Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5115 5116 [5117] 5118 5119 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494538 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76740 on: May 19, 2015, 09:03:58 am »

Probably some kind of practicality thing. I rather imagine you'd start having preference detecting spells in wide use just as soon as love of Gouda started powering strategic-level thaumaturgic WMDs.

Or in a very developed setting that's actually reigned in the death world aspect sufficiently that people can stop dying long enough to develop and thoroughly disseminate frivolous spells.

Spells like what you're talking about probably actually exist in these worlds -- insane epic level casters are something that can exist, after all -- they're just not really in use because folks have other things on the mind (like the orc invasion, or demon incursion, or rampaging death cultists, or etc., etc., etc.).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76741 on: May 19, 2015, 09:26:21 am »

Preference Detection Spells would be the mainstay of targeted advertising.  Marketing's wet dream.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #76742 on: May 19, 2015, 09:38:00 am »

reigned in the death world aspect

aaaaAA it's 'reined in' as in 'to rein in a horse' in the idiomatic sense AAaaaa

Don't mind me, carry on.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76743 on: May 19, 2015, 09:40:00 am »

I can't get over this movie I seen

Basically these astronauts use a rocket that can go, basically, the speed of light and go to the nearest planet closest to earth that can support life.

So they land on this island populated by giant creatures, we will say monsters.

So what they do is they escape the Island and then NUKE IT!

Really!?! Why the HECK did you need to nuke that island full of alien species?

Was this REALLY the old American mentality?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:43:58 am by Neonivek »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76744 on: May 19, 2015, 09:44:33 am »

Name of the movie?

I'm feeling you missed a point or something that required/justified the nuking. If not then I gotta see how nonsensical the rest of it is :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76745 on: May 19, 2015, 09:47:37 am »

Name of the movie?

I'm feeling you missed a point or something that required/justified the nuking. If not then I gotta see how nonsensical the rest of it is :D

King Dinosaur

It has been MST3ked mind you... Hence where I originally saw it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:52:56 am by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76746 on: May 19, 2015, 10:13:47 am »

You would wonder why any setting with easily achievable spell that unfailingly tells you of a persons alignment and (assuming spells are created and not gifted down from the heavens with a quartet of angels and the spell inscribed in bloody gold inlay) by extension spells that would also unfailingly tell you about a persons likes and dislikes and destroys them if they dislike the original flavoured versions of anything aren't an extremely segregated society cut off from others in fractal subsets with pettier and pettier things being scanned for.

Man that actually sounds like a cool setting.
It's really super falsifiable though.  Detect <Alignment> spells are level 1, but so is the bard spell Undetectable Alignment (level 2 for Clerics and Paladins).  Undetectable Alignment absolutely foils alignment-detecting divinations, no opposed roll.  Under that spell you appear as neutral, IE you don't light up on any of the four detect spells.  It lasts 24 hours too.

Though to be fair you have to be a level 2 bard or level 3 cleric to cast the spell, and the spell itself can be detected with Detect Magic (faint abjuration).  I think a DC 21 spellcraft check would reveal the name of the spell.  With access to level 3 Dispel Magic one could strip away the Undetectable Alignment, confirm it's gone with another Detect Magic, *then* start casting Detect Evil/Good/Law/Chaos until there's finally a (probably) accurate reading.  Though I think there are illusion spells which would beat that process as well...  I know really epic Bluff checks can.  I think it depends a lot on what splat books you use.

And even if you get it right, alignments change.  Outsider intervention helps, but adventuring or simple life-changing experiences can do it.  So you certainly can't scan a baby and predict anything meaningful...  Heck I bet most paladins were chaotic in their teen-equivalent years.  :P

BTW, paladins can't harm innocents.  Paladins are lawful good (excluding variants), but they follow some very specific rules waaaay beyond that alignment.
A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act.

Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.
Associates

While she may adventure with characters of any good or neutral alignment, a paladin will never knowingly associate with evil characters, nor will she continue an association with someone who consistently offends her moral code. A paladin may accept only henchmen, followers, or cohorts who are lawful good.

