Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4715 4716 [4717] 4718 4719 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14450594 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #70740 on: February 26, 2015, 11:12:36 pm »

Blood for Armok, to correct this chromatic catastrophe

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #70741 on: February 26, 2015, 11:13:45 pm »

* Orange Wizard snatches Caroline's matches.

TOO BAD

I'M BURNING YOU ALL BEFORE YOUR CRAZY RUBS OFF ON ME
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #70742 on: February 26, 2015, 11:13:56 pm »

No, it's a crappily chromatic Catastrophe.
Perhaps even a crappily cooked chromatic catastrophe.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #70743 on: February 26, 2015, 11:17:09 pm »

* Orange Wizard snatches Caroline's matches.

TOO BAD

I'M BURNING YOU ALL BEFORE YOUR CRAZY RUBS OFF ON ME

* ggamer grabs Orange Wizard's hand

but can't you see ow, we're all really you

and then everyone was OW

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #70744 on: February 26, 2015, 11:19:52 pm »

Oh. I see RubyQuest and NanQuest are leaking into Bay12.

The explanation I heard (Probably not correct, granted) was that people who are used to looking for the "actual" color of something, and accounting for lighting and the like (Artists, photographers, graphic designers, etc.) are more likely to see it as white and gold, whereas those who aren't will probably see white and blue. How true or why this is, I don't know.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70745 on: February 26, 2015, 11:23:02 pm »

The dress is most likely white and gold.

It likely looks blue due to a crappy phone camera. Most phones just assume a grey world (i.e. that the average colour of the image should be grey) and will adjust the colour of the image to make the image average grey. This leads to problems with certain conditions. In particular, the large amount of yellow in the background and on the gold parts of the shirt itself is probably causing the camera to tint the image blue to try and compensate. Also the fact that many LED backlit LCD's (what your likely viewing it on) are often heavily blue-tinted.

Here is a link demonstrating some of the problems with the Grey World Assumption.

Colour is actually quite a complex concept.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:25:08 pm by alexandertnt »
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #70746 on: February 26, 2015, 11:25:41 pm »

I see pink and purple polka-dots.

I was gonna make a post about how it's probably due to the funky lighting in the picture that people can't agree on the color. The photo looks like brown and blue but I can see why people would argue it's white and gold.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70747 on: February 26, 2015, 11:35:20 pm »

Oh. I see RubyQuest and NanQuest are leaking into Bay12.

The explanation I heard (Probably not correct, granted) was that people who are used to looking for the "actual" color of something, and accounting for lighting and the like (Artists, photographers, graphic designers, etc.) are more likely to see it as white and gold, whereas those who aren't will probably see white and blue. How true or why this is, I don't know.
I'm not an artist of any stripe. But it's obviously gold and white that appears brown and blue because it's in shadow. I mean, common sense.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #70748 on: February 26, 2015, 11:43:23 pm »

The first time I saw it there was no way I could get my head to tilt in a way that made it look white and gold.

Now I can't see it being blue and black.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #70749 on: February 27, 2015, 12:00:30 am »

This conversation hurts my head, and my eyes.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70750 on: February 27, 2015, 12:13:14 am »

I see blue and brown.  But it's a very light blue.  No frikking clue where they get the black from though.  Might be part of the thing where people think cameras and computer monitors can accurately capture and display every color under the rainbow when they very much can not.

My hypothosis is that it appears blue to people who spend a significant amount of time looking at computer screens and are more accustomed to the smaller pallete.  And those who do not simply see it as white.   Honestly curious if anybody has ever done any actual research into this kind of thing.  This is not the first place I've heard of this kind of thing happening.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70751 on: February 27, 2015, 12:14:02 am »

It looks like claymation, fo all things, was used for the special effects in the first two robocops.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70752 on: February 27, 2015, 12:59:01 am »

I see blue and brown.  But it's a very light blue.  No frikking clue where they get the black from though.  Might be part of the thing where people think cameras and computer monitors can accurately capture and display every color under the rainbow when they very much can not.

My hypothosis is that it appears blue to people who spend a significant amount of time looking at computer screens and are more accustomed to the smaller pallete.  And those who do not simply see it as white.   Honestly curious if anybody has ever done any actual research into this kind of thing.  This is not the first place I've heard of this kind of thing happening.

The camera and computer is more than capable of capturing/displaying white, so it's not the limited colour. It's the camera's inability to properly capture the colours in the scene.

People are capable of perceiving colours fairly accurately under a variety of different lighting conditions, so a bluish or reddish light generally won't hinder our ability to perceive the colour of objects. For example, we know from prior knowledge that a wall is white. So when we see that the wall is in fact red, our mind knows that there is a red light and allows us to perceive other objects true colour more accurately with that information. The object which is actually being picked up by the eye as purple is actually being perceived by our mind as blue.

That image has very little information in it, however. We are unfamiliar with the dress, the background, the environment etc. And as such our mind will start guessing information about the scene, such as colour. With little information to go on, the result will vary between persons. Some people will perceive its white and gold because the poster told them it was white and gold (this does influence your perception). I perceived it as white and gold because I am familiar with the process digital cameras use to capture images (and as such am familiar with how poor configurations will affect an image).

The image looks blue because blue tinted because of the poorly configured colour correction (as far as I can tell, anyway). The camera is trying to make the image "look good" by balancing the colours, but it does not have the knowledge that the colours should not be balanced the way it is balancing them (as most of the image is yellow from light, most of the image should be yellow, but it doesn't know this because its a dumb camera).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #70753 on: February 27, 2015, 01:16:53 am »

Here's another picture of that dress:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I see blue/black. My sister and her friend see white/gold. This is baffling.
EDIT: I mean we see those colours in the original image, not this one.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #70754 on: February 27, 2015, 01:25:23 am »

I spend huge amounts of time staring at computer screens and I'm the one most loudly advocating Camp White.

fakeedit:
Here's another picture of that dress:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I see blue/black. My sister and her friend see white/gold. This is baffling.
EDIT: I mean we see those colours in the original image, not this one.
You bastard.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 4715 4716 [4717] 4718 4719 ... 11040