Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4971 4972 [4973] 4974 4975 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14501797 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #74580 on: April 20, 2015, 05:27:48 pm »

The issue I have with GMO is actually more that it gives Corperations an ensured monopoly.

Since one of the things they likely are already doing with GMO crops is giving them single generation lifespans.

---

It already stinks that it is tough enough to get good fruits and vegetables... given that right now they tend to modify them to grow big and quickly but don't account for taste.

I haven't studied the issue much, but is it really an ensured monopoly?  Is there anything stopping an interested party from making their own sci-fi supercrop?  I'm honestly asking, I wouldn't be surprised.

What I *expect* is that it's illegal to reverse-engineer the seeds, and I know they're designed such that people have to buy more.  Which seems completely fair to me.  Kinda surprised foreign governments or humanitarian groups haven't designed free, virile alternatives...  Suggesting there are laws prohibiting that.  Or that bioengineering is really time consuming and people deserve to profit from it?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #74581 on: April 20, 2015, 05:30:15 pm »

It wouldn't a problem if your government didn't put so much power in the hands of big corporations.

Exactly. Instead of regulating GMO crops we should be regulating the kinds of corporations that typically create them (and reforming intellectual property law)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74582 on: April 20, 2015, 06:43:33 pm »

Friend texts me asking me to stop playing what I was playing and instead help him in another game. I said no.

He started acting all sad, and sent me frowny face emotes and stuff like that. Shit, he just wants me to play so he can skip dungeon queues, like always. It's not going to kill him to play a healer or a tank for once. I mean, he's my friend and all, but every time we are online at the same time I almost always have to do whatever he wants me to do.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74583 on: April 20, 2015, 06:57:24 pm »

Hey, you said no! Good! :D
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74584 on: April 20, 2015, 07:06:45 pm »

Hey, you said no! Good! :D
This!

And yeah, if he can't get a party without bullying people, he should play an insecure healer like I do  ;D
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #74585 on: April 20, 2015, 08:19:15 pm »

The issue I have with GMO is actually more that it gives Corperations an ensured monopoly.

Since one of the things they likely are already doing with GMO crops is giving them single generation lifespans.

Except that that has literally never happened.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #74586 on: April 20, 2015, 08:27:01 pm »

I was under the impression that (large scale) farmers in general don't collect the seeds of whatever they farm for next year anyway, since it takes so much time and effort, as opposed to just buying new ones each year.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #74587 on: April 20, 2015, 08:30:03 pm »

Actually it used to be the case that everyone would, because it would save money, which is incredibly important for farmers. Now, however, you have monsanto writing up lawsuits on anyone who has bought their products and is saving seeds, or lives near someone who has bought seeds on the grounds that some of the seeds they may save might be monsanto's. Which turns out to be a huge fraction of everyone still in the agricultural business.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #74588 on: April 20, 2015, 08:35:32 pm »

I thought the issue with GMOs are the fact that they tend to mutate and be generally crap after the first generation.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74589 on: April 20, 2015, 08:38:36 pm »

Watchin' Daredevil on Netflix.

Shit's fucked.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #74590 on: April 20, 2015, 11:02:58 pm »

The issue with GMO is that they excrete mind-control agent that let the Illuminati rule the world. Well, rule the world more than they already do.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74591 on: April 20, 2015, 11:08:46 pm »

Obligatory https://xkcd.com/1013/

Except that that has literally never happened.
The hell?  I assumed all GMO foods were single generation.  Huh!
I guess that explains inspectors coming in and leveling claims against farmers whose fields accidentally get small amounts of GMO crops though...
She/they

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74592 on: April 20, 2015, 11:15:04 pm »

Was stuck in online chat with my friend. It was mostly dead silence, as usual.

Though he spent a fair amount of time complaining about how I wouldn't go to play games with him. He also complained about one time he missed the end of a Pathfinder campaign we were doing at the time.

This happened months ago. You would think we killed someone or something, the way he reacted to it. He was told ahead of time when the game was, and we postponed for two hours trying to contact him. Apparently we 'went behind his back'. It was unbelievable, and he'll never forgive us. "No one even apologized, it was like none of you even care."

It's not like we were sneaking around, setting up the game in private just so he couldn't play. Maybe this is why he's DMing his current campaign the way he is. Or he just likes his campaign so much that any failings of the campaign are the players' faults, and so nerfs us unaccordingly. Or he's bad with rulings.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74593 on: April 20, 2015, 11:26:11 pm »

Watchin' Daredevil on Netflix.

Shit's fucked.
Once you see the suit...
I am not.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74594 on: April 20, 2015, 11:28:10 pm »

Someone actually successfully sued a farmer for essentially "Pirating" their GMO crops...

Because during a rainstorm their seeds became mixed with his... and the way the law was set up meant that he could no longer use his own crops because they were considered the property of that company.

In spite putting a lot of years and effort into them.

GMO's because nothing says corporate douchbaggery quite the same way :D
Pages: 1 ... 4971 4972 [4973] 4974 4975 ... 11037