Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4837 4838 [4839] 4840 4841 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14448489 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #72570 on: March 23, 2015, 02:57:03 am »

Caroline stories o___o

I love stories! Please tell more in the future!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #72571 on: March 23, 2015, 03:24:07 am »

Caroline stories o___o

I love stories! Please tell more in the future!
Only the happy stories, though.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72572 on: March 23, 2015, 07:03:35 am »

So I started to collect all the things we are taught in school that are outright false (Whoa it is a big list)

and I have to ask...

Why teach history wrong on purpose?

Why do we need to believe that Christopher Columbus discovered that the earth was round and that his entire expedition was about proving that fact? Why do we have to believe that Galileo invented the heliocentric model of the universe and that his prosecution was entirely created because of that? Why do we need to think Thomas Edison did anything? Why do we need to upgrade WW2 Germany to super villains? Why do we teach that John A McDonald was the first Prime Minister of Canada when that position didn't exist? Why do we teach that the Native Americans had no concept of ownership but that is in fact a horrific oversimplification that tries to make it look like a simple mistake? Why do we need to make all Native Americans one nation onto themselves rather then a loose collection of groups with different beliefs, ideals, languages, stances, wishes, dreams, and wants? Why do we gloss over all the horrific tragedies we done in WW2 OTHER then the interment camps (such as the lich mobs)?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72573 on: March 23, 2015, 07:06:51 am »

Oh boy, European history lessons sure are better than American ones.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #72574 on: March 23, 2015, 07:13:31 am »

...Lich... Mobs? I'm have to check my aggro.

Bad puns aside, it's hard to believe you're actually taught those ones.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72575 on: March 23, 2015, 07:13:45 am »

Yeah, American lich mobs were pretty horrific. Not unlike Nazi Zombie hordes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72576 on: March 23, 2015, 07:16:07 am »

Australians are taught that the resident indigenous we happily butchered were a loose collection of tribes all with different languages. Apparently the big, northern ones made excellent slaves, so they even knew it way back then.

Also in WTF news, was rewatching scrubs and it's got some current-society flaws I didn't notice way back when.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:20:22 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #72577 on: March 23, 2015, 07:25:53 am »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:38:11 pm by penguinofhonor »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72578 on: March 23, 2015, 07:40:05 am »

Yep I remember when Johnny Appleseed used all those apples he planted to stop a famine.

Ohh wait I am sorry... The apples he grew were only suitable for hard apple cider. :P

Lets just say that the folk tales and the real story are oddly different (though the parts that are real... will surprise you...)

Also yep I am Canadian and because of that I have to learn American history too... from both television and we learn a bit of it in school.

Mind you not as avid as the Americans try to be (seriously you went to the moon first... get over it)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:42:44 am by Neonivek »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #72579 on: March 23, 2015, 07:43:30 am »

It gets better than that...Appleseed actually did embody America's values, just not in a way that any elementary school teacher wants to talk about. Appleseed was an extremely canny real estate agent- back in the bad old days before sanitation, of course, you wouldn't drink water straight up- you needed alcohol. Beer was rare before the Germans came to America en masse, and whiskey was expensive and took time to get going, so the early pioneers in places like Ohio and Kentucky in the 1800's and 1810's would go for apple cider. Appleseed went ahead of the homesteaders, planted apples on good land, then showed them around all this land he owned that had apples ready to go on them, which he could sell for a tidy profit because the apples made the land more valuable.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72580 on: March 23, 2015, 07:46:42 am »

They say he was generous.

Yet I never found anything that suggests he was... Did he do anything that he didn't benefit from?

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #72581 on: March 23, 2015, 07:46:47 am »

I'm on a school computer right now, wanted to check forum so started typing "bay" in address bar, it suggests www.bay12games.com/dwarves/. I have never gone there, so there's someone who plays DF in my school. I'm quite surprised.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72582 on: March 23, 2015, 08:25:14 am »

I know in the US we hate teaching anything that makes us look bad.
Depends on grade level and teh class.  In U.S history we went over a lot of very unflattering history. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #72583 on: March 23, 2015, 08:35:54 am »

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:37:00 pm by penguinofhonor »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #72584 on: March 23, 2015, 08:40:08 am »

Its pretty random in my experience.  In middle school, I think maybe even elementary school, we covered Japanese internment.  But one of my high school textbooks neglected to mention it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 4837 4838 [4839] 4840 4841 ... 11040