So no, a paladin can't slaughter any innocent orc civilians.  On the other hand, a paladin is literally required to hold their party members to their moral code.  I think a group that wants the paladin to stick around should probably interpret that *very* loosely, but it's there.  No one in the party can "consistently" lie, cheat, *use poison*, cast evil spells (neutral spellcasters are able to wield Good and Evil together), or even refuse to help people.  It's simply "Sorry guys, the party has to generally obey my character's morality or I'll literally lose my powers".  Some rules are probably best ignored for the sake of party cooperation, is what I'm suggesting.

Edit:
I should probably clarify (because it's fun), Undetectable Alignment makes you show up as neutral/neutral.  Like most commoners will, excluding racial or exceptional cultural factors.  Basically strong alignment values are what show up on the scan, neutral people just don't emit alignmenton particles.  (Clerics and outsiders show up a LOT brighter.  Except neutral ones, heh).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:22:10 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76747 on: May 19, 2015, 10:17:56 am »

Undetectable Alignment absolutely foils alignment-detecting divinations, no opposed roll.

Nope... Undetectable Alignment OUTRIGHT makes you suspicious.

Since "Detect Magic"

"Ohh look, I am looking for evil... and your the only one with a spell cast on them. I wonder which one it is"

And before you say "But you have no evidence" you can also say "Well then drop your spell and let me cast detect alignment again"

Note that if you have a spell that SPECIFICALLY tells you someone's alignment outright... It instantly tells you they are hiding their alignment which always means they are evil. You need the spell that gives people a false alignment reading.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76749 on: May 19, 2015, 10:23:12 am »

Got a write up at work today for "Not attempting to solve the customer's technical issue" on a phone audit. (Quality assurance people randomly listen to our technical calls and grade us on how we did.)

I got an auto fail for not solving the problem, they could not connect to the Playstation Network on their PS4.  The internet worked but it couldn't connect to PSN.  I went through all of my approved troubleshooting steps, as well as some additional things we are allowed to try when the official steps fail.  All this took 30 minutes of phone time.  Our average time is supposed to be 18 minutes.   I eventually just checked the status of the Playstation network and lo and behold, their official site says the login server is down.

Well there's yer problem.

I inform the customer on the phone of my findings and they are happy to have it solved, they even said they were starting to suspect that themselves.  I do my usual spheal that I'm supposed to say for legality when using info from a 3rd party site, and they say they will call back if it continues by the morning and thanks me for being thorough.

Apparently my auditor thought "Agent was too quick to assume 3rd party issues with no evidence to back up claims" and "Agent ignored equipment error codes."  The error code they are talking about was a known bug in our tools where one of the modem brands we service reports offline, while still reporting everything else as normal(which it would not do if it was ACTUALLY offline)

So my auditor told my supervisor, and despite my supervisor listening to the call and knowing it's a load of crap he's still required to give me a write up.  God damn corporate bureaucracy.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76750 on: May 19, 2015, 10:24:41 am »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76751 on: May 19, 2015, 10:26:15 am »

God damn corporate bureaucracy.

Wow, I know a webcomic you would love!

The main character basically has your job... except his job is more SPECIFICALLY to blame the person on the other end for their problems and put blame off of the company.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #76752 on: May 19, 2015, 10:39:56 am »

I still consider it a setting...

Because not only can you travel between those worlds but the sort of flavors of the ultimate universe of dungeons and dragons... Permeates through them.

Except for Eberron, which to my knowledge has never been part of Spelljammer/Planescape
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76753 on: May 19, 2015, 10:43:18 am »

I still consider it a setting...

Because not only can you travel between those worlds but the sort of flavors of the ultimate universe of dungeons and dragons... Permeates through them.

Except for Eberron, which to my knowledge has never been part of Spelljammer/Planescape

They have optional rules for it... it gets really weird and complicated.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76754 on: May 19, 2015, 10:47:31 am »

He might enjoy powernap (comic) as well.

Pages: 1 ... 5115 5116 [5117] 5118 5119 ... 11037