Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4886 4887 [4888] 4889 4890 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471650 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #73305 on: April 02, 2015, 01:20:50 pm »

I'd normally regret a few things Furtuka but no matter what I done in this situation the only proper move was not to make the thread.

Everything would have just boiled down to the very same event no matter what I did.

Even if it was the most well written, pandering, soft-spoken pile of trickle I could muster. It would have still been the same old "Well you just don't like roguelikes, I never have these problems, your just delusional" again and again.

And I was honestly tired of that. I am tired of it. I am tired of this constant "Well the problem is you" diatribe in everything. What value is that? Who enjoys those conversations?
You could've provided some constructive criticism as to what to actually do to alleviate that problem, you know.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73306 on: April 02, 2015, 01:23:07 pm »

You could've provided some constructive criticism as to what to actually do to alleviate that problem, you know.

Ok, I laughed.

No... That wouldn't have worked.

Plus I wasn't making a constructive criticism thread, I wanted to compare my playing at different points of time.

If I wanted to make a constructive criticism thread I would have. But as I said, it wouldn't have worked.

Ok sorry let me fill in the detail: The main reason it wouldn't work is for the most part the audience. Constructive criticism can be more offensive because it is not only saying something is "bad" but you are also saying that you are "Right". So thus I am giving people my imposed vision of what Adventure mode "should be".

It is far easier to make people agree that boogeymen are a little tedius, that Rivers are annoying, that equipment management is painful, that Companions kill steal.

Then it is to make people agree that boogeymen should be toned down, rivers should be crossed in travel mode, that equipment management should adopt a more traditional interface, and that companions should have a "Hold back" button that works on all of them at once.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:30:03 pm by Neonivek »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73307 on: April 02, 2015, 01:27:53 pm »

Ok, I laughed.

No... That wouldn't have worked.

Plus I wasn't making a constructive criticism thread, I wanted to compare my playing at different points of time.

If I wanted to make a constructive criticism thread I would have. But as I said, it wouldn't have worked.
You haven't tried. How do you know it wouldn't have worked if you haven't actually tried that?

Also,
But at this rate I'll have to remake this thread with the banlist... Just so I can have my thread.
What's with the obsession to have a thread that's yours? Forums are a place for debate, not for having a little tribune to monologue from.

If you wanted to have that, then why would you even leave the thread open? Just post whatever you want and lock it. Then periodically bump it.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73308 on: April 02, 2015, 01:30:52 pm »

Sorry Sergarr I did my unfortunate thing of making a post, then editing it like 5 times after I posted it xD

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73309 on: April 02, 2015, 01:43:31 pm »

Okay.

As to the points:

Then it is to make people agree that boogeymen should be toned down, rivers should be crossed in travel mode, that equipment management should adopt a more traditional interface, and that companions should have a "Hold back" button that works on all of them at once.
1) Say that bogeymen are evil creatures and thus should be restricted to evil areas, and because they're a creature preying on fear, high willpower prevents them from spawning.
2) Say that if your swimming level is higher than (some level which lets you swim in water without drowning), you can automatically cross rivers.
3) What do you mean by a "more traditional interface"? "More traditional" relative to what?
4) That would be an expansion of the already existing dialogue system to be able to issue combat commands.

See, what you need is to master the art of diplomacy - a false concession - what looks like a compromise but is actually working mostly in your favor. You seem to be a maximalist - you demand something and you expect to get all of it. That's why people are angry at you - not because your points are not valid - but because you refuse to accept the validity of points of other people.
._.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #73310 on: April 02, 2015, 01:47:36 pm »

Maybe rather than linking them to evil/good a nice path might be to link them to the overall "civilized"-ness of the area? Like go the whole "dark things lurk in the dark and dangerous corners of the world" path, so the more civilized an area is the weaker boogeymen get and the less chance they have of spawning overall (maybe with abandoned areas working in the opposite direction, and giving boogeymen a boost). That seems like it would kinda capture their essence as something that townsmen fear but city dwellers scoff at better IMO.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73311 on: April 02, 2015, 01:50:10 pm »

Actually I don't believe boogeymen should be limited to evil areas. They are the night, they are the living fear. They are why we fear the night.

I just think they make the game slow down a lot more then they make it more fun. You end up needing to adjust your play style around them more than anything else. Every single thing people tell me "counters boogeymen" is just another notch against them in my mind.

Since honestly, it isn't like needing to be sneaky near a goblin fortress... Or needing a powerful weapon against the Bronze colossus. That is just cause and effect and outside rare encounters you don't have to deal with them if you don't want to while still basically playing the game anyway you want to.

This is... You needing to throw a beach party every night, if you want to explore that is, because otherwise the night itself will swallow you up.

Even the concept of needing to exploit limitations in the games code that makes no canonical, thematic, of logical sense... It not something I would enjoy.

--

They should be a rare occurrence in my mind but where certain things make them more likely to show up so people can force them to appear.

Heck wouldn't boogeymen be awesome if being cursed makes them appear every night?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:57:10 pm by Neonivek »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #73314 on: April 02, 2015, 02:07:20 pm »

Lords above, why does FSTDT have so much horrifying stuff on it?
Because it'd clearly shit someone made up?
From what I can tell in the comments, this guy had said similar stuff before. He genuinely believes everything he just typed.
In other news, the first Church of Cannabis, ladies and gentlemen.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73315 on: April 02, 2015, 02:09:49 pm »

I remain doubtful.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #73316 on: April 02, 2015, 02:10:44 pm »

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:56:12 pm by penguinofhonor »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #73317 on: April 02, 2015, 02:16:33 pm »

Which does make it about as reputable as something put out by your average major news network, to be fair.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73318 on: April 02, 2015, 02:21:50 pm »

@Neo: Do please keep in mind that Tarn put bogeymen into the game as (for the most part) a placeholder.
He needed something to keep people from simply camping in the woods like nothing was wrong, and has had the intention of changing them once he got around to it. (Or at least, this is what I've heard.)

Bogeymen themselves will likely never leave. They've simply become too ingrained and canonical into the game to be kicked out. But they will likely be toned down in the future.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #73319 on: April 02, 2015, 02:25:06 pm »

Someone on the internet said it was real though!
Exactly.
And everybody knows that the Internet never lies.
Especially in comments sections.
Pages: 1 ... 4886 4887 [4888] 4889 4890 ... 11037