Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4855 4856 [4857] 4858 4859 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14448509 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #72840 on: March 27, 2015, 02:23:08 pm »

Eventually they'll understand what's past the final door without having to physically enter it, and they can be satisfied.
Humans do not work like that, I'm afraid. Unless they can physically see/touch the stuff, they will never believe what was written on a vault. They'll just say that: "stupid religion-like bullshit of the primitive ancient people, who would believe that something invisible can kill? Only a stupid uneducated person!". They did that with the Pharaoh's pyramids, which had the promises of unseen death to everyone who opens it, too.
You're making an assumption that these people would consider us primitive?

If it's a regressed culture though? That'd be more like those after the fall of rome. Who revered the Romans and tried to revive the empire. I don't know about you, but I don't think Charlemagne considered Augustus a "primitive moron."

Not to mention that a fair bit of our stuff would survive. Concrete roads, bunkers, preserved metals (i.e. in un-rusting conditions).
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #72841 on: March 27, 2015, 02:38:18 pm »

If they're more advanced technologically than the majority of the stuff that survives, then yes, they would consider us primitive.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #72842 on: March 27, 2015, 02:57:44 pm »

Hey, you people talking about futuristic civilization exploring our world, there's this award-winning interactive fiction about a xenohistorian exploring the "ruins of the ancient"

Glowgrass
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #72843 on: March 27, 2015, 03:08:07 pm »

This is also somewhat of the modified version of Shad0w out of Time retold in the Darkest of the Hillside Thickets album Shadow out of Tim, in which the military inadvertantly releases the Flying Polyps after following the trail of the alien that had come to check that their ancient prison was still intact.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #72844 on: March 27, 2015, 03:42:05 pm »

Man, xenoarcheology fascinates me. I'm sort of sad that I wasn't born a few hundred years in the future on a planet with alien ruins. That would be so rad.

Anyway, my WTF is how terrible "A Thousand Ways To Die in the West" is. It's as of they recruited their script writers on 9gag

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #72845 on: March 27, 2015, 03:43:49 pm »

miauw, technically the ancient barrows and inhabited caves were occupied by a species different from us. They just also happen to be our ancestors.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72846 on: March 27, 2015, 03:53:23 pm »

Man, xenoarcheology fascinates me. I'm sort of sad that I wasn't born a few hundred years in the future on a planet with alien ruins. That would be so rad.

Anyway, my WTF is how terrible "A Thousand Ways To Die in the West" is. It's as of they recruited their script writers on 9gag
I hope you've played The Dig, the old LucasArts adventure game.
Or rather, I hope you haven't played it and want to give it a try, it's pretty much what you're describing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72847 on: March 27, 2015, 04:35:29 pm »

So I was in a conversation a while ago about how "Original" Frozen was and that there was a lot of talk about how a woman with power is pretty original for a kids movie (which it kind of is).

But then someone said that if it was made a while ago Elsa and Anna would have probably been a guy.

Then it sparked me about how having those two characters as guys would be incredibly unbelievably rare. I've seen Sisterly love Duos but how many times have I seen brotherly love duos?

So I have to ask... Just so I am not confused

How many Brotherly Love Duos are there?

Guys almost NEVER have brothers they actually interact with, and if they are an older brother the older brother is usually a jerk.

But how many plots are hinged on the love between two brothers? Bonus points if the neither brother are "rowdy". (also NO! I am not counting Brother Bear... He is a surrogate father to me... THAT and he isn't actually his brother)

Ps. Not going to count brothers who aren't related either by blood or by actually being adopted by that person's father/mother.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 04:37:18 pm by Neonivek »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72848 on: March 27, 2015, 04:45:52 pm »

Uuhhhhh

The Deetles. From the movie Meet The Deetles.

why do i even know that exists
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72849 on: March 27, 2015, 04:58:31 pm »

I think HYBRID is honest-to-god the worst RPG I have ever seen. At least FATAL's rules are somewhat comprehensible, but HYBRID's "rules" make no sense whatsoever.
HERESY!
That's the thing though, if you're defining 'better' in terms of playability, FATAL is better, because the rules, perverse and needlessly complicated though they are, are still comprehensible enough for someone with sufficient time and intestinal fortitude to play it. A guy over in /tg/ ran a couple 1v1 FATAL combats a year or two ago. It's playable, just complete shit-tier mechanically on top of being irredeemably offensive and crude.
On the other hand, you might say that FATAL is worse, because you can actually play it, therefore experiencing the mental trauma of doing so, while HYBRID is just mercifully unplayable.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #72850 on: March 27, 2015, 05:34:32 pm »

According to someone I saw on an IRC who had just registered earlier today, Toady has now set it so that you need administrator approval for your account registration to be finalized.
It's FEF, not FEOF

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #72851 on: March 27, 2015, 05:52:04 pm »

But how many plots are hinged on the love between two brothers? Bonus points if the neither brother are "rowdy". (also NO! I am not counting Brother Bear... He is a surrogate father to me... THAT and he isn't actually his brother)

Ps. Not going to count brothers who aren't related either by blood or by actually being adopted by that person's father/mother.
Pretty much any time you get brothers in a plot who don't hate each other (which is rather common) they tend to go the "partners in X" route rather than the "saved by the power of love" route. If you're willing to accept brothers who get along with each other and work together as counting, then you can find quite a few films or TV shows like "Supernatural", "The Brother's Grimm", or "The Boondock Saints", in addition to the handful of more emotional ones like "A River Runs Through It", or
Spoiler: Spoiler Alert (click to show/hide)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #72852 on: March 27, 2015, 06:09:45 pm »

According to someone I saw on an IRC who had just registered earlier today, Toady has now set it so that you need administrator approval for your account registration to be finalized.
I learned that a couple months ago while helping Oobles set up his account to play mafia with me; he then decided forum mafia was too slow and never got past escaped lurker level.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #72853 on: March 27, 2015, 06:11:26 pm »

Tried to see if I could apply the super metroid randomizer to a ROM hack.

Didn't work, bombs weren't placed, so I checked why; as it turns out, every single item's location is a hardcoded hex value in the source code for the randomizer.

I'm not sure what I expected.

EDIT: Applying IPS patch to the randomized ROM works, however. It replaced the morph ball with the screw attack.

I'm not sure that's supposed to happen. You kind of need that thing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:22:06 pm by Putnam »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72854 on: March 27, 2015, 06:57:54 pm »

Was in a brawl today. Not really fond of people punching me in the head, but eh. 6-7 people, neighbours out, ambulances followed. My stepfather and mother got tumbled down some stairs, he got kicked in the head a bit so had to get him hospitalised. Crazy bitches all around. I didn't try to hurt anyone, just trying to pull people off folk. I dunno though. Maybe if I was more aggressive I could've prevented harm coming to people I care about. Who knows?

This was during/after trying to get my mother sectioned cause she's cray-cray and wants to jump in-front of a train or whatever. This day has been a wee bit stressful tbh.

Just a wee bit.
Pages: 1 ... 4855 4856 [4857] 4858 4859 ... 11040