Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4998 4999 [5000] 5001 5002 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14513023 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #74985 on: April 25, 2015, 02:58:46 am »

... what was it about?

And, uh. Why? Did whoever do that?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74986 on: April 25, 2015, 03:03:29 am »

I remember something like that happening in one of my high school english classes. The teacher decided she didn't like some parts of the story, and made up entire chapters.

It's actually quite impressive if someone could pull it off without people even realizing it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #74987 on: April 25, 2015, 03:04:47 am »

I recently discovered that the edition of "The Time machine" that I read in elementary school (the "Great Illustrated Classics" edition) contained an entire fake chapter that isn't really in the story (not the extra paragraphs from the New Review edition, an entire extra CHAPTER)

That makes some sense - those books usually cut out a lot of the story, and there were a few (particularly ones where the original had a fair bit of political commentary built in) that they cut up so bad that they needed new material to cover the gaps. Of course, I might be talking out my ass here, I haven't read one of those in over twenty years.

As an aside, I've seen a adaptation in identical style (not only the "page of text facing an illustration" sort, but the illustrations were stylistically identical) of Terminator 2: Judgement Day. I wish I had it (it was something I came across at work a few years ago), to see if it was the same illustrator or just a very good imitator, adn to see what the point of it was.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74988 on: April 25, 2015, 03:10:32 am »

This is the best thing I've seen all day.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #74989 on: April 25, 2015, 03:22:13 am »

... what was it about?

In retrospect it reads more like a rejected Doctor Who script than H.G.Wells

In the fake chapter the time traveler stops about halfway back to his own time during his return journey and lands in an era during which time travel is illegal after experimentation with it proved dangerous. The time machine is confiscated taken to be destroyed, but the bureaucrat in charge has it diverted because he intends to steal it to go back and conquer the past. The time traveler gets his time machine back by making up a lie about nonexistent weapon systems; he gets the bureaucrat to let him back into the time machine under the pretense of showing him where the poison gas lever is, but as soon as he gets in he immediately takes off back to his own time.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74990 on: April 25, 2015, 03:28:53 am »

In the fake chapter the time traveler stops about halfway back to his own time during his return journey and lands in an era during which time travel is illegal after experimentation with it proved dangerous. The time machine is confiscated taken to be destroyed, but the bureaucrat in charge has it diverted because he intends to steal it to go back and conquer the past. The time traveler gets his time machine back by making up a lie about nonexistent weapon systems; he gets the bureaucrat to let him back into the time machine under the pretense of showing him where the poison gas lever is, but as soon as he gets in he immediately takes off back to his own time.
That actually sounds pretty awesome.
I do stuff, I guess

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #74991 on: April 25, 2015, 03:34:09 am »

it sounds objectively bad

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #74992 on: April 25, 2015, 05:45:41 am »

* Tawarochir looks at last page

...What the hell happened last night?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #74993 on: April 25, 2015, 05:58:35 am »

I made a terrible mistake.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #74994 on: April 25, 2015, 06:14:03 am »

I made a terrible mistake.
Shhh only meames now.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74995 on: April 25, 2015, 06:20:08 am »

5th edition of D&D appears to be dead. There are no splatbooks, not even in project. This can't be good.

No, it is good. That's a deliberate design decision they made. The idea is that the player's handbook is all you need now. Older editions especially 2nd Ed got to the point where you needed dozens of rulebooks to join a game, depending on what everyone else was using. The goal of 5th Ed is to increase eye contact and talking/role-playing, and reduce the amount of leafing through a pile of rulebooks to determine things, but also to avoid the arms-race of optional rulebooks, which can make it very daunting and expensive for new players to play with established players.

It's paid off with chart-topping sales, which is especially noteworthy given that the game is competing with video games. You just need one book now, and can join any regular game. All new optional rules are contained in modules, and they have a deliberate policy of only including what's needed to make that specific module work in a story sense. So, really, only the DM needs to buy the new supplements. That seems to be the goal.

http://www.examiner.com/article/5e-d-d-player-s-handbook-tops-amazon-sales-lists

Remember, that 2nd Ed AD&D sent TSR broke and saw them being bought up by a competitor. More optional books did not equal more profits.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:20:24 am by Reelya »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74996 on: April 25, 2015, 09:07:48 am »

http://www.examiner.com/article/5e-d-d-player-s-handbook-tops-amazon-sales-lists
This book right now is on place #97 or some shit like this.

This can't be good, you see. It's a single book, it has already saturated the market.
._.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74997 on: April 25, 2015, 10:18:10 am »

Playing Anno 1404, a Beggar gives me a quest to salvage some flotsam and bring it back to my city. The quest was titled "One man's meat". And when I delivered the cargo, the Beggar rewards me with 30 tons of weaponry.

What the hell was in that crate, and where the hell does a beggar get so many weapons?

So, in a sense, China has its own version of rural trash?
Though... it is an interesting send-off...

When I saw that on the CNN news ticker, I was hoping that wasn't what I thought it was. It was.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is the best thing I've seen all day.
That's the scariest thing I've seen all day.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74998 on: April 25, 2015, 11:15:33 am »

The crate had sensitive intell/a holy artifact/the purest of cocaine, and the beggar was just a runner hired by the actual people who wanted it.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #74999 on: April 25, 2015, 11:21:49 am »

... a blessed artifact made of purest cocaine, inscribed with sensitive intel? I can see that being worth 30 tons of dakka.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 4998 4999 [5000] 5001 5002 ... 11037