Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460499 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #7665 on: April 12, 2012, 11:56:37 am »

Who told you 4chan was work safe?

It isn't really even home alone with the door locked and windows shuttered safe.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: April 12, 2012, 12:53:33 pm »

These past few days I've been really analyzing word choice and prose in literature as I try to write my own little thing. Worked all night at it, and now complete sentences cannot form I. Tired me is.

Who knew this stuff was so hard? I remember when I first really started drawing and got extremely frustrated that I couldn't draw lines exactly like I wanted. Similar feeling here.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #7667 on: April 12, 2012, 01:19:19 pm »

These past few days I've been really analyzing word choice and prose in literature as I try to write my own little thing. Worked all night at it, and now complete sentences cannot form I. Tired me is.

Who knew this stuff was so hard? I remember when I first really started drawing and got extremely frustrated that I couldn't draw lines exactly like I wanted. Similar feeling here.
It's like exercise for your brain parts! That's a good feeling.

and tell me one circumstance with those words, you can say 'are'
That's actually perfectly acceptable English for a science journal. It just sounds really weird because even data as a plural takes a singular verb in non-technical speech.

"After collecting various phonological samples the gathered data are carefully analyzed."
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7668 on: April 12, 2012, 01:33:37 pm »

I think it's open to debate as to whether it takes singular or plural.

"The data suggest" or "The data suggests"? The latter seems more "correct" in everday usage.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7669 on: April 12, 2012, 01:37:31 pm »

The singular of Data is Datum. Data are plural.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7670 on: April 12, 2012, 01:46:47 pm »

For Data-related questions, read: http://www.ralphmag.org/DC/data.html
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7671 on: April 12, 2012, 01:47:11 pm »

I thought Data was like Sheep in plurals.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #7672 on: April 12, 2012, 01:47:48 pm »

No, data is plural, since you're referring to it as the word an not the concept it represents. :p

I gotta agree with RedKing, though, in everyday usage the singular is more correct because data is treated as a mass noun in standard English. If you try to use the plural you'll get jeered at. Jeering is the ultimate standard for correctness in language. :D

Ninja'd

ed: In fact, you could make the argument that even in technical language the plural verb is incorrect because data is always treated as a mass noun in English. The proof for this is that it can't be directly quantified. You can't say "Tim sent me 300 data this morning." Although I'll admit the fewer/less distinction is more ambiguous.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:58:48 pm by fqllve »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7673 on: April 12, 2012, 01:59:22 pm »

Yeah, it depends on if we're talking about technically correct or general usage correct. You'll tend to see it treated as plural in professional scientific contexts and some textbooks, and singular just about everywhere else.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7675 on: April 12, 2012, 02:48:23 pm »

Wait. Wait. Wait.

This changes everything! It suggests that it's possible to commit murder and get away with a 3 year sentence if you simply dispose of the body in the most poorly thought out possible way. Not that I intend to suggest that's what happened here, but rather that is the conclusion that can be drawn about the impact on the law, suggested purely based on the charges mentioned in the article.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #7676 on: April 12, 2012, 02:54:13 pm »

Without the body it's impossible to say what happened. As messed up as it is she might have just had a stress-induced extremely poor lapse in judgment. On one level I'm glad that she's at least getting the benefit of the doubt but on another, more visceral, level I find the whole thing to be extraordinarily suspicious.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:59:27 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7679 on: April 12, 2012, 03:04:17 pm »

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/cleveland-mom-sentenced-to-3-years-for-throwing-5-year-old-out-with-trash

....I should probably refrain from expressing my thoughts on this. Suffice it to say they involve forced sterilization as a start.

My daughter is 5. If my wife did something like this, I'd kill her myself.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 11040