2015, 12:08:53 pm »

They most definitely can. That's how the neutral deity Boccob is generally presented.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #76784 on: May 19, 2015, 12:11:39 pm »

I'm not seeing how the first part of that description = "batshit insane". Heck, even the second part sounds a lot more like something a greek philosopher would advocate and follow than something of madness. Though I can obviously see how the second part could be played that way, "oh, fed that street dog? Better kill that kitten", but I don't think it has to be like that. Even a character following the second part of the description wouldn't seem that crazy as long as they advocated balance on a macro scale instead of a micro one (like say a rouge that steals regularly from good people, but then did good deeds the rest of the time to "balance" the bad ones they are doing could still fit the "philosophically committed to neutrality" description, since they are balanced on a macro scale, if not quite on a micro one).

Reading up on what the lawful/chaotic descriptions, I'm not sure I'd agree with with your description at the light there. Chaotic is described as "Chaotic characters follow their consciences, resent being told what to do, favor new ideas over tradition, and do what they promise if they feel like it". To me that means that a Neutral Character might be a little reluctant to go and might feel guilty about going if they do go, where a Chaotic character would go or stop as they feel like doing at the moment, and wouldn't feel guilty either way. Chaotic != breaks all laws, it means they don't respect authority and they do what they want to do at the moment. (Though if there was say, a stop sign there I could see a Chaotic character getting a bit of fun out of breaking it, since they "resent being told what to do", but that doesn't mean they have to break it if they don't feel like it).

Ninjas! Everywhere!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 5117 5118 [5119] 5120 5121 ... 11037