Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5047 5048 [5049] 5050 5051 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14517688 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75720 on: May 05, 2015, 03:36:36 pm »

he does put on the most obnoxious fucking voice for the frank character though like wow

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #75721 on: May 05, 2015, 03:38:30 pm »

True, so I suppose if you didn't get that it was a character... but people accepting things at face value? On my internet?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75722 on: May 05, 2015, 03:39:24 pm »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75723 on: May 05, 2015, 03:41:11 pm »

"Cringe" implies sympathy.

I guess I've been made cynical to that word based on the way that it's almost always used in a completely fucking vile manner on Reddit as a way to excuse bullying by saying "UH BUT IT'S JUST CRINGE DUDE"
Well it's for sympathetic embarrassment isn't it? Apparently it can be used for disgust but I don't think I've heard it used that way much.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #75724 on: May 05, 2015, 03:48:05 pm »

Well, as P noted th'main problem being had on their end is they spend time on reddit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75725 on: May 05, 2015, 03:56:01 pm »

True, so I suppose if you didn't get that it was a character... but people accepting things at face value? On my internet?

To cringe (english version, not reddit) is a shiver of disgust or embarassment. A basic reaction to anything really awkward to engage with.

You don't have to accept things at "face value" or believe it's not a "character" to cringe at something. Consider Mr Bean. Nobody is mistaking him for a real person. And while some skits can be great to watch, the "cringe factor" is the big comedic selling point. So much that it skirts the edge between being funny and just being cringeworthy if it goes on too long. look at the full length Mr Bean movie they made in America. Put into that context, it's just cringe and not funny.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 03:59:37 pm by Reelya »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #75726 on: May 05, 2015, 03:57:26 pm »

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/03/how-memes-are-orchestrated-by-the-man/274466/
I'm not sure I agree with the connotations of everything there. I mean sure, I'll give them that that particular meme was definitely company driven. But I can think of many, many more examples where companies try to push a meme only for it to fall flat, or for memes to be created that have absolutely nothing to do with companies. I'd say that they definitely have a better shots at pulling one off successfully than the average person due to their ability to push something out on more channels at once, but I wouldn't say that they have anything near a stranglehold on meme generation or popularizing.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #75727 on: May 05, 2015, 04:00:30 pm »

Consider Mr Bean. Too much of that can definitely get cringeworthy, look at the full length Mr Bean movie they made in America.
The Mr. Bean movie was made in America? Huh.

I guess that explains why I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as the original show. :P
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75728 on: May 05, 2015, 04:08:48 pm »

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/03/how-memes-are-orchestrated-by-the-man/274466/
I'm not sure I agree with the connotations of everything there. I mean sure, I'll give them that that particular meme was definitely company driven. But I can think of many, many more examples where companies try to push a meme only for it to fall flat, or for memes to be created that have absolutely nothing to do with companies. I'd say that they definitely have a better shots at pulling one off successfully than the average person due to their ability to push something out on more channels at once, but I wouldn't say that they have anything near a stranglehold on meme generation or popularizing.
I'd personally say that "pushing" the meme is definitely the wrong approach for making it popular.

Except for the case where you exploit the reverse psychology. Then it's actually possible. You just need to first create it, push for deleting it everywhere you can reach and make sure that the news about how "you don't like this meme and want to delete it from the Internet" will hit the relevant social circles. The nearly-guaranteed Internet backlash will ensure its popularity.
._.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75729 on: May 05, 2015, 04:15:20 pm »

So much that it skirts the edge between being funny and just being cringeworthy if it goes on too long. look at the full length Mr Bean movie they made in America. Put into that context, it's just cringe and not funny.
But that film just isn't funny. Meanwhile the cinematic masterpiece, 'Mr Bean's Holiday' manages to be legitimately good the entire way through. And it is still a full length film about Mr Bean.
Checkmate, atheists.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75730 on: May 05, 2015, 04:17:56 pm »

Consider Mr Bean. Too much of that can definitely get cringeworthy, look at the full length Mr Bean movie they made in America.
The Mr. Bean movie was made in America? Huh.

I guess that explains why I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as the original show. :P

There are at least two Mr Bean movies. The first one is set in America, and combines a really bad American action/comedy film with Mr Bean skits. It is the worst one. It's like two separate movies crammed together, with really bad acting a plot, low budget American low-brow humor, and then Mr Bean being cringeworthy on the edges.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #75731 on: May 05, 2015, 04:18:57 pm »

Oh man, for a moment I thought guys were badmouthing Mr Bean's Holiday.

That movie is a national treasure of whatever country produced it >.>

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75732 on: May 05, 2015, 04:21:38 pm »

I liked Mr Bean's Holiday. I'm really glad about that because the Mr Bean movie they made first almost scared me off watching Holiday. But I figured, it couldn't literally be any worse than the American one.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #75733 on: May 05, 2015, 04:24:33 pm »

Isn't that the one with the painting? I remember watching that and thinking it was okay.

I may or may not have watched it a second time later on :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75734 on: May 05, 2015, 04:25:37 pm »

The sketch with the painting was the only good bit. And the thing about that sketch was it was one of the few segments in the film which was just Mr Bean by himself doing Bean-like things. Notice that none of the other characters are in that scene and it's the normal Bean visual comedy routine. I think the issue is that it was trying to break him into the American market by putting him in an American-style action/comedy film. But it was a bad film in almost every way, bar one or two visual comedy routines from Rowan Atkinson.

For Mr Bean's Holiday, they rightly focus on Mr Bean 99% of the time, not 1% of the time. You have that genius visual comedy guy up there, why waste him in a dialogue-heavy movie that takes focus off him?

And the "trying to appeal to Americans" thing might be justified, because I can find a number of American reviews of the dreadful Mr Bean movie claiming it's far superior to "Mr Bean's Holiday". Yeah, so they just don't get the surrealist visual humor.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:34:24 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 5047 5048 [5049] 5050 5051 ... 11037