Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4979 4980 [4981] 4982 4983 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14502718 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #74700 on: April 22, 2015, 02:20:36 pm »

And the Japanese.
Awful lot of innocent blood on American hands, though it's similar anywhere.

There wasn't any bloodshed in the internment camps (although there was a lot of theft of personal property and looting of homes that were left vacant)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74701 on: April 22, 2015, 02:26:08 pm »

And the Japanese.

There wasn't any bloodshed in the internment camps (although there was a lot of theft of personal property and looting of homes that were left vacant)

Probably talking less about the concentration camps in the U.S. and more about the indiscriminate firebombing campaign that killed more Japanese civilians than the atomic bombs, and that McNamara admitted much later was pretty much a war crime that nobody was punished for because the Allies won.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #74702 on: April 22, 2015, 02:26:39 pm »

Which also reminds me that there were proponents of lobotomy in the US till nearly the end of the 20th century. In fact, some people believed lobotomies would become as common as dentist assignments. At one points, lobotomy was paraded around as a panacea against nearly anything mind related. Parents would get their adolescent children lobotomized for being rebellious.

And it was actually banned in the Soviet Union decades before it was banned here. So we weren't ahead of them everywhere in terms of human rights.
Aside from that part where they hospitalized perfectly mentally healthy people that came down with Dissidentitis. But hey, they at least officially didn't lobotomize them!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #74703 on: April 22, 2015, 02:30:00 pm »

And the Japanese.
Ehhhh japan kind of has tons of blood on its hands too, and it was pretty justified for the US to stomp imperial japan to end WW2, altough using ATOMIC BOMBS on two huge civilian sites was a huge dickmove.

They only dropped the second one because the first one wasn't enpugh to make them surrender.

And what would you have had us do instead? Invade? If you want to talk about unethical, a government capriciously gambling away the lives of thousands upon thousands of it's own people to resolve a problem that could have been solved without risking more than a dozen or so of them is unethical.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74704 on: April 22, 2015, 02:31:23 pm »

It wasn't even dissentitis most of the time even. Homosexuality was very much considered a disease, along with anything that didn't fit the soviet agenda. IIRC, the soviet union aimed to stimulate homosexuality and overall liberal behavior in their enemy countries because they believed it was inherently harmful to society, and would thus weaken their enemies.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74705 on: April 22, 2015, 02:34:06 pm »

So, I'm doing my thing. Reading stuff. Seeing things. And then I run across this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #74706 on: April 22, 2015, 02:35:33 pm »

And the Japanese.
Ehhhh japan kind of has tons of blood on its hands too, and it was pretty justified for the US to stomp imperial japan to end WW2, altough using ATOMIC BOMBS on two huge civilian sites was a huge dickmove.

They only dropped the second one because the first one wasn't enpugh to make them surrender.

And what would you have had us do instead? Invade? If you want to talk about unethical, a government capriciously gambling away the lives of thousands upon thousands of it's own people to resolve a problem that could have been solved without risking more than a dozen or so of them is unethical.
Soldiers against soldiers, or bombs against civilians?
Awful lot of innocent blood on any government's hands, if you go back to the right point in history. Pretending that any nation's history is a glorious golden arc of peace and prosperity is just propaganda.
I know. Hence the "though it's the same anywhere."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74707 on: April 22, 2015, 02:40:36 pm »

Awful lot of innocent blood on any government's hands, if you go back to the right point in history. Pretending that any nation's history is a glorious golden arc of peace and prosperity is just propaganda.
^

And the Japanese.

Soldiers against soldiers, or bombs against civilians?

Irrelevant question. In total war, all are targets. Do you think cities would not have been bombed - maybe firebombed - if the nuclear weaponry had not been deployed? Not, it would have been a slow grind of reducing Japan to ash before they surrendered.

The notion of civilians not being a target is relatively new - and as we can see from the ratio of civilian-to-soldier capabilities even today, one that is tenuous in practice at best. 
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74708 on: April 22, 2015, 02:54:39 pm »

Plus in America, EVERYONE is a militiaman.
I mean, it's a constitutional responsibility.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #74709 on: April 22, 2015, 02:57:46 pm »

I wasn't asked which was more expedient. Just what was more ethical. Soldiers against soldiers is, IMO, more ethical than bombs against civilians, no matter the context.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74710 on: April 22, 2015, 03:00:28 pm »

http://boingboing.net/2015/04/22/wellness-guru-belle-gibson.html

I'll never understand why people like this aren't in jail.   >:(
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #74711 on: April 22, 2015, 03:02:11 pm »

The last form of Goku is literally called "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" :o

Yeah, because Super Saiyan God is an independent thing from Super Saiyan, once a saiyan becomes Super Saiyan God they absorb some of that god power and due to that Super Saiyan gets all weird, so Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74712 on: April 22, 2015, 03:05:40 pm »

So, I'm doing my thing. Reading stuff. Seeing things. And then I run across this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74713 on: April 22, 2015, 03:08:15 pm »

And the Japanese.

It's even more insidious when you realize Japan didn't turn from an agrarian nation to a military / industrial superpower by themselves either...it took them 30 years to go from the "horse and carriage"-level to super-battleships and aircraft carriers. Most of this was fueled by US and UK technology and trade. The entire Japanese war machine right up to 1940 was built on Texas oil. It was only after the US oil imbargo that they had problems finding enough oil, and that caused them to invade south, through UK territory trying to secure oil supplies in indonesia. Basically they had a war machine entirely dependent on the USA, and when that support was taken away they needed to start the war - it was the last attempt at shoring up their government basically, as the entire military would have collapsed within 6 months without US oil.

One way to look at it (and holds true in many wars) is that the wealthy class made a lot of money by fueling these dictators aggressive ambitions in the first place, then when the shit hits the fan and that dictator is seen as out of control, it's the working class called upon to lay down their lives to stop the dictator, while the war profiteers double their money by backing the new war. You see this same pattern with Nazi Germany, Japan, Iraq and others.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 03:12:20 pm by Reelya »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #74714 on: April 22, 2015, 03:12:04 pm »

Plus in America, EVERYONE is a militiaman.
I mean, it's a constitutional responsibility.
I vaguely detect sarcasm but seriously that's one of the most annoying stereotypes I hear about us.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 4979 4980 [4981] 4982 4983 ... 11